• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RDG trial/Budget announcement: 26-30 Railcard from Spring 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsnedders

Established Member
Well, it seems a justifiable reason to have such a card. Alas, the idea that this might be some sort of a sounding board for a truly National railcard available to anyone, of the sort our Continental neighbours have had for years, seems unfounded.
Does anywhere else in Europe have the variety of railcards we have? Most places I'm aware of either have almost none or a national railcard?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Does anywhere else in Europe have the variety of railcards we have? Most places I'm aware of either have almost none or a national railcard?

Hopefully one of our more well travelled members will be able to confirm as I'm not aware of any.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
DB may well have more, having two discount levels x 1st and 2nd class, and a junior variant of 2nd class only.

SBB has only the one I believe, though may have multiple price levels for it. (That's how I think we should do it - one set of discounts/T&Cs but the price different depending on entitlement).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
DB may well have more, having two discount levels x 1st and 2nd class, and a junior variant of 2nd class only.

SBB has only the one I believe, though may have multiple price levels for it. (That's how I think we should do it - one set of discounts/T&Cs but the price different depending on entitlement).

For DB, with the exception of the junior version, the cards are available to everyone, with only the product varying, rather than eligibility, so I would count that as being one railcard (with different discounts).

ooo

Are there any other countries that have national railcards apart from Switzerland and Germany then? I know SNCF have a number of different railcards but I don't think they have a general one.

I don't think has any one has as comprehensive a range of railcards as we do. Probably France and Austria come closest with options for weekend travellers, families and senior citizens. The French ones in general can't be used on local journeys in the Paris region. DB offers 25 and 50% cards, with no peak hour restrictions, but has no special facilities for senior citizens, youth or those with disabilities etc. Switzerland has a 50% card and a 'Gleis 7' card for youth < 26 years but which can only be used after 1900. NS offers an off-peak only card in various guises, as does SNCB/NMBS. Both of these have additional discounts for the over 60s.

jon0844

Veteran Member
We have many railcards and most stations have racks with all of the individual ones, but I rarely see anyone take any. Maybe now we have the digital cards, it's time to streamline and produce a simple leaflet covering all cards - and for websites to have a wizard style system to establish what railcards might suit someone (what's your age, how much do you travel, do you have children, do you travel with a partner, are you a full time student etc).

I expect a lot of people know the obvious railcards, like young persons (yet don't know it can be for older students) and senior or disabled, but do they know the others? Just as I bet many people have no clue about plusBus.

island

Veteran Member
Ireland used to have a range including student, 16-25 but not student, a general one valid only for weekend intercity trips (out Fri-Sun back by Monday), and an annual season ticket holder discount (only valid for online bookings, not at stations). There was never a senior one as over 65s get free nationwide rail (and bus/tram) travel. The 16-25 non-student and weekender have however been withdrawn.

But presumably these are available to everyone.
Yes, that's right. In the UK we have a wide range of railcard options (about 20 seem to be listed on NRE, with all the local variants) but no national rail card. NS, SNCB, DB and SBB do have a national card, the first two not being valid in weekday peaks.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, that's right. In the UK we have a wide range of railcard options (about 20 seem to be listed on NRE, with all the local variants) but no national rail card. NS, SNCB, DB and SBB do have a national card, the first two not being valid in weekday peaks.

Well indeed. It's a sorry state of affairs in this country.

When are the wonders of enterprise going to result in a national railcard !

Gareth Marston

Established Member
We have many railcards and most stations have racks with all of the individual ones, but I rarely see anyone take any. Maybe now we have the digital cards, it's time to streamline and produce a simple leaflet covering all cards - and for websites to have a wizard style system to establish what railcards might suit someone (what's your age, how much do you travel, do you have children, do you travel with a partner, are you a full time student etc).

I expect a lot of people know the obvious railcards, like young persons (yet don't know it can be for older students) and senior or disabled, but do they know the others? Just as I bet many people have no clue about plusBus.

Our railcard sales are the equivalent of about 17% of the population of the town we serve we do see the plastic ones bought online and to date I have seen one person buy with a digital railcard. We do have a local railcard the Cambrian Railcard. The sales of these are equivalent to 10% of the population.Sales of Seniors are equal to the other national cards combined.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think it being off-peak would be reasonable. Railcards exist to generate off-peak travel.

I disagree in respect of the 16-25 railcard. I will repeat a recent example I posted.

Consider Stevenage-London Terminals. Anytime Day Return is £21.30 or £3,612 per annum. This is a huge amount for a young worker to pay to commute into London at a time in their career when they're probably not earning much.

With a 16-25 railcard they can travel for £14.05 per day, which also has the benefit allowing young worker to pay as they go so they avoid the upfront cost of an annual season ticket. Assuming 5 weeks holiday and 8 bank holidays this works out at 227 journeys costing £3,189. I know season tickets offer other benefits but they're unlikely to trump the saving here.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I disagree in respect of the 16-25 railcard. I will repeat a recent example I posted.

Consider Stevenage-London Terminals. Anytime Day Return is £21.30 or £3,612 per annum. This is a huge amount for a young worker to pay to commute into London at a time in their career when they're probably not earning much.

With a 16-25 railcard they can travel for £14.05 per day, which also has the benefit allowing young worker to pay as they go so they avoid the upfront cost of an annual season ticket. Assuming 5 weeks holiday and 8 bank holidays this works out at 227 journeys costing £3,189. I know season tickets offer other benefits but they're unlikely to trump the saving here.

This is true, but its true for everyone who has to work in London. Of course, Government/RDG could decide to have more relaxed conditions for the 16 - 25 holders of the railcard for precisely the reasons you state (the example a few posts back of the Goldman Sachs worker using a YP railcard to commute to a £50k job not withstanding), but that's outside of the usual commercial motive for having railcards, which is to encourage discretionary travel at off-peak times.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This is true, but its true for everyone who has to work in London. Of course, Government/RDG could decide to have more relaxed conditions for the 16 - 25 holders of the railcard for precisely the reasons you state (the example a few posts back of the Goldman Sachs worker using a YP railcard to commute to a £50k job not withstanding), but that's outside of the usual commercial motive for having railcards, which is to encourage discretionary travel at off-peak times.

I doubt the Government would want to introduce more restrictions on the use of the 16-25 railcard at a time when they're trying to assist this group of people with the cost of living, purchasing a house etc.

I agree that it's unpalatable for someone earning £50k per year to be able to use a 16-25 railcard to obtain discounted travel to work but that'll be a tiny minority of users. Far better to have something that works for the majority which the current set-up does.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
The local railcards I pretty sure have no restrictions certainly not the ones in Wales. The intention is / was just to get people traveling. Having any peak/ off peak restriction is non sensical on many regional lines. If we had one national definition off peak/ peak and where that applies the railcard restrictions could be linked to it.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The local railcards I pretty sure have no restrictions certainly not the ones in Wales. The intention is / was just to get people traveling. Having any peak/ off peak restriction is non sensical on many regional lines. If we had one national definition off peak/ peak and where that applies the railcard restrictions could be linked to it.

Some of these lines could do with some off-peak fares for starters !

danm14

The 16-25 non-student and weekender have however been withdrawn.

The normal "student travelcard" has in effect been withdrawn too, it is mainly marketed for its lower Leap card fares and caps, and some store discounts - it appears from my own experience in a college town where a Leap card is of no use to have close to 0% penetration among students not from an area where a Leap card is of use.

A student card from any college worldwide is now accepted by Irish Rail for single/return tickets, and one from most colleges in Ireland is valid for season tickets. Unusually, considering their discount is usually a maximum of €5 vs Irish Rail's €40+ for walk-ups, Bus Eireann is stricter, requiring an Irish student card even for singles and returns

Translink Northern Ireland's yLink card, costing £8, is available to anyone between 16 and 23 (even those living outside Northern Ireland, though you must apply in person at a bus or rail station). It is accepted by Irish Rail (and Bus Eireann) for student fares (as it replaced Translink's Student Identity Card), so in a sense it is a relatively unknown, unofficial "16-23 railcard".

greatkingrat

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42052750

Railcards offering discounted train travel are to be extended to people up to 30 years old.

Chancellor Philip Hammond is set to announce the extension in Wednesday's Budget after a successful trial that convinced the Treasury the move would be revenue neutral.

Currently, the young persons' railcard is for the 16-25 age bracket, but a new 26-30 card will be introduced.

The so-called millennials' card will be available from about Spring 2018.

A trial of the 26-30 year-olds card took place in East Anglia and will now be rolled-out nationally.

It will cost about £30 and travellers will get up to one third off ticket fares, although there will be restrictions on peak-time travel.

Railcards were introduced as a way for train companies to help fill seats during off-peak times. The card for 16 to 25-year-olds has existed in one form or another since 1974.

I'm a bit confused about what is happening now as the trial hasn't even started yet, and yet RDG are already declaring it a success?

gavin

16-30 discount card confirmed by the Treasury will be introuced around spring 2018

whhistle

On Moderation
The problem here is they're missing a whole group of people who are 28-35 who have also been shat on by the Government. Granted, not as much as perhaps the post-2000's but anyone who was born 1984/5 up to 1999 has been completely missed out.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
anyone who was born 1984/5 up to 1999 has been completely missed out.

Not sure how that is the case.

I am currently 27, born in 1990. My 16-25 railcard ran out in May this year (when I turned 27). Assuming the 26-30 railcard is introduced in the first half of next year as expected, I'll get 3 years of being able to have one after just 1 year of not being able to have a railcard. Would I like the new railcard to carry on until I am 35 - of course! But there is no way you can say I'd "completely miss out".

And if you were born in 1999, well you'd only be 18 this year so really have no idea what you are on about!

Unless you are running a decade out in your numbers, in which case apologies!

Status
Not open for further replies.