• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Re-opening Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbon 1

So, tonight on the train from Burton on Trent to Newark Castle. All was well until we got off at Newark, as the door closing beeps were sounding, my heart sank as I had realised I'd left my bag on the train. My first instinct was to run to the guard, but as he had already kindly closed the doors, I ran to the drivers window and asked him if he was finishing at Lincoln, which ultimately was our final destination.

So my question to the community is : if I'd asked him, can the driver order the re-opening of doors to the guard, or would this have only been likely on DOO trains?

We got the bag back, so no need to worry :D

Cheers,
Matt

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Matt Taylor

Established Member
If it were me I would reopen, by the time the driver has explained why the doors should be reopened you could have got your bag and we'd be ready to go again. We are asked not to reopen the doors unless it's an emergency and I would rather reopen as per the drivers request and ask questions later than refuse and possibly have an incident.

GadgetMan

From experience, if you'd asked the driver; he would have spoken to the guard over the cab-cab phone. The guard would then either release the doors for you or say something along the lines of "f***em, tell em to ring customer services", Buzz Buzz.

Can the driver order the guard to release the doors? Unless it's an emergency then it is not the drivers place to get involved in door procedure on this part of the network as guards have full control unless it's a meridian.

In future, you'd be better off approaching the guard if he/she hasn't closed their local door yet.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I work on trains where the driver opens and closes the doors on order of the guard (its not just 220/221/222's that do this btw) and while having to reopen the doors isnt a daily occurrence it happens reasonably often. "Order" is a strong word, but one can ask the other to do it and it should always happen. As long as the driver and the guard come to a clear understanding what is going on then it's all good.

tirphil

If after speaking to the driver in the above scenario the driver could buzz 3-3-1 to get the doors released, however the driver isn't obliged to do so.

GadgetMan

If after speaking to the driver in the above scenario the driver could buzz 3-3-1 to get the doors released, however the driver isn't obliged to do so.

Much quicker to use cab-cab phone. As a guard who doesn't use those buzzer codes very often my confusion would lead to speaking to driver anyway :lol:.

tirphil

Much quicker to use cab-cab phone. As a guard who doesn't use those buzzer codes very often my confusion would lead to speaking to driver anyway :lol:.

On the Cambrian we rarely use cab to cab as the guard is almost always within the train selling/checking tickets.

TDK

Established Member
So, tonight on the train from Burton on Trent to Newark Castle. All was well until we got off at Newark, as the door closing beeps were sounding, my heart sank as I had realised I'd left my bag on the train. My first instinct was to run to the guard, but as he had already kindly closed the doors, I ran to the drivers window and asked him if he was finishing at Lincoln, which ultimately was our final destination.

So my question to the community is : if I'd asked him, can the driver order the re-opening of doors to the guard, or would this have only been likely on DOO trains?

We got the bag back, so no need to worry :D

Cheers,
Matt

The guard has asked me to re-open the doors on many occasions, I will only do this if I have not taken power and have to stop but it happens quite a lot usually for passengers wanting to board.

O L Leigh

Established Member
DOO: It depends. If it's 8 cars back or you're not sure where it is I might not re-release because of the time penalty, but I would take a description of the bag and then go to look for it once I've arrived at the destination and make sure it gets handed in.

O L Leigh

Status
Not open for further replies.