• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reactions test help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCLeeds

I've just found this link to the practice reactions test here on the forum:

Reactions test:

http://www.krismason.org/files/reactiontest.zip

[[/B]

But I dont understand what you are meant to do as there are no instructions; the keyboard pdf doesnt make sense. I get colours and bleeps but can anyone tell me how you do it? Or any other good reaction test practises out there?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daddy_badger

you need a chaperone (sp) basically print out the sheet that comes with it and with your hands press the corrosponding bit of paper except use of your feet for the pedals.

bop it or Simon games widely available playing intense console games, tetris etc...

Last edited:

Silv1983

There are no instructions because....erm... well nevermind!

As already mentioned you play "pretend".

I think the jury are still out on Bop It... personally I think the absence of visual changes / lights etc and positional cues can mis-train the reactions of candidates.

Personally I don't think there is any practice material out there that'll make much difference. I got myself Bop-It but I don't think it's anything like the real thing so am unsure if it was a help or not. Just keep your cool and don't chase it if you get out of sync. I felt I'd made a few errors the last time I did it but was told I'd achieved 'perfection' by the assessor. You're on the machine for about 6 minutes I think but they only take your score from certain parts of that time?

paulgreen32

After doing the reaction test a few weeks ago and after being told we need to reach a higher benchmark to progress honestly its not that difficult. Stay calm and try not to care if u pass ( i know its impossible ) but try. I was super nervous and couldnt stop shaking during the test and still passed. When it speeds up to much pause take half a second and try again if its still to fast pause again and try again. You will hit the wrong buttons i did what felt like many times just keep calm and keep on !

DunfordBridge

bop it or Simon games widely available playing intense console games, tetris etc...

Tetris is good in the sense that it can get very chaotic very quickly and as such is a good test of reaction times and the ability to make instant decisions. It will also highlight any tendency to panic and make a wrong move.

However, I would perservere with the Kris Mason download. I personally believe that there is no comparison to the test scenario where coloured circles are appearing randomly all over the screen. Furthermore, Tetris in my opinion is comparatively not as beneficial in this context in that all the blocks are originating in a fixed area of the screen and you do not have as many buttons to manipulate.

The perceived limitation with the download is that it is just a visual stimulus for practice. There is no feedback on your performance. Secondly, there is no provision for emulating the second part of the test where the speed of the test is controlled by your reactions purely because the download does not seem to be designed to be interactive.

I would like to stress that I have been nowhere near a DTG test in real life but I have no reason to doubt the excellent advice offered on these pages and other threads on this forum. I would forget Google and just do a search on this site for DTG test.

I would like to add that playing Tetris can be very time-consuming and I am sure the time could be better invested in other areas of preparation. The choice is yours.

Last edited:

KT530

The real thing goes nowhere near as fast as the practice software. If you can get down to about 700 speed on the practice software, you should be fine.

The foot pedal controls are controlled the heel part of your foot. Make sure you adjust the foot pedals so you are comfortable, otherwise you will get a shaky leg

Informe

The real thing goes nowhere near as fast as the practice software. If you can get down to about 700 speed on the practice software, you should be fine.

The foot pedal controls are controlled the heel part of your foot. Make sure you adjust the foot pedals so you are comfortable, otherwise you will get a shaky leg

Good advice here. The test isn't too hard but I just wasn't comfortable with my foot position so ended up with my foot floating over the pedals instead of resting on them. My legs got shaky and took some of my focus, still got through though.

I'd like to have done it in my socks tbh but they my start to get worried about what else I was going to take off, people handle stress differently after all :)

Silv1983

Strange technique! Maybe that's why you got shaky legs...

You press down on the pedals with the balls of your feet... just don't wear new shoes that are shiny underneath as you'll slip and slide all over like I did. :lol:

Good advice here. The test isn't too hard but I just wasn't comfortable with my foot position so ended up with my foot floating over the pedals instead of resting on them. My legs got shaky and took some of my focus, still got through though.

I'd like to have done it in my socks tbh but they my start to get worried about what else I was going to take off, people handle stress differently after all :)

I did mine in my socks as had ridiculous pointy office worker shoes on. :) Also used the balls of my feet rather than the heels. You do need to make sure you're comfortable though as I did find I was getting cramp in my leg with it hovering over the pedal...

lvaxb24

Best advice I could give is don't hover your feet over the pedals or rest them on the pedals. Keep them on the floor next to the pedals and give your brain that split second to avoid pressing the pedals in error.

NI 271

Best advice I could give is don't hover your feet over the pedals or rest them on the pedals. Keep them on the floor next to the pedals and give your brain that split second to avoid pressing the pedals in error.

I'd echo this. I got a borderline through over-reacting with my feet, having hovered. They'll be on the deck next time.

Mike32

I've just found this link to the practice reactions test here on the forum:

Reactions test:

http://www.krismason.org/files/reactiontest.zip

[[/B]

But I dont understand what you are meant to do as there are no instructions; the keyboard pdf doesnt make sense. I get colours and bleeps but can anyone tell me how you do it? Or any other good reaction test practises out there?

Many thanks

I dont have authorization to to download the test, could you pleas help me what m i suppose to write as username and password if order to download the test?

Status
Not open for further replies.