• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Read eBay Descriptions Carefully...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

This one tickled me especially: This item is just a regular torch with a sticky note under it that reads "Olympics London 2012" currently bidding with a single bid at £150k with and yes, I don't think I'm going mad, it says £100 delivery too. Fear not, there are 6 days and 20 hours remaining... :roll:

Not sure how but ebay bids are easy to fake apparently. Not so sure about 73 of them as in the op, but one 150k bid isn't much to go on, the same thing happened with Boxxy's messenger bag.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
This one tickled me especially: This item is just a regular torch with a sticky note under it that reads "Olympics London 2012" currently bidding with a single bid at £150k with and yes, I don't think I'm going mad, it says £100 delivery too. Fear not, there are 6 days and 20 hours remaining... :roll:

£150,000 was the starting price, though. The photograph in the OP started at 99p.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Who wants a holiday house for under £1200?

The description is the best I've ever seen on eBay.

deltic1989

Established Member

Thats probably the funniest thing I have seen on ebay since some bloke sold an air guitar.

Who wants a holiday house for under £1200?

The description is the best I've ever seen on eBay.

That's .........erm............creative discription.

Bungle73

On Moderation

How can you guys say that's not misleading?? Of course it is! The title says "Olypmic Torch", not "Olympic Torch Picture". This is a clear attempt by the seller to con people, and it seems eBay agrees which is why they removed it.

Except ebay usually side with the buyer in all disputes regardless of who is in the rights as they'd rather lose a seller than a customer, especially a private seller instead of a business

eBay's customer IS the seller.

Badger

How can you guys say that's not misleading?? Of course it is! The title says "Olypmic Torch", not "Olympic Torch Picture". This is a clear attempt by the seller to con people, and it seems eBay agrees which is why they removed it.

The description clearly said "you are bidding on a picture of...", and the FAQ directly beneath it answered "am I bidding on the torch or a picture" with "a picture".

GB

Established Member
You buy from eBay based on the description, not the title. If people are too thick to read the description then they are fools.

Bungle73

On Moderation
The description clearly said "you are bidding on a picture of...", and the FAQ directly beneath it answered "am I bidding on the torch or a picture" with "a picture".

The title is supposed to describe what the product is. It does not.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The title is supposed to describe what the product is. It does not.

I agree.

An honest seller would be using an appropriate descriptor in all parts of his advert. "Olympic Torch" is not an appropriate descriptor of an Olympic torch photo. Missing out the crucial word "photo" is highly likely to be misleading and an act aimed at confusing buyers.

The seller knows that an Olympic torch is an exciting item and is likely to get people's heart racing.

Disgusting behaviour.

SS4

Established Member
eBay's customer IS the seller.

And the buyer in turn. If a buyer gets burnt on ebay they'll think twice and not buy as much stuff which means ebay lose on fees. Getting rid of a seller, especially an individual, is no great loss as there are plenty of sellers out there as auctions are largely a buyer's market

Bungle73

On Moderation
And the buyer in turn.
No. Who do eBay get paid by? Exactly.

If a buyer gets burnt on ebay they'll think twice and not buy as much stuff which means ebay lose on fees. Getting rid of a seller, especially an individual, is no great loss as there are plenty of sellers out there as auctions are largely a buyer's market
Again no. There are plenty of buyers around. If one buyer decides not to use eBay again there are thousands of others to take his place.

Every seller gone is lost income for eBay.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Do I need to mention that it was in the "Photography -> Photos" category?

You may.

I wonder how many people got to that page by searching the term "Olympic torch" and how many got there through a search term involving the word "photo".

I also wonder what proportion of buyers actually check out the category an item is listed under.

Ivo

Established Member
I guess it had to happen sooner or later!

By the way... aren't boxes of matches prohibited items for sending in the post?!

Correct.

According to the Post Office's website, you cannot send (among others):

Flammable solids
Solid materials which may cause fire by friction, absorption of water, spontaneous chemical changes or retained heat from manufacturing or processing, or which can be readily ignited and burn vigorously.

This includes adhesives, calcium carbide, cellulose nitrate products, matches, metallic magnesium, nitro-cellulose based film, phosphorous, potassium, sodium, sodium hydride, zinc powder and zirconium hydride.

Matches of any kind
See Flammable solids for more examples.

wintonian

Established Member
Apparently you also can't send:

Counterfeit currency, bank notes and postage stamps

This doesn’t include copies of old denominations that can’t be used as money, and are now obsolete and worthless except for their collectable value.

Which begs the question of what do you put on the envelope as payment?

But then I'm more worried about the radio active waste and pathogens I have at the back of my fridge that I was going to send to the Royal Society.

Status
Not open for further replies.