• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Read eBay Descriptions Carefully...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
"I don't believe it!" (Had to be said)

Seriously, I also subscribe to the policy of reading almost everything. Anyway, plenty of people have put spoof idems on eBay, and I sometimes wonder how they stop the sale going through.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
At the same time, I really wish ebay would do more against sellers like this. It is clearly an attempt to mislead people just to get money.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Ebay won't do much if it makes them money, it's not in their interest to do so and in this case the item is actually described as a photo rather than the actual thing, even if the item title is misleading.

wintonian

Established Member
I don't really see much that is misleading, ok it could say 'picture' in the title but they have made it very clear in the description and in answer to the questions that its a picture that is on offer.

IMO if you are stupid enough to spend what is a bonkers amount of money in the first place and you can't be bothered to read the description at all or carefully then that's your look out I'm afraid.

RPM

Established Member
Well that's cheered me up for the day :D
I have to agree with wintonian, the auction isn't misleading at all - not to anyone of average intelligence anyway. Somehow though, I don't think that sale will make it to completion.

deltic1989

Established Member
151 Grand for a photograph!?!?!?!?!?!?! :shock: , I need to start putting my photgraphs on fleabay.

Seriously though, the listing is in no way misleading, it clearly states that it is a photograph on offer, I learned (admittedly after being burned) to read and re-read the discription carefully before bidding.

It would appear Gentlemen, from looking at this though that there are more than a few idiots among us.

Clip

Established Member
Do we really expect that the buyer will be paying £151,100.00 ?

I dont expect that at all.. Stupid people though in herit this earth Dave.

there was a woman on BBC breakfast who was a torch bearer and has put hers up for sale, she was mentioning how much abuse she had got for doing so even though that the money raised will be going to charity.. And lots of fake bids for hers too - £151K or something. She'll get nowhere near that seeing how one for the last time the Olympics was here went for just £3500 IIRC.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
They legally have to unless the seller agrees to a bid retraction.
Indeed, though that's not quite what I was asking!

The winning buyer appears to have been busy bidding recently, winning bids in Wedding Dresses, Hair Straighteners, Girls Clothing and Motorcycle Parts.

I'd not be surprised if they are unable and/or unwilling to pay (or if pursued, then settle at £5 per month which is then paid for the first few months before 'disappearing').

GB

Established Member

That means nothing these days tho. All that would happen is that the seller would open an unpaid item dispute and get refunded the selling and listing fee.

Ebay is not once what it used to be that is for sure.

SS4

Established Member

Except ebay usually side with the buyer in all disputes regardless of who is in the rights as they'd rather lose a seller than a customer, especially a private seller instead of a business

deltic1989

Established Member
Ebay is not once what it used to be that is for sure.

I agree with that there are too many wallies on there now that ruin it for the genuine buyers.

I have experience of fleabay from the buying and selling perspective and I have been messed about both ways, I won't go into details here but lets say the 3 year old excuse came up more than once.

Its got to the point now where I would rather advertise my wares on facebook and gumtree than risk getting burned on ebay, as the so called buyer and seller protection is a joke.

Having said that there are still a fair few honest ebayers out there and I have had the pleasure of dealing with a lot of them, one seller was so good that I bought 2 cars from him (allbeit 2 years apart). Its seems that there is a case of the few ruining it for the many, as with most things in modern life.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I moved to selling items on Amazon a few years ago, it's far more secure and the back-up offered by Amazon is excellent. You pay fees only when you sell and item too, so no fees re-listing if the item doesn't sell. Wouldn't touch eBay with a barge pole (as a seller) now, got burned once too often.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Except ebay usually side with the buyer in all disputes regardless of who is in the rights as they'd rather lose a seller than a customer, especially a private seller instead of a business

Totally true. eBay are so concerned with the $$$ that they are alienating their important sellers (i.e. those who don't just sell a few things from the attic now and then). They'll never create the professional image that Amazon has (for both buyers and sellers!).

With regard to the Olympic torches, if people are stupid enough to bid thousands on a picture, so be it. Congrats to the seller!

Ivo

Established Member
Looking at some of those prices it's quite clear that there is some misleading going on...

Oh, and £75K for what may as well just be a signature?

Established Member
This happened with the 20ps that were minted incorrectly - some people 'sold' pictures of the 20ps, while some sold other 20ps that had been minted correctly, but the description was made to look like it was in fact from the other batch.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There are a large number of photos of the torch listed at £499.99 "buy it now" at the moment...:roll:

TheJRB

Established Member
This one tickled me especially: This item is just a regular torch with a sticky note under it that reads "Olympics London 2012" currently bidding with a single bid at £150k with and yes, I don't think I'm going mad, it says £100 delivery too. Fear not, there are 6 days and 20 hours remaining... :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.