• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading Guildford closed all day 14/9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Degraded signalling cable at Blackwater affecting a number of signals on both lines I believe. Overnight testing revealed the situation to be worse than anticipated.

Mile-long cable to be replaced is the latest I can see.

JN114

Established Member
As per bb21 - damaged multi-core signalling cable effectively rendering several signals and track circuits out of use. Current estimate for rectification is 0345 tomorrow (Thu 15th) morning.

Temporary Block Working now staffed up until 2200 between Wokingham and North Camp, GWR running an hourly Reading - Guildford service connecting with a Guildford - Gatwick service east of. Enforced change at Guildford not ideal but "protects" the Guildford - Gatwick service being tangled up with delays/complications in TBW.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I see hardly any fast services running between Guildford and Gatwick. The 08.18 ran but possibly nothing else. So there only one service an hour from Guildford to Redhill. Unless that changes later. Later trains still showing in the journey planner as running but the disruption notice says its for the remainder of the day. They are running buses between Guildford and Reading. I assume that is also one an hour but I don't know.

Intrestingly they have underground acceptance between Victoria and Paddington but not Waterloo and Paddington.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As per bb21 - damaged multi-core signalling cable effectively rendering several signals and track circuits out of use. Current estimate for rectification is 0345 tomorrow (Thu 15th) morning.

Temporary Block Working now staffed up until 2200 between Wokingham and North Camp, GWR running an hourly Reading - Guildford service connecting with a Guildford - Gatwick service east of. Enforced change at Guildford not ideal but "protects" the Guildford - Gatwick service being tangled up with delays/complications in TBW.
Given no Guildford to Gatwick services seemed to be running earlier, bar the 08.18, that's a great improvement. As at least passengers no longer have to change at Redhill. Not sure how well timed the Redhill stopper connection is with Southern trains heading south.

According to National Rail Enquiries App live departure board for Guildford the 15.10 has departed on time but has no report for stations before that.

I doubt it departed over 2 hours early. Is this error likely to be as a result of the signalling issues? The 13.10 and 14.10 are cancelled at the moment.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Eventually found the journey check page on Great Western Railways Web Site. It's very well hidden. Even search for trains between two stations for journey updates don't link to to it. Nor does the warning message at the top of the screen.

Anyway it has the following:

Following a fault with the signalling system between Reading and Guildford all lines will be reopened shortly.

https://www.journeycheck.com/greatwesternrailway/

Also under customer advice it says Transport for London are accepting passengers via any reasonable route. Under further information it says any reasonable route between Paddington and Victoira.

Hopefully someone will update national rail enquires in due course as that still says buses until end of service.

15.10 has now been cancelled. Wonder what the first train to Gatwick will be or will they simply only run stopping services. Great Western Railway don't make that point clear. Perhaps they don't know what they can do later. How many trains would have been east of Guildford when the line had to close?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How many trains would have been east of Guildford when the line had to close?

Only those that overnight in the area presumably. Is it two stable at Redhill overnight, I don't think there are any kept anywhere else such as at Guildford?

greaterwest

Established Member
Two trains East of Guildford, both stored at Redhill LHS (2O54 and 2O55 last two trains from Reading)
Only those that overnight in the area presumably. Is it two stable at Redhill overnight, I don't think there are any kept anywhere else such as at Guildford?

I don't think they store anything at Guildford (nothing usually terminates or starts near there except the Shalford stoppers for which the unit originates at Reading)

Last edited:

louis97

Established Member
Looks like it formed off 2O31, just not reported en route for whatever reason.

Also looks like 1V39 returned as 2O32, and did not run to Reading.

166207 and 166215 east of Guildford by the look of it.

Both 2O31 and 2V55 were cancelled, both those report were done by the signaller, perhaps to clear an overdue report and clear them off the TRUST line up.

Deepgreen

Established Member
The 0819 Betchworth to Redhill (ex-Reading) was cancelled this morning, but RTT had it as activated with no cancellation update, and the station screen at Betchworth has not worked (again!!) for the last few weeks, so no information was available other than the help point. Despite my having reported this screen about fifty times in the last four years, it continues to fail very frequently. Today was the first time I have been able to get the help point to work, too.

Is there any prospect of additional units getting through to the Redhill end of the route to provide a full Gatwick/Redhill to Guildford service before tomorrow?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Both 2O31 and 2V55 were cancelled, both those report were done by the signaller, perhaps to clear an overdue report and clear them off the TRUST line up.

Manual infills were always a bit dodgy. :lol:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Does Reading-Guildford have 3rd rail throughout? if it does I would have thought that it would be a SWT's route and not a GWR route

DerekC

Established Member
Does Reading-Guildford have 3rd rail throughout? if it does I would have thought that it would be a SWT's route and not a GWR route

No third rail between Wokingham and Ash (Wokingham Junction to Aldershot South Junction). It's always been a bit of an anomaly. I guess SWT doesn't have a suitably placed diesel depot.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
No third rail between Wokingham and Ash (Wokingham Junction to Aldershot South Junction). It's always been a bit of an anomaly. I guess SWT doesn't have a suitably placed diesel depot.

It also doesn't have the stock to operate it or the requirement to provide the service under its franchise terms. It has been a GWR/WR and SR shared service for many decades. The fifties and sixties saw a mixture of WR and SR steam traction on the route.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Have you really missed all the previous discussions about electrifying the route, usually under the broad heading of the 'North Downs line'?

It has been fairly regularly explained that the Wokingham to Ash section is not electrified, as well as the Shalford Junction to Reigate section.

Veteran Member
It also doesn't have the stock to operate it or the requirement to provide the service under its franchise terms. It has been a GWR/WR and SR shared service for many decades. The fifties and sixties saw a mixture of WR and SR steam traction on the route.

Very limited use of GW steam (2 turns a day to cover the Birkenhead through train IIRC) - but effectively a WR service from the introduction of Reading-based DMUs around 1980 to replace the Tadpoles.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It seems the 22.18 is the first train to Gatwick Airport from Guildford since 08.18 this morning, unless anyone knows of any others than ran. All other trains were terminating at Redhill, not that Great Western Railway were promoting that minor point as far as I could tell.

I imagine the last gap of such a length or longer on a week day was on Christmas or Boxing day, unless there were any other long signalling issues people are aware of.

According to National Rail Enquiries App online departure board, there was an 18.54 departure to Redhill and then nothing towards Redhill until 22.18. All the Gatwick Airport services, usually running at 10 minutes past the hour, being cancelled.

Did they run buses instead or were passengers advised to take other routes? Any reason why they couldn't run the faster services during that time?

Towards Reading there was a 19.26 and the next one was a 21.16. No more are running to Reading, although oddly the 23.18 is showing as running to Redhill but no further. Odd given that for most of the day, that section of line hasn't been served by Great Western Railway services. I don't know if it will actually run.

Last edited:

Sprinter153

Did they run buses instead or were passengers advised to take other routes? Any reason why they couldn't run the faster services during that time?

There was an SWT station supervisor looking like he was going to cry with a massive pile of taxi dockets.

There was a limitation in terms of a lack of units and also the crew resources for the GLD-RDH section consisted of whatever Redhill conductors were available (there are two late turns, it's a tiny depot) and a couple of Link 1 Redhill Southern drivers that sign the route and traction.

infobleep

Veteran Member
There was an SWT station supervisor looking like he was going to cry with a massive pile of taxi dockets.

There was a limitation in terms of a lack of units and also the crew resources for the GLD-RDH section consisted of whatever Redhill conductors were available (there are two late turns, it's a tiny depot) and a couple of Link 1 Redhill Southern drivers that sign the route and traction.
Could they not taxi or even passenger replacement bus in drivers and or guards to Guildford; Redhill or Gatwick, who otherwise be working the full route, especially as so many other trains were cancelled?

As a lay person I can only assume not or they would have done just that.

I assume Great Western Railway will be the ones having to fund all the taxis and not South West Trains.

Are there electronic forms for the taxis requests or is it still done the old fashioned paper way?

If the problem had occurred between Guildford and Gatwick, could Great Western Railway have sourced buses just as easily? Part of me thinks yes because the distance between Guildford and Gatwick wouldn't be that much different to that of Reading. The only issue is location of buses to area requiring them.

I wonder what people at the unstaffed stations did this evening. I once pressed the help point at Chilworth. Experience wasn't great.

greaterwest

Established Member
Could they not taxi or even passenger replacement bus in drivers and or guards to Guildford; Redhill or Gatwick, who otherwise be working the full route, especially as so many other trains were cancelled?

As a lay person I can only assume not or they would have done just that.

I assume Great Western Railway will be the ones having to fund all the taxis and not South West Trains.

Are there electronic forms for the taxis requests or is it still done the old fashioned paper way?

If the problem had occurred between Guildford and Gatwick, could Great Western Railway have sourced buses just as easily? Part of me thinks yes because the distance between Guildford and Gatwick wouldn't be that much different to that of Reading. The only issue is location of buses to area requiring them.

I wonder what people at the unstaffed stations did this evening. I once pressed the help point at Chilworth. Experience wasn't great.

As no GWR (i.e. station with no service) station is staffed beyond 1300 along that line (and those are limited to Crowthorne and North Camp) I would have thought not a lot except for complain on Twitter and contact India via the help points!

Status
Not open for further replies.