• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading improvements milestones

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Established Member
That would require dual voltage stock (which would perhaps be available following Basingstoke-Soton AC conversion), and lengthen journey times by at least ~40 minutes. It'd be easier to shuttle passengers to Reading for connections to London (with most choosing Paddington, obviously). WoE services could do this already, which I've never seen, so I guess there's good (well, maybe not so good) reasons for this.

I suggested post Reading to Basingstoke electrification as I was thinking that there would be duel voltage stock by then (or very shortly after).

A increase in journey time of 40 minutes could be shaved down a bit by a running skip stop calling pattern, so possibly up to 30 minutes longer, which makes it not too bad compared with getting on a bus. Yes a lot of people would rather go into Paddington, but having to only make one change at Reading (rather than changing at Basingstoke as well) would be much more prefrable.

WoE services could do it, however I thought that the underpass east of Reading had been out of use. Even if it was able to be used I'd dread to think of how much disruption would be caused by more trains crossing the main lines at Reading (basicly the reason for the remodeling).

Also the class 158's and 159's are fairly heaverly used as it is without them having to do a whole load more work (as they'd have to run full length from Basingstoke) and only have fairly short runs between stations which would be a lot slower than an EMU doing the same trip. Given if there were engineering works there would likely be a lot more EMU's (as they wouldn't need to run at their full length as it was a weekend) that could be spared to run the service (even if not all the fleet that needed converting had been done so yet).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mr_moo

Bye bye link span.

I took these this morning. Pity I wasnt there last night to see the sparks!

Attachments

• DSCN8337.jpg
    DSCN8337.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN8336.jpg
    DSCN8336.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN8335.jpg
    DSCN8335.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN8334.jpg
    DSCN8334.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN8333.jpg
    DSCN8333.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN8332.jpg
    DSCN8332.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 93

JamesRowden

Established Member
I think that SWT running 1tph to Paddington during Engineering works (Saturday/Sunday) east of Basingstoke might not be a problem post Reading upgrade and Electric Spine. The three primary reasons for why it is impractical at the momment shoud no longer exist after the upgrade:

- Lack of electrification (presently does not apply to Salisbury services)

- Lack of through platform capacity at Reading (all westbound fast services using platform 7)

- Crossing paths to the west of Reading Station (viaduct west of Reading station will allow services to pass under intercity services, use a relief platform and join the mainline to the east of the station).

Another constraint to the service however should be congestion at Reading West with the:

Reading-Basingstoke
Crosscountry
Paddington-Plymouth/Penzance
Berks-Hants stopping/semi-fast
Electric Spine Freight (some going to London)

The SWT service may need to wait for a gap.

There will also be the issue of the limited top speed of SWT stock which may make it difficult to find a path to Paddington. With the currently planned Crossrail services there are duplicate paths available of the planned 2tph Paddington-Reading semi-fast services (5 intermediate stops) (15 minutes later) along the relief lines (I assume that it is for Freight services) but during such engineering work perhaps it be worth using one of these paths for a diverted SWT service and would save having to change at Reading.

Otherwise there would still be the option (as exists today) to change at Reading from a Crosscountry service to a Great Western service.

The Ham

Established Member
I think that SWT running 1tph to Paddington during Engineering works (Saturday/Sunday) east of Basingstoke might not be a problem post Reading upgrade and Electric Spine. The three primary reasons for why it is impractical at the momment shoud no longer exist after the upgrade:

- Lack of electrification (presently does not apply to Salisbury services)

- Lack of through platform capacity at Reading (all westbound fast services using platform 7)

- Crossing paths to the west of Reading Station (viaduct west of Reading station will allow services to pass under intercity services, use a relief platform and join the mainline to the east of the station).

Another constraint to the service however should be congestion at Reading West with the:

Reading-Basingstoke
Crosscountry
Paddington-Plymouth/Penzance
Berks-Hants stopping/semi-fast
Electric Spine Freight (some going to London)

The SWT service may need to wait for a gap.

There will also be the issue of the limited top speed of SWT stock which may make it difficult to find a path to Paddington. With the currently planned Crossrail services there are duplicate paths available of the planned 2tph Paddington-Reading semi-fast services (5 intermediate stops) (15 minutes later) along the relief lines (I assume that it is for Freight services) but during such engineering work perhaps it be worth using one of these paths for a diverted SWT service and would save having to change at Reading.

Otherwise there would still be the option (as exists today) to change at Reading from a Crosscountry service to a Great Western service.

I had been talking about the train running to Waterloo along the line from Reading (via Wokingham).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This diversion proposal is basically about the problems caused by a full line closure between Basingstoke and Woking - which for services to Southampton (and west thereof) they can already deal with by diverting via Havant and Guildford. So spending extra time going via Reading and Wokingham would possibly be no better for that subset of journeys. Slightly different for Winchester pax and those to/from the Salisbury route obviously.

But if the 7 day railway proposals for the mainline work out properly as described in the SWML route business plan, they intend that there will nearly always be at least a two track railway available between Basingstoke and Woking, so the above solution may never actually be needed in the medium term future, even if the works make it possible.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Am going up there tomorrow to see the steam specials so will take some more then if anything has changed.

Half the footbridge to the car park was lifted out by early last night. If they make progress as expected the remaining half should also be taken out over the weekend - but it would probably be done with platform 11 blocked. Maybe Sunday then?

mr_moo

Some more pics, this time from Friday afternoon.

Much as I would love to be there this weekend to see the bridge being lifted out, I work in Reading, so being in Reading Mon-Fri is enough! :)

If anyone has any pics of the bridge actually being lifted out, please post - I'd love to see them! I'll also try to get hold of some from anyone else at work and I'll post these up if I can get some.

Attachments

• DSCN8338.jpg
    DSCN8338.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN8340.jpg
    DSCN8340.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN8342.jpg
    DSCN8342.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN8345.jpg
    DSCN8345.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN8347.jpg
    DSCN8347.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 59

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If anyone has any pics of the bridge actually being lifted out, please post - I'd love to see them! I'll also try to get hold of some from anyone else at work and I'll post these up if I can get some.

No actual pics, but it all happened very quickly once the lift started.

On webcam 1 (tab 3) for Friday: http://www.lobstervision.tv/nrreading01#
1820 supported by crane but still in position - had been like that for some hours
1830 just lifted and moved left a few feet
1840 on ground alongside carpark

David Goddard

Established Member
These are excellent views! Wish I'd seen some of these before.
Attached is the view from P11 yesterday morning, with the Northern most section gone

Attachments

• IMG_9312.jpg
    IMG_9312.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 93

David Goddard

Established Member
No actual pics, but it all happened very quickly once the lift started.

On webcam 1 (tab 3) for Friday: http://www.lobstervision.tv/nrreading01#
1820 supported by crane but still in position - had been like that for some hours
1830 just lifted and moved left a few feet
1840 on ground alongside carpark

And the second section has now gone.
The first movement was at 20:00 and at 21:20 it was up in the air!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
And the second section has now gone.
The first movement was at 20:00 and at 21:20 it was up in the air!

Although I reckon it took a bit longer than that. There was some movement from about 1800 onwards - comparing the bridge with the background buildings shot by shot you can see it going up and down on a few occasions before the actual lift. I wonder if there was something they forgot to disconnect... :D

mr_moo

They have to ensure the bridge is correctly balanced so it doesn't tip up as it's lifted. Ths is why they lift, drop, lift, drop etc. They see how much it tips as its lifed and adjust the chains accordingly. It's quite hard to get the chains exactly right on first guess.

Back to work today: gone!

Attachments

• DSCN8442.jpg
    DSCN8442.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN8441.jpg
    DSCN8441.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN8440.jpg
    DSCN8440.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN8437.jpg
    DSCN8437.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 57

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They have to ensure the bridge is correctly balanced so it doesn't tip up as it's lifted. Ths is why they lift, drop, lift, drop etc. They see how much it tips as its lifed and adjust the chains accordingly. It's quite hard to get the chains exactly right on first guess...

Yes that makes sense. With four legs to the lifting rig it'll be even more time consuming I suppose.

Interesting pics as well thanks.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Yes that makes sense. With four legs to the lifting rig it'll be even more time consuming I suppose.

Interesting pics as well thanks.

Having watched the bridge go up in the 80s it's a shame the investment did not even last 30 years.
Many other busy stations on the network would die for such a substantial bridge with lifts, escalators, PIS etc.
Manchester Oxford Road for one.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think the alterations of the late 1980's were very good. I remember that the screens were originally placed so that it was impossible to see what they said whenever the sun was shining!

Sadly, as with many schemes of the time, it was largely a cosmetic exercise which did not allow for growth in either passenger numbers or train movements. In fairness the type of growth we have experienced was not foreseen at all in the 1980s - I hope that the current rebuilding and remodelling has been planned for growth and will therefore last for a lot longer!

swtandgw

I've just seen the latest Lobster Vision pictures, and there seems to be a lot of progress going on in the Reading area! Even the OHLE structures have started to appear on the platforms, as well as at the approaches.

Does anyone know what's going to happen over Easter, as regards to works?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Interesting that there's now a camera inside the depot too - wonder if it'll stay with FGW?

They've been available since about last June, you can back track using the calendar on the web cam page! You must have missed them when the links were first posted?

swtandgw

Just been to the station, and gosh hasn't a lot changed? I also saw the OHLE portal on the furthermost platforms (the ones towards the multi-storey car park).

Looks like Easter's going to be quite eventful for the GWML.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Mid-day and nothing posted on this unique event which started at midnight.
Things seem to be getting a bit awkward on the extra-critical stretch between Oxford and Banbury:

from NRE:
A broken down train is causing disruption at Heyford.
Because of this, trains between Banbury and Oxford may be delayed by up to 40 minutes. These delays will continue until further notice

Any first-hand reports?
And how is the "big slew" going?

wimbledonpete

I don't know about that but living in Raynes Park it's freaking me out a bit seeing FGW HSTs going past. I hope it doesn't overstimulate the passengers too much ending up at Waterloo...

Monty

Established Member
I don't know about that but living in Raynes Park it's freaking me out a bit seeing FGW HSTs going past. I hope it doesn't overstimulate the passengers too much ending up at Waterloo...

I do have to say it is odd seeing a HST being stabled at Clapham or pulling in or out of Waterloo. But it makes a nice change from the unending horde of EMUs and 158/9s. ;)

jimm

Established Member
Mid-day and nothing posted on this unique event which started at midnight.
Things seem to be getting a bit awkward on the extra-critical stretch between Oxford and Banbury:

Any first-hand reports?
And how is the "big slew" going?

Nothing unique about it - done before in December 2010, bar running direct up the SWML to Waterloo instead of half-way round Surrey. Services via Oxford all back running well when I passed through mid-afternoon.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Nothing unique about it - done before in December 2010, bar running direct up the SWML to Waterloo instead of half-way round Surrey. Services via Oxford all back running well when I passed through mid-afternoon.

I was meaning the work on the ground at Reading to get the new station up and running (and the length of the blockade).

furlong

Established Member
don't forget that once the north entrance is open, there will be fewer pedestrians using the subway, than during this temporary period of only a few weeks.

There will normally be no need for passengers to use the subway once the new transfer deck and both north and south entrances are open.

rdgsubwayd13032915723ec.jpg

Last edited:

jimm

Established Member
I was meaning the work on the ground at Reading to get the new station up and running (and the length of the blockade).

The December 2010-Jan 2011 blockade ran on Dec 27 (25th and 26 network closed anyway) to 30th and on Jan 1-2, so six days (plus two) in total without trains on the main line, whereas this year is five days March 29-April 1 and April 7.

There are pictures taken today at Reading station showing the new entrances and bridge and some demolition work here http://www.flickr.com/photos/52834510@N00/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.