• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading-London, the shortest route +3 mile rule and replacement buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
Note that my following opinion is not shared by other members. I believe that (in addition to the obvious routes into Paddington and Waterloo) your ticket is also valid into euston (via poplar junction, Mitre Bridge junction and Willesden).

What I don't think I can imply is any validity into Marylebone (which would then possibly have joint validity into Baker Street.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brucey

Note that my following opinion is not shared by other members. I believe that (in addition to the obvious routes into Paddington and Waterloo) your ticket is also valid into euston (via poplar junction, Mitre Bridge junction and Willesden).

What I don't think I can imply is any validity into Marylebone (which would then possibly have joint validity into Baker Street.

The Routeing Guide gives no valid route into Euston on a Reading-London ticket. I also do not believe a route into Euston would be within 3 miles of the route into Paddington.

34D

Established Member
The Routeing Guide gives no valid route into Euston on a Reading-London ticket. I also do not believe a route into Euston would be within 3 miles of the route into Paddington.

It is in fact within 3 miles.

OwlMan

Established Member
It is in fact within 3 miles.
But not by scheduled services. Although you claim this route is valid you have not yet shown an itinerary from Ealing Broadway to Euston that is within 3 miles of Ealing Broadway - Paddington please post one in this thread and then I will accept your route.

34D

Established Member
But not by scheduled services. Although you claim this route is valid you have not yet shown an itinerary from Ealing Broadway to Euston that is within 3 miles of Ealing Broadway - Paddington please post one in this thread and then I will accept your route.

To do this we need to assume the tuesday morning bus from ealing broadway to wandsworth road is a train.

FGW reading-ealing broadway. XC replacement bus ealing broadway-willesden west london junction. Virgin trains willesden west london junction-Euston.

OwlMan

Established Member
To do this we need to assume the tuesday morning bus from ealing broadway to wandsworth road is a train.

FGW reading-ealing broadway. XC replacement bus ealing broadway-willesden west london junction. Virgin trains willesden west london junction-Euston.
Neither your bus or Virgin Trains stop at West London Junction so how can that be a valid route?. You would have to go to Shepherds Bush on the RR Bus and then change to get to Willesden Junction and then change again.

Paddington - Ealing Broadway - 5 miles 51 chains

Euston - Willesdon Junction 5 miles 36 chains
Willesden Junction - Shepherds Bush 2 miles 2 chains
Shepherds Bush - Ealing Broadway 4 miles 53 chains
Total 12 miles 11 chains

Peter

34D

Established Member
Neither your bus or Virgin Trains stop at West London Junction so how can that be a valid route?

Please quote me an official source which advises that a train needs to stop at the point one route intersects with another.

OwlMan

Established Member
Please quote me an official source which advises that a train needs to stop at the point one route intersects with another.

But if a train does not stop where the routes intersect how can use use that route as there are no trains that you can use.
The route that you would travel in this instance will take you on from West London Junction to Shepherds Bush and then back to Willesden Junction. It is the distance that you travel that counts not the theoretical shortest route.

Also in NRCoC it staes

13. The route you are entitled to take
(a) You may travel between the stations shown on the ticket you hold in:
(i) a train on which you are able to make your entire journey without
changing trains;
(ii) trains which take the shortest route which can be used by scheduled
passenger services;
or
(iii) trains which take the routes shown in the National Routeing Guide.

34D

Established Member
I cannot prove you wrong. And vce versa. Agree that it is a grey area?

455driver

Veteran Member
I cannot prove you wrong. And vce versa. Agree that it is a grey area?

Nothing grey at all, Owlman has posted info from the NRCoC backing his point up that it is not a valid route so where is yours?

Oh wait a minute you never do back any of your ideas up do you, the OP has asked for clarification of validity and all you ever do is muddy the waters with absolutely no corroborating facts!

Come on we are waiting for you to pull out some info backing your (ill thought out) idea up, over to you!

34D

Established Member
Nothing grey at all, Owlman has posted info from the NRCoC backing his point up that it is not a valid route so where is yours?

Oh wait a minute you never do back any of your ideas up do you, the OP has asked for clarification of validity and all you ever do is muddy the waters with absolutely no corroborating facts!

Come on we are waiting for you to pull out some info backing your (ill thought out) idea up, over to you!

Eh? Have you been drinking?

Owlman has said about the shortest route (or within 3 miles of) used by scheduled services - I say that the bus is a scheduled service that goes from Ealing Broadway to Willesden W Lon Jun (then onto Kensington Olympia and Wandsworth Road).

Evidence? The bus runs. In lieu and on behalf of a train.

sonic2009

Established Member
But i wouldn't call the bus a scheduled service, it doesn't show up anywhere online, not even in a timetable or on Trust.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

34D

Established Member
But i wouldn't call the bus a scheduled service, it doesn't show up anywhere online, not even in a timetable or on Trust.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Well its here http://www.1s76.com/1S76%202009.htm

Legally there has to be a 'service' between Acton Town and Shepherds Bush and this is it.

455driver

Veteran Member
Eh? Have you been drinking?
Yes actually now on my 5th pint and they are going down rather well thanks, I must be thirsty after sitting behind 50017 for 4 hours today! ;)

Owlman has said about the shortest route (or within 3 miles of) used by scheduled services - I say that the bus is a scheduled service that goes from Ealing Broadway to Willesden W Lon Jun (then onto Kensington Olympia and Wandsworth Road).

Evidence? The bus runs. In lieu and on behalf of a train.

The bus runs once a week so your (rather funny) route is valid once a week, how do you manage to catch the train at that junction again?

Oh just cracked my 6th can!
A scheduled service runs from 1 station to another, that is the meaning of interchange, not oh if I go this way at this junction its less than 3 miles extra!
It is not a practical or possible route so it does not count.

Got any evidence to back up your assumptions,?
You simply making another statement is not evidence.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well its here http://www.1s76.com/1S76 2009.htm

Legally there has to be a 'service' between Acton Town and Shepherds Bush and this is it.

If the bus runs between these 2 stations (which it does) how do you get off it at that junction? :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well its here http://www.1s76.com/1S76 2009.htm

Nope, legally there has to be a service around some curve, the stations the service calls at are whichever ones the TOC decides to serve, it is a replacement for the Cross Country service which ran over the curve but did NOT serve Acton Town or Shepherds Bush.

the reason the replacement bus service calls at Acton Town and Shepherds Bush is because these are the nearest stations to the ends of the curve.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Previous discussions reached the same point that the validity pinned on whether distances between junctions rather than stations can be used to form a route, and this is exactly where we have reached in this one. Unfortunately there is no explicit hard evidence in the manner required by the OP to suggest either way.

My opinion on this has not changed. If a journey cannot be made then it cannot possibly form a route. (Note that it applies to journeys that cannot be made at any time, not those that are restricted to run on selected days only.)

The Routeing Guide specifically refers to the National Rail Timetable for the definitive list of mileages. It is quite clear that it is not intended for distances between junctions to be used in the calculation of the distance covered by a route, otherwise it would be impossible to calculate the shortest routes.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

Precisely which services do you propose make this a valid route? please use an itinerary to help explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.