• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading on the tube map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ijmad

Established Member
A single revision after their introduction, the dotted walk lines are already inconsistent.

They don't appear in Zone 1 for walkable tube interchanges but are used to show walkable river pier links. Outside of Zone 1 they're used to show both walkable interchanges and the piers, except for Putney Pier and Canary Wharf pier, which are just less than 10 minutes from their nearest stations (Putney Bridge and West India Quays) according to both TfL's journey planner and Google Maps.

Also, why is Heathrow T2&3 shown as an interchange blob rather than a separate tube station and rail station (correctly named Heathrow Central) with dotted interchange?

Mikey C

Established Member
A single revision after their introduction, the dotted walk lines are already inconsistent.

They don't appear in Zone 1 for walkable tube interchanges but are used to show walkable river pier links. Outside of Zone 1 they're used to show both walkable interchanges and the piers, except for Putney Pier and Canary Wharf pier, which are just less than 10 minutes from their nearest stations (Putney Bridge and West India Quays) according to both TfL's journey planner and Google Maps.

Also, why is Heathrow T2&3 shown as an interchange blob rather than a separate tube station and rail station (correctly named Heathrow Central) with dotted interchange?

Just on Heathrow, it's ridiculous to not include the National Rail T5 station. While TfL rail services aren't serving it yet, anyone can change at Heathrow 2/3 and take the Express train there for free.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No on-map explanation of the difference between "Outside fare zones" (Watford J and Shenfield), and "Outside fare zones but on a blue background" (Reading). :(
There is a key in bottom left that shows blue means “Oyster not valid.” Isn’t particularly clear however from map.

Not particularly clear however. It’s a shame at least some of the stations closer to London couldn’t have become parts of Zones 7-8-9 or even taken the fares of places like Watford Jct/Grays/Gatwick Apt.

rebmcr

Established Member
There is a key in bottom left that shows blue means “Oyster not valid.”

Not particularly clear however. It’s a shame at least some of the stations closer to London couldn’t have become parts of Zones 7-8-9 or even taken the fares of places like Watford Jct/Grays/Gatwick Apt.

Indeed, but no key for the grey-background areas.

ijmad

Established Member
Just on Heathrow, it's ridiculous to not include the National Rail T5 station. While TfL rail services aren't serving it yet, anyone can change at Heathrow 2/3 and take the Express train there for free.

Heathrow T5 will be served by the Elizabeth Line, so that branch will go on eventually. Only 2tph though. I hope Elizabeth Line staff will be trained to tell passengers to take the first train to Heathrow Central and change there for a train to your terminal, could save 25 minutes in some cases.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Indeed, but no key for the grey-background areas.
There doesn’t need to be one, because it follows the colour scheme of the main map in being white-grey-white; the description describes what it is.

Mikey C

Established Member
Heathrow T5 will be served by the Elizabeth Line, so that branch will go on eventually. Only 2tph though. I hope Elizabeth Line staff will be trained to tell passengers to take the first train to Heathrow Central and change there for a train to your terminal, could save 25 minutes in some cases.

The T5 National Rail station should be on the map now instead of a tiny footnote! But then TfL are only interested in showing their empire rather than creating something useful...

frediculous

The Tube & Rail map also no longer has the Greenford branch being a separate branch terminating at West Ealing. Instead, there's a tick on the curve that's very difficult to see.

thejuggler

They don't appear in Zone 1 for walkable tube interchanges

I think that's the point - aren't they there to show how you can make trips which avoid zone 1 by walking between stations to change lines?

Bill EWS

Had my first trip, albeit quite short, between Twyford and Reading this past Wednesday where I had to change for my through train. They really are very sparse inside,
a sort of mix between an underground train and a multiple unit. But were quite nippy and not a bad looking unit. I only caught it as the GWR train I went for was quite
late. I wouldn't normally have a need to use them as we have two 'stoppers' and hour as it is and not keen to travel all the way to London on them.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I think that's the point - aren't they there to show how you can make trips which avoid zone 1 by walking between stations to change lines?

And also because there are so many sub-10-minute inter-station links in central London that the map would be covered with them... though maybe that's too logical a basis for decision-making that it could be TfL's reason. But still - a few Zone 1 links that are really close would be sensible to add, where it aids switching between lines - maybe of the Bayswater-Queensway sort. (Though it needs an out-of-station interchange to be recognised for ticketing.)

ess

Had my first trip, albeit quite short, between Twyford and Reading this past Wednesday where I had to change for my through train. They really are very sparse inside,
a sort of mix between an underground train and a multiple unit. But were quite nippy and not a bad looking unit. I only caught it as the GWR train I went for was quite
late. I wouldn't normally have a need to use them as we have two 'stoppers' and hour as it is and not keen to travel all the way to London on them.

These new trains have effectively cut the service from 4tph to 2tph because they're slow and uncomfortable

packermac

These new trains have effectively cut the service from 4tph to 2tph because they're slow and uncomfortable
How does that work then because looking at RTT I see XR at 33 and 03 and GW services around 07 and 37 Westbound and XR 28 and 58 and GW 15 and 45 Eastbound (although some hours varies by a few mins)

Belperpete

Established Member
How does that work then because looking at RTT I see XR at 33 and 03 and GW services around 07 and 37 Westbound and XR 28 and 58 and GW 15 and 45 Eastbound (although some hours varies by a few mins)
I think he means that for people who won't catch the XR services because they are slow and uncomfortable, that only leaves them the 2 tph GW services. I have some sympathy. Waiting at Slough last Sunday, I decided to give the XR stopping train with its overground-style seating a miss, in favour of the later GW semi-stopping service timed to arrive in Paddington just two minutes later.

But this thread is supposed to be about the tube map. I think there is a separate thread for discussing rolling stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.