• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading/Theale Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

purp

Bit of a random question; I'm hoping to find out (from other commuters?) what the typical delays (if any) are like on the route between Reading and Theale at peak times. I'm about to start commuting that way and on the few test runs I've completed the trains have always been delayed.... creating havoc on my connections at Reading.

What could be, at normal times, a 35 minute journey turns into something more like an hour due to missed connections.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaggy

I commute from Newbury to Henley-On-Thames each day and by and large it is absolutely fine.

I have an 8 minute connection at Reading for the onward direct service to Henley and I'm yet to miss it.

The only issue is getting through the bottleneck into Reading station. Even then, a few minutes maximum.

TEW

Established Member
Approaching Reading from the Theale direction there could well be delays, services are often held outside Reading waiting to cross the junction and enter a platform, usually it will only be a couple of minutes though. If the train is already running late it is even more likely it will have to wait outside Reading though, and that can turn a delay of a couple of minutes in to a 10 minute one. That mainly effects train heading through to London, ones terminating at Reading are less likely to be delayed. Coming the other way trains from London heading through to Theale in the evening peak could well be a couple of minutes late from Reading, again due to congestion.

purp

Sorry for delayed response.

Turns out that my worries became realty. The 1713 from NBY is always late at THE (1733}. I can't figure out why.... 3 weeks and only been on time once. Often an excuse is given but I've only caught my connection 4 times (leaves at 53, 8 minute connection time).

This adds a nice whack onto my commute. :(

TEW

Established Member
Late today because the train in front, the 1523 Taunton to London Paddington was running 20 minutes late due to signalling problems near Hungerford. The 1713 Newbury to Reading couldn't leave until that train had left Newbury. It seems like it may have been held at Newbury for a couple of minutes to connect with the 1644 Bedwyn to Newbury, which is due to arrive at 1703, but only arrived at 1714. The 1713 to Reading then left at 1716. I can't see any reason why the 1713 from Newbury should be paticuarly susceptible to delays though, unless it is regularly being held at Newbury because of the two trains mentioned above.

purp

It has been late on pretty much every occasion, even the 1006 to Paddington was delayed this morning at Theale. I guess delaying the smaller, slower trains by 2-10 minutes is better for their KPI than the alternative. Something I'll have to get used to.

Shaggy

Apart from a body on the line at Thatcham a month or so ago, I still have no issues with this line which I commute on daily.

I am on either the 07:24 or 07:49, both of which are pretty always bang on time (the 07:49 has to wait in Newbury for 6/7 mins then has to either stop or run slow to Reading so as not to arrive early).

I then get the 17:28 from Twyford back to Newbury and I think once it was more than 5 minutes late.

Not sure why you are getting such a rough deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.