• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading to Paddington record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I think it was when my brother, Michael, and I were waiting for the 13:42 from Reading back to Didcot Parkway on July 5th last year that I'm sure I saw it come into Platform 9B at 13:34. In which case it would have done the journey from Paddington in 19-20 minutes.

In August 2015 I was going to and from Didcot Parkway and London Paddington. From Reading to Paddington, I'm quite positive the HST made it in 23 minutes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
Are we talking passenger safety here, or the thread re 'exhilarating station approach', or something more akin to Le Mans 1955 or racing into Crewe in 1937 ...
Sorry to pour on cold water- it's just sounding a bit gung-ho to me.

I rather like this thread and understanding how far modern stock can be pushed to all while staying within safety thresholds. And IETs on the juice do seem to have a very decent rate of acceleration!

It's also fascinating to see how far into London it's possible to get before the speed limits kick in. You're right that it does feel a bit like the 'exhilarating station approach' thread.. speed through built-up areas definitely contributes to it :)

ABB125

Established Member
In early August last year, I was on an IET (can't remember exactly whether it was an 800 or 802; it was likely to have been 802015) from Reading to Paddington. I remember thinking we were really hammering along, right up to the approach to Paddington. Definitely the fastest run into Paddington I've ever been on! I don't know what the time was unfortunately, but the correct adjective is "stonking".

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well seeing as the driver of the record IET run was slower than me I'll give my thoughts. Mainly due to ATP warbling at me if I brake too late , I am forced to brake earlier than I could do if driving further west on none ATP lines. Another adverse factor i forgot to mention, I came into platform 3 at paddington which is now 30mph compared to 5 to 9 which are still 40mph. So that's a couple more seconds which could have been saved given the right platform allocation. I adopted a degree of defensive driving throughout (as all drivers will do nowadays) , but i did push it to a point that i knew still to be safe but perhaps a little more adventurous than usual!
Also at no point did I use full service brake or even more than about 50 percent brake. So for sure there is definitely more seconds that could be shaved off.

I'm not criticising drivers for driving defensively, safety must always be the first priority but back when the braking instructions stated "...even using Full Service if confidence will allow" I would imagine with a high enough approach speed it would save precious seconds on a record run in particular.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I've always found Reading a fascinating destination - for some reason most of my work courses end up taking place in or around there! (although I work in IT and since Microsoft have a HQ there it makes sense!)

20-25 minutes out of a central London station and you're whisked away back to the £40 Travelodge rooms and beer costing around what it would here in the North :D

More Northern prices than Central London for sure, but that low?! I do like Reading as well though and I'm sure I've made it into London in 22-23 minutes before. The Thames Valley Ranger is excellent for zipping up and down all day!

irish_rail

Established Member
I'm not criticising drivers for driving defensively, safety must always be the first priority but back when the braking instructions stated "...even using Full Service if confidence will allow" I would imagine with a high enough approach speed it would save precious seconds on a record run in particular.
Absolutely and if there had been a recorder on board I'd probably have pushed it harder, but ATP really does affect the braking rate as if it thinks you are not braking early or hard enough it just brakes for you! With ATP isolated (would never happen now) theoretically you could save quite a bit of time by braking last minute for PSRs.

MotCO

Established Member
If I recall, there is at least one train a day which does not call at Reading. Presuably the fastest Paddington to Reading time would be where the train does not have to stop at Reading; does this count?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I rather like this thread and understanding how far modern stock can be pushed to all while staying within safety thresholds. And IETs on the juice do seem to have a very decent rate of acceleration!

It's also fascinating to see how far into London it's possible to get before the speed limits kick in. You're right that it does feel a bit like the 'exhilarating station approach' thread.. speed through built-up areas definitely contributes to it :)

Both the 100 and 125 limits leaving Paddington used to commence sooner.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Absolutely and if there had been a recorder on board I'd probably have pushed it harder, but ATP really does affect the braking rate as if it thinks you are not braking early or hard enough it just brakes for you! With ATP isolated (would never happen now) theoretically you could save quite a bit of time by braking last minute for PSRs.

I remember watching a BR training video on ATP and from what I recall it based braking on using full service applications so presumably it's been altered to a more conservative braking rate then if it intervenes in a more cautious manner now

Taunton

Established Member
Notable that with a King, if stopping at Reading (not all did), 40 minutes was a typical time Reading to Paddington. With diesels in the 1970s it was 30 minutes. Now it seems to be pushing 20 minutes.

quantinghome

Established Member
Bearing in mind the previous record (1988) was pretty much scrupulously observing the limits and that in pre-limiter days HSTs exceeded 130mph (possibly even 135mph) I wonder if there's an "unofficial" faster record?

I've seen a few references to a '140 club' but how much that is simply inflated tales of yore is not easy to say.
When I worked in Reading in a rail office in the late 90s a colleague claimed Paddington - Reading had been done in 17 minutes pre-ATP. Take this with a dollop of salt, of course.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If I recall, there is at least one train a day which does not call at Reading. Presuably the fastest Paddington to Reading time would be where the train does not have to stop at Reading; does this count?
It’s now more like 50 a day (both ways) in the current normal timetable, I don’t think they’ve all run yet, because gradually ramping up to the full IET patterns was still in progress before the recent COVID cut backs. But you can see the intentions on RTT if you select dates in the medium term future...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
any fule kno records are made on the LNE.

I don't really keep records as i haven't got the patience/discipline but when my gf and I traveled down to Plymouth earlier in the year we did Paddington > Reading in about 23 minutes. She remarked how quick it seemed and I agreed.

nlogax

Established Member
It’s now more like 50 a day (both ways) in the current normal timetable, I don’t think they’ve all run yet, because gradually ramping up to the full IET patterns was still in progress before the recent COVID cut backs. But you can see the intentions on RTT if you select dates in the medium term future...

Good example here I think.. September midweek service to Bristol TM. Even with a minute added in for a projected speed restriction at Twyford a non-stopper is 22 and a half minutes.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L81838/2020-09-30/detailed

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 11.07.55.png

jumble

Bearing in mind the previous record (1988) was pretty much scrupulously observing the limits and that in pre-limiter days HSTs exceeded 130mph (possibly even 135mph) I wonder if there's an "unofficial" faster record?

I've seen a few references to a '140 club' but how much that is simply inflated tales of yore is not easy to say.
Being old enough to have been around when this was alleged it was widely believed it existed until it was wondered by the powers that be why so many 125s were held for long times on reds outside Padd
I would be pretty sure this is true
OT but with first hand knowledge the MET A stocks in their final years were limited to 50 MPH because of bogie cracking
Many times my GPS registered 65 on it on peak fasts northbound !

EveningStar

When I worked in Reading in a rail office in the late 90s a colleague claimed Paddington - Reading had been done in 17 minutes pre-ATP. Take this with a dollop of salt, of course.

Early days of HST's, and as drivers got used to braking performance, remember the Modern Railways, in describing retrofit speed limiters set to 128, reported rumours concerning the '140 club'. Imagine there were some interesting start to stop times while the fun lasted.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Early days of HST's, and as drivers got used to braking performance, remember the Modern Railways, in describing retrofit speed limiters set to 128, reported rumours concerning the '140 club'. Imagine there were some interesting start to stop times while the fun lasted.

I've often seen 128 quoted but that's not the correct figure. The limiters were set for a nominal 132 mph (6mph overspeed) but the original system didn't compensate for tyre wear and so on fully worn tyres the limiter would cut in at ~123mph.

The modern systems compensate for tyre wear but I've no details as to what they are set to.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Being old enough to have been around when this was alleged it was widely believed it existed until it was wondered by the powers that be why so many 125s were held for long times on reds outside Padd
I would be pretty sure this is true
OT but with first hand knowledge the MET A stocks in their final years were limited to 50 MPH because of bogie cracking
Many times my GPS registered 65 on it on peak fasts northbound !

Having done a bit of Googling it seems 130 was normal, 135 not uncommon and there were indeed drivers who were reputed to have touched 140 but I've yet to come across any logs with significant overspeeds in them. Perhaps for good reason

davetheguard

Established Member
I've always found Reading a fascinating destination - for some reason most of my work courses end up taking place in or around there! (although I work in IT and since Microsoft have a HQ there it makes sense!)

20-25 minutes out of a central London station and you're whisked away back to the £40 Travelodge rooms and beer costing around what it would here in the North :D

First time I've heard Reading described as fascinating! You can still pay some pretty London-like prices in the (rather good) Fuller's pub on Reading station.

I'm sure I remember down HST's being timed in the public timetable for 22 minutes from Paddington to Reading in the 1980's, and only 11 minutes from Reading to Didcot; not sure if they often made in practice though!?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'm sure I remember down HST's being timed in the public timetable for 22 minutes from Paddington to Reading in the 1980's, and only 11 minutes from Reading to Didcot; not sure if they often made in practice though!?

The 1977 timetable has the Bristols timed non-stop to Reading in 23 mins. The HST services which do call at both Reading and Didcot are timed 14 mins between the two. Though those are of course public timings.

irish_rail

Established Member
I'd say it would be quicker Paddington to Reading than Reading to Paddington due to the TPWS etc approaching the blocks at Paddington. Unfortunately as a Plymouth driver there is no point trying to break any record in the paddington to reading direction as we are timed to leave 2 minutes behind the Bristols and so any speedy running would always lead to catching the train up in front.

EveningStar

I've often seen 128 quoted but that's not the correct figure. The limiters were set for a nominal 132 mph (6mph overspeed) but the original system didn't compensate for tyre wear and so on fully worn tyres the limiter would cut in at ~123mph.

The modern systems compensate for tyre wear but I've no details as to what they are set to.

Stand corrected. Vague memory of the Modern Railway's article and my copies are in a store between house moves, so could not quickly check.

irish_rail

Established Member
Stand corrected. Vague memory of the Modern Railway's article and my copies are in a store between house moves, so could not quickly check.
The HSTs and IETs will warble at 128mph but unsure if they actually cut power or apply brake.

coppercapped

Established Member
The 1977 timetable has the Bristols timed non-stop to Reading in 23 mins. The HST services which do call at both Reading and Didcot are timed 14 mins between the two. Though those are of course public timings.
I would just add that in those days the HSTs were seven, not eight, coaches long. Their acceleration was noticeably more sprightly.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

I wasn't criticising anyone simply stating the fact, I've seen various sources state that the limiters are set at 128 but that's just not the case but that error (as with many) seems to have crept in and been perpetuated over the years

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The HSTs and IETs will warble at 128mph but unsure if they actually cut power or apply brake.

The ATP I believe warbles at 3mph overspeed with a full service brake intervention at 6mph overspeed.

The speed limiter which predates ATP would cut throttle to idle and power could not be regained except by shutting the power handle off and then re-opening it.

irish_rail

Established Member
The ATP I believe warbles at 3mph overspeed with a full service brake intervention at 6mph overspeed.

The speed limiter which predates ATP would cut throttle to idle and power could not be regained except by shutting the power handle off and then re-opening it.
That is still the case with HSTs now I think about it, once you get to 128 it shuts off the power and insists you go down to 124 before getting amps again. Often the 2 power cars seemed to disagree and plenty of sets would knock off power at 125mph due to small wheels on the rear car. Quite frustrating and a fairly common occurrence.

CW2

Established Member
The overall route capacity is pretty much on the limit - at least during "normal" times - so the chance of getting a clear run for a very fast run is quite low. There's always a HEX or some such giving you double yellows if you get too far ahead of your booked path. Then there's the OLE line voltage to consider. With fewer trains in section, the voltage may well be higher than its nominal supply amount. So now is the best chance you'll get to achieve a record run.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That is still the case with HSTs now I think about it, once you get to 128 it shuts off the power and insists you go down to 124 before getting amps again. Often the 2 power cars seemed to disagree and plenty of sets would knock off power at 125mph due to small wheels on the rear car. Quite frustrating and a fairly common occurrence.

I think that's down to still having the older WSP system, the power cars with newer systems take tyre wear into account

Status
Not open for further replies.