• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reading upgrade - Network Rail management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but the term "Reading" is far too common on this site to be able to search for!

Anyway, last time I was at Reading I noticed that at least some of the station signs had been replaced by new disigns that looked identical to those used at Network Rail stations. Is this merely in relation to the upgrade, or is there a possibility that Reading will go over to to Network Rail upon completion of the scheme? Of all the stations that are not managed by Network Rail, it is one of the most prominent...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
I think its just a case of Network Rail leading the massive redevelopment project and using its own suppliers rather than the tocs.

gswindale

Is this not simply a case of the station actually using signs as suggested in the "Improving Britain's Railways" report (or whatever it was called by Lord Adonis) a few years back that recommended that all station signs should be in dark blue with white lettering and if a TOC wanted specific branding it should be underneath the actual sign? This was part of a suggestion to reduce costs in the future when franchises change hands.
Most SWT signs are in this style now I believe.

fgwrich

Established Member
Is this not simply a case of the station actually using signs as suggested in the "Improving Britain's Railways" report (or whatever it was called by Lord Adonis) a few years back that recommended that all station signs should be in dark blue with white lettering and if a TOC wanted specific branding it should be underneath the actual sign? This was part of a suggestion to reduce costs in the future when franchises change hands.
Most SWT signs are in this style now I believe.

And South Eastern too, albiet theyve done theres slightly differently.

TEW

Established Member
They are definitely Network Rail signs, identical to the ones found and London termini. It makes more sense than installing FGW signs, it might not be FGW running the services by the end of the project.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It'll be a Network Rail-led project as the sheer scale of the track changes, new bridges etc takes it beyond the scope of something a TOC would do outside of a Chiltern-style "Evergreen" project.

Status
Not open for further replies.