• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Real Ales (including mass produced ones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanD

Established Member
I will have to see if I'm already following you then! I never used to check in duplicates but I did eventually. Currently sat at Shrub Hill with a different Belgian waiting for a potential red pen move.

I think the manager in my local Spoons who used to be proud of his real ales might have moved on. The staff turnover in there is significant! If he has moved on, he lasted a long time to be fair. At least my local Spoons is better than the one in Kidderminster...

Mine's IanDo, 2934 and 2527 respectively, lots of duplicates, funnily enough Doom bar is top of my dups with 13 o_O, followed by Directors and Hobgoblin with 11 each.

Top beer for me so far is Inveralmond Rascal London Porter which I had in the Pot Still in Glasgow about 2 years ago. I remember it well, I was on the train from MK at 0622, got to Glasgow Central at 1036, the Spoons by Queen Street was open but wasn't allowed to serve me without food until 11 and I was due out of Queen Street at about 1115 for a day of ticking off new track and having a few beers so I only had time for a quick half as the clock struck 11. Got back to Queen Street about 1930, found the Shilling Brewery Company which had no real ale but was an untappd verified venue and brewery tap so was worth a look. Had a half of their excellent Black Star Porter (even then it was silly money for pint!). Had a look on WhatPub, liked the sound of the Pot Still so headed there. Cracking boozer, cracking pint. I was supposed to be at Charing Cross Premier Inn for an earlyish night due to my early start but got chatting to the bar man, tried a few whiskies and stopped a bit longer. Thought I could make it to the hotel without a toilet break but had to stop at the State Bar where i got chatting to another barman from the Black Isle who pointed me in the direction of his home town brewery.

Must go back to Glasgow soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ted633

Of the 6 the OP mentioned, only one I will go for is Otter, mainly as I don't see it very often. Doom Bar would be a last resort if I'd already started on ales and everything else had gone off.
Butty Bach from the Wye Valley brewery will be one of my favourites, goes down very nicely. As for the Yorkshire brews, I would have to agree that Timothy Taylors is best, but I still very much enjoy a Black Sheep or a Theakstons best.
Best place for a Timothy Taylors that I've found is at the Falcon Inn in Arncliffe, served from the Jug!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ted633, I send a virtual high-five as I've had Butty Bach too many times to count! Loves it!

IanD, I searched IanDo on Untapped but there were a lot of results. If you feel like adding me on Untapped, feel free to search for 'Techniquest' and you should find me easily enough. As my tagline on my profile says, I'm Hereford's #1 pavement pounder :lol:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who looks for Verified Venues!

IanD

Established Member
Ted633, I send a virtual high-five as I've had Butty Bach too many times to count! Loves it!

IanD, I searched IanDo on Untapped but there were a lot of results. If you feel like adding me on Untapped, feel free to search for 'Techniquest' and you should find me easily enough. As my tagline on my profile says, I'm Hereford's #1 pavement pounder :lol:

Request sent.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Mine's IanDo, 2934 and 2527 respectively, lots of duplicates, funnily enough Doom bar is top of my dups with 13 o_O, followed by Directors and Hobgoblin with 11 each.

Top beer for me so far is Inveralmond Rascal London Porter which I had in the Pot Still in Glasgow about 2 years ago. I remember it well, I was on the train from MK at 0622, got to Glasgow Central at 1036, the Spoons by Queen Street was open but wasn't allowed to serve me without food until 11 and I was due out of Queen Street at about 1115 for a day of ticking off new track and having a few beers so I only had time for a quick half as the clock struck 11. Got back to Queen Street about 1930, found the Shilling Brewery Company which had no real ale but was an untappd verified venue and brewery tap so was worth a look. Had a half of their excellent Black Star Porter (even then it was silly money for pint!). Had a look on WhatPub, liked the sound of the Pot Still so headed there. Cracking boozer, cracking pint. I was supposed to be at Charing Cross Premier Inn for an earlyish night due to my early start but got chatting to the bar man, tried a few whiskies and stopped a bit longer. Thought I could make it to the hotel without a toilet break but had to stop at the State Bar where i got chatting to another barman from the Black Isle who pointed me in the direction of his home town brewery.

Must go back to Glasgow soon.
I forgot to mention the Black Isle offerings - I've tried a few, but I think their Yellowhammer is probably my favourite. My dad was delighted to find out that they do a gluten-free beer (Goldfinch). It's the only one he's able to buy locally, although I know some other breweries produce them.

wolfman

I was brought up on Wm Younger's No3 and Taylors Landlord. Throw in the occasional pints of Pedigree, Bass, Boddies and Tetley and I was very happy.

All that's reasonably left is Landlord and it's still my favourite Real Ale. My preference has shifted for lighter, hoppier beers and my first HopBack Summer Lightning was a revelation. I'll happily drink Dizzy Blonde and MPA (Manchester Pale Ale) when in the north. Titanic has some great beers and Plum Porter is fantastic. Conditioning has left me thinking that southern beer without a sparkler lacks a certain something.

Moving away from real ale, I'm a big fan of BrewDog and will always gravitate to Punk IPA in a 'spoons. Any other light, hoppy IPAs suite my palate - I can't be doing with chocolate marshmallow stout bollox though.

I tried some (mass market!) Lagunitas Daytime IPA (4%) and was blown away with the flavour.

Then again, I was drinking Stella in a crappy pub in North London a couple of days ago as there was no proper beer and the weather was roasting. Horses for courses!
Oh yes Youngers No3 was a cracking beer as was Boddintons.Like my Barnsley bitter and when i visit the outlaws enjoy Harveys Sussex ales.Got a liking for a French ale called Meteor.

headshot119

Established Member

I blame you for the fact I've just gone and got an account!

Personally I wouldn't really "go to" on any of the ones mentioned in the opening post, but I'll try anything at least once that I find on in a pub. Shipyard is my default in spoons if they've nothing else on.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The other night I tried a bottle of "The Cranborne Poacher" described as "a rich and fruity ruby ale", brewed by Badger Ales. It was delicious. It might be a bit full for some palates, but I can certainly recommend it.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I blame you for the fact I've just gone and got an account!

Personally I wouldn't really "go to" on any of the ones mentioned in the opening post, but I'll try anything at least once that I find on in a pub. Shipyard is my default in spoons if they've nothing else on.

I used to like Shipyard but the last time I had it I was not a fan. Been a while though so could be worth giving it another shot.

Feel free to add me on Untappd if you want :) Always interesting to see what other people have! As for being behind you signing up, well I don't know how to respond to that :lol:

The other night I tried a bottle of "The Cranborne Poacher" described as "a rich and fruity ruby ale", brewed by Badger Ales. It was delicious. It might be a bit full for some palates, but I can certainly recommend it.

That's a Badger brew? Interesting, can't say I noticed when I last saw it in my local Sainsbury's. Not tried it myself, yet, but it is certainly one that's been on my Untappd wishlist (somehow!) for a good long time, and with a positive review like that I may have to pop to Sainsbury's and get a bottle later...

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I miss working in Saltaire as the end of week treat was always a trip to Fanny's Ale House

You'll miss it more these days, with Ossett up at the tram shed too.

Moorhouse's used to do a special beer for them called, er, Fanny's Juice. Classy. Nice beer though.

The board, against the wishes of the chairman ( of the founding family who felt the brewery would always make money), decided to close the breweries ( Vaux and Wards)

...and the hotels business was a resounding success.

One in a long line of disgraceful business shaftings in the north east. Heineken now brew Newcastle Brown Ale in Holland, having moved it from Newcastle to Gateshead to Tadcaster. Holland!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Fortunately, Hemel has the excellent Monk's Inn with 10 real ales

I leave Hemel and all the good pubs arrive. Bloody typical!

That said, when I lived on Stationer's Place in Apsley I might as well have had my wage paid directly to the Paper Mill. Yes, a Fuller's pub but the beer was great in there, especially the ESB. And when I lived up Long Chaulden I paid all my money to the Fishery in Boxmoor instead. Still miss that pub.

UP13

Drinkable but too fruity for me. I've noticed a recent trend for fruity drinks both with beers and ciders (IMO cider is apple and apple only). I'm not a big fan of fruity flavours.

Also I'm not feeling the hate for Doom Bar on here - just had a holiday in Devon and it was a very pleasant drink. Not most exciting flavour wise but very good.

My usual go to drink is Old Crafty Hen but I imagine I'll get abuse for saying that...

High Dyke

Established Member
A 'Spoons' is a bit like marmite... We all know how they get their beer. Yes they support local brewers, but can also offer some bad experiences.

I'm spoilt for choice with three local brewers in my town. All offer a good variety of ales, but consumer taste can vary considerably. Personally I prefer a honey beer, but am equally at home with most types. Looking at the list the OP suggested there are a couple in there I would never drink; that is down to personal taste.

As for a regular purchaser of cask ales then yes much of it is overpriced. Fullers being one for example. Cwtch by Tiny Rebel is a decent red ale, but the price went though the roof once they won Champion beer. Likewise TT's Ram Tam - another decent pint, when the foam sticks to the inside of the glass all the way down it's a good sign. However cost price to purchase is rather high compared to comparative beers.

At home Wainwright is a popular choice for me, as is Bank's Bitter.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member

Was in Hereford last Thursday funnily enough

route101

Established Member
Of the 6 the OP mentioned, only one I will go for is Otter, mainly as I don't see it very often. Doom Bar would be a last resort if I'd already started on ales and everything else had gone off.
Butty Bach from the Wye Valley brewery will be one of my favourites, goes down very nicely. As for the Yorkshire brews, I would have to agree that Timothy Taylors is best, but I still very much enjoy a Black Sheep or a Theakstons best.
Best place for a Timothy Taylors that I've found is at the Falcon Inn in Arncliffe, served from the Jug!

Had Butty Bach last week in Birmingham , not ranged in Scottish supermarkets .

route101

Established Member
I trust you enjoyed your visit :)

I finally tried Badger's Cranborne Poacher yesterday, not bad to be fair. Probably the best brew I've had from Badger!

A few hours , passed a Wetherspoons en route from the station . Was doing a West Midlands ranger so cleared that line from Brum.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A few hours , passed a Wetherspoons en route from the station . Was doing a West Midlands ranger so cleared that line from Brum.

Ah fair game. Yeah you'd have easily found The Kings Fee then. Not as good as it used to be, but equally compared to some Spoons I've been to (Evesham and Kidderminster immediately spring to mind) it's far from the worst.

Quite, part of my plan for this evening involves potentially popping into Spoons to see what's on tap tonight. Should be at least one new one on following one running out on Friday evening. Was one I wanted too, but they had had 3 others on I needed so it wasn't too bad.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad you tried my recommendation! I must try and seek it out on draught.

Thanks for the tip! Aye it would be nice to try off a pump.

I'd perhaps also make a recommendation too. In my local Spoons earlier was Tring's Colley's Dog, a little malty and slight nut flavour, but was pretty decent and was worth £1.99 a pint.

Of course, one of my most all-time favourites is Wye Valley's Butty Bach. Way too many of them over the years! :lol: The Hopfather by the same brewery is also recommended.

I do like Wadsworth's 6X too, another favourite. Swordfish by the same brewery is definitely worth a go too.

I could go on about beers, but it's now 21:42 and 03:45 was a long time ago now!

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Ah fair game. Yeah you'd have easily found The Kings Fee then. Not as good as it used to be, but equally compared to some Spoons I've been to (Evesham and Kidderminster immediately spring to mind) it's far from the worst.

Quite, part of my plan for this evening involves potentially popping into Spoons to see what's on tap tonight. Should be at least one new one on following one running out on Friday evening. Was one I wanted too, but they had had 3 others on I needed so it wasn't too bad.

#Collectors at heart :lol: ;)

davetheguard

Established Member
Cowley, if I was living in a certain part of Devon, I would go for two very local beers in preference to the ones on your list: refreshing Avocet from Exeter Brewery (just round the corner from St. David's station), or the delicious Yellowhammer from Hanlon's Brewery in Half Moon Village on the main road from Exeter to Crediton.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cowley, if I was living in a certain part of Devon, I would go for two very local beers in preference to the ones on your list: refreshing Avocet from Exeter Brewery (just round the corner from St. David's station), or the delicious Yellowhammer from Hanlon's Brewery in Half Moon Village on the main road from Exeter to Crediton.
Dave - You’re right, and those are two pints that I regularly drink. The Avocet is (I believe) organic too and seems to leave you not feeling too bad the next day. The Exeter Brewery has a bar and an old platform right next to the railway and they do a pie and mash night on Thursdays, Hanlons is open on Fridays, but I’m ashamed to say I haven’t actually been there yet despite it being within walking distance. Perhaps I’ll go up there next Friday.
Another favourite beer is Rail Ale from the Beer Engine.

Since my starting this thread I think some people might have got the idea that I usually drink the ones that I listed in the OP, but I don’t unless there’s nothing else available.
They’re just some of the ones that you always seem to see on tap down here.
I’m not an expert though and I’ve learnt some useful stuff reading the replies, so thanks to everyone for contributing. It’s been really interesting.

headshot119

Established Member
Since my starting this thread I think some people might have got the idea that I usually drink the ones that I listed in the OP, but I don’t unless there’s nothing else available.

Forgive me for thinking so. :D

davetheguard

Established Member
Dave - You’re right, and those are two pints that I regularly drink. The Avocet is (I believe) organic too and seems to leave you not feeling too bad the next day. The Exeter Brewery has a bar and an old platform right next to the railway and they do a pie and mash night on Thursdays, Hanlons is open on Fridays, but I’m ashamed to say I haven’t actually been there yet despite it being within walking distance. Perhaps I’ll go up there next Friday.
Another favourite beer is Rail Ale from the Beer Engine.

I’m not an expert though and I’ve learnt some useful stuff reading the replies, so thanks to everyone for contributing. It’s been really interesting.

I think I'm right in saying that Hanlon's is now open from Monday to Saturday -not just Fridays- but I've been unable to find anything that gives their days or hours of opening on their website! I agree with you about the Rail Ale at the Beer Engine in Newton St. Cyres; a pub with a railway station attached!

davetheguard

Established Member
I forgot to mention the Black Isle offerings - I've tried a few, but I think their Yellowhammer is probably my favourite. My dad was delighted to find out that they do a gluten-free beer (Goldfinch). It's the only one he's able to buy locally, although I know some other breweries produce them.

I "discovered" the Black Isle Brewery on a recent holiday in Inverness. I stumbled by chance in to their excellent Black Isle Bar in the centre of town and was hooked. Their own cask & craft beer, & brilliant home made pizzas with the ingredients coming from their own local organic farm. Since returning home, I've had a couple of visits to their on-line shop; delivered the next day, for under a fiver!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Went to a lovely hotel wedding yesterday.

Have you any ales?
Yes : john smiths and theakston

Cream flow. Ffs. I drank becks or g&t all night

Cletus

Established Member
Been to Harrogate today. Only went to two pubs: the Tap at the station, and the Winter Gardens Wetherspoon, a lovely building, where the Leeds brewery Yorkshire Gold was the best pint.

Status
Not open for further replies.