• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Real Time Trains Eurostar Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clansman

Established Member
Just wanted to know if there was any way of differentiating between the e300 and e320 Eurostar trains? I need to make a last minute trip to Brussels in 2 weeks and am not the greatest of fans of the seats on the e300 (Class 373) so if there was any way of knowing which service is diagrammed for the newer trains that would be great. I've already looked but I can't tell the difference between the trains at all.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CalaisFret

Both e300 and e320 have the same (new style) seating. The e300 is a refurbished TMST whilst the e320 is a new unit. Whilst e320s don't currently run to Brussels, the e300 does so beware!

The eurostar call centre may be able to tell you whether the train you intend to take is an old style seating (TMST) or whether it is a new style seating (e300.)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just wanted to know if there was any way of differentiating between the e300 and e320 Eurostar trains? I need to make a last minute trip to Brussels in 2 weeks and am not the greatest of fans of the seats on the e300 (Class 373) so if there was any way of knowing which service is diagrammed for the newer trains that would be great. I've already looked but I can't tell the difference between the trains at all.
The open data does not (yet?) show what type of train is diagrammed to work a service. It does show a timing load, but only one timing load is shown for all Eurostar services.

Clansman

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Shame the e320 doesn't work to Brussels yet. Worst comes to worst if the train is a non refurbished one then Ill just have to fork out an upgrade to Standard Premier.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. Shame the e320 doesn't work to Brussels yet. Worst comes to worst if the train is a non refurbished one then Ill just have to fork out an upgrade to Standard Premier.

Slightly ironically, quite a few e320s have been parked up at the Brussels depot for many months, but they don't yet operate service trains to London.

Seating is a very subjective thing, so I won't comment on that in particular, but I would say that the Brussels trains are lightly loaded more often than not, and they fill up alternate coaches during booking, so I doubt you will have much trouble finding a table of four to yourself at this time of year, giving you the space and privacy of Standard Premier, without the questionnable food and the questionnable price.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member

I wouldn't bother, for what you get it's not worth it.

anme

Established Member
Slightly ironically, quite a few e320s have been parked up at the Brussels depot for many months, but they don't yet operate service trains to London.

Seating is a very subjective thing, so I won't comment on that in particular, but I would say that the Brussels trains are lightly loaded more often than not, and they fill up alternate coaches during booking, so I doubt you will have much trouble finding a table of four to yourself at this time of year, giving you the space and privacy of Standard Premier, without the questionnable food and the questionnable price.

My experience is the opposite. Brussels trains are normally close to full. So book standard premier if you want it, although I also wouldn't bother if it's more than ten pounds more expensive.

Clansman

Established Member
I wouldn't bother, for what you get it's not worth it.
My experience is the opposite. Brussels trains are normally close to full. So book standard premier if you want it, although I also wouldn't bother if it's more than ten pounds more expensive.

I travelled in it once before and found some difference than Standard, comfort wise. Bigger seats which benefits me as I'm recovering from a recent car accident which is why I brought up this thread about the new train because Standard on the old ones didn't give me enough space. Lucky enough that I just fall under the "youth" bracket so I won't have to suffer too badly at the hands of Eurostar's hefty prices of an adult ticket.

Last edited:

lemonic

Lucky enough that I just fall under the "youth" bracket so I won't have to suffer too badly at the hands of Eurostar's hefty prices of an adult ticket.

As far as I understand it, the price of youth tickets is the same as that of adult tickets, except a token discount of £3 or £4 off the two cheapest tiers of tickets.

atillathehunn

Established Member

Weird. I've been that way about 100 times and it's never been more than a cursory loading. We must travel at very different times of day/year.

anme

Established Member
Weird. I've been that way about 100 times and it's never been more than a cursory loading. We must travel at very different times of day/year.

I guess so. I am a regular user for many years, travelling at all times of the year, typically (but not always) in the morning or evening and less often (but still sometimes) in the middle of the day. It has got busier over time, and in recent years I've found it typically 80%+ full in standard, throughout the train, and often completely full.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
As far as I understand it, the price of youth tickets is the same as that of adult tickets, except a token discount of £3 or £4 off the two cheapest tiers of tickets.

The fares structure's changed recently. There are now just two Youth tiers (equivalent to the two cheapest Adult tiers), but as you say, the discount is £4 at most.

So for London - Calais/Lille/Brussels it's £43/£54 Single, £56/£85 Off-Peak Return (Monday afternoon, all day Tuesday to Thursday, and Saturday afternoon, except around holiday times) and £76/£95 Peak Return. Standard Adult prices for the same tiers are £45/£56 Single, £58/£89 Off-Peak Return and £79/£99 Peak Return.

Fares tables for UK sales can be found here on the Eurostar Travel Trade site (Eurostar4Agents).

Status
Not open for further replies.