Real Time Trains Showing European Locations

Discussion in 'Allocations, Diagrams & Timetables' started by TheEdge, 20 Feb 2020.

1. TheEdge

TheEdge Established Member

So while mistyping Diss into the RTT search bar it gave Dusseldorf as an option. So I started playing and found that most European stations I tried was offered as an autofil.

When searched for they bring up "no trains" as opposed to location not known. The only exception is Eurostar terminals which show up their Eurostar services only. Strangely Lille, Calais etc don't show anything.

Does this mean RTT has plans to show European times?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Jonny

Jonny Established Member

It's more likely that they are placeholder entries on the database in case a train is ever planned to run from the UK to those locations, which lies somewhere within the realms of theoretical possibility (complicated by traction, crew considerations, economic factors, etc.).

4. 87015

87015 Established Member

They are long-standing locations in TRUST etc so will just be being picked up by RTT in the dataset.

5. TheEdge

Really? Again I can understand that for Eurostar stations but cities in Germany?

6. headshot119

headshot119 Established Member

There's a really useful site http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/ which lists current and historical uses of CRS, NLC, TIPLOC, STANME and STANOX codes. Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Wien, and others are all in.

7. StephenHunter

StephenHunter Member

Remember you'd have these destinations for BR freight wagons going back to the train ferry days. Not to mention the Night Ferry.

8. TheEdge

That makes sense. Thanks

9. duffield

duffield Member

I seem to remember Tom, the RTT guy, mentioning possible plans for covering non-UK trains - I think he said this was part of the reasoning for RTT changing to +/- notation for minutes late/early, because that's normally used in the relevant countries.