• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Really simple BOJ advice please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CC 72100

Established Member
Hi guys :)

Really simple query here, but I'm not very good at the old terms and conditions on tickets!

The journey I want to make is as follows...

Bristol Parkway (14:41) - Cardiff Central (15:22)

Cardiff Central (16:15) - Newport (SW) (16:28) [Train continues to Holyhead]

Newport (SW) (16:38) - Bristol Parkway (16:59)

Am I right in thinking that with an off-peak return, I am perfectly ok to take the Holyhead train as far as Newport where I will pick up a Pad-bound service for the journey from Newport to Bristol.

Is it permitted to do this? If it is, am I likely to encounter any problems on this?

(I appreciate that this is probably a simple answer for you guys, but I'm not too hot on the old ticketing what's permitted/what's not side of things)

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is no Off-Peak Return for that journey so do you in fact hold an Off-Peak Day Return (which is available on this flow)? Or do you hold a different ticket to that (in which case what is it)?

Either way it doesn't matter as what you're doing is not in fact considered a break of journey. The definition of a break of journey can be found in the NRCoC:

16. Starting, breaking or ending a journey at intermediate stations

For the purposes of this Condition and Condition 11, you will be treated as breaking your journey if you leave a Train Company’s or Rail Service Company’s stations after you start your journey other than to:

(i) join a train at another station, or

(ii) stay in overnight accommodation when you cannot reasonably complete your journey within one day, or

(iii) follow any instructions given by a member of a Train Company’s or Rail Service Company’s staff.

Seeing as you're changing trains and not leaving the station you're not breaking your journey.

calc7

Established Member
As you suggest, that is perfectly fine. For the record, alighting to change trains does not even count as BoJ!

If your sole reason for going is to pick up the 16:15 from CDF, you might want to travel sooner in case of delays/cancellations.

CC 72100

Established Member
Thanks for the speedy responses :)

@ainsworth74: Yep, it's an off-peak day return. I should have clarified that. My only worry was the fact that I was taking a train which could only do part of my journey, when I could wait 10 minutes and do a train that does the full length of my journey. (Cardiff - Bristol Parkway). I take it the TM on the 16:15 to Holyhead should give us no problems wit that either? The plan however is to pick up the Pad-bound HST from Newport.

@calc7 : Yes, we may well do. I've done the Holyhead as far as Newport a couple of times during a freedom of Severn & Solent 3 in 7 rover, but my younger brother quite fancies the idea of doing the 67. If we miss it, we miss it, but we still get a trip to Cardiff and an XC HST both ways inbetween Cheltenham & Bristol Parkway.

Cheers for both responses, appreciated :D

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My only worry was the fact that I was taking a train which could only do part of my journey, when I could wait 10 minutes and do a train that does the full length of my journey. I take it the TM on the 16:15 to Holyhead should give us no problems wit that either?

There is a chance they might think it a bit odd, I suppose, but it's 100% valid and I'd be amazed if they even comment on it. Other than, perhaps, to advise you to change at Newport if they feel like giving you more information.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I take it the TM on the 16:15 to Holyhead should give us no problems wit that either?
The TM may give you advice on where to change.

You are not doing a break of journey (as defined in NRCoC) and, even if you were, break of journey should always be permitted on Off Peak Day tickets (and also always permitted on the return portion of Off Peak tickets). For a break of journey restriction to be enforceable, it would also have to be made clear in notices & publications.

CC 72100

Established Member
Thanks both of you for your further advice. I also didn't know that a break of journey doesn't apply when changing trains - as you can probably tell, I don't normally roam into this part of the forum. :p

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well it's here to answer your questions be they complex or mundane, so please come back again if you need anything :)

trainophile

Established Member
The TM may give you advice on where to change.

You are not doing a break of journey (as defined in NRCoC) and, even if you were, break of journey should always be permitted on Off Peak Day tickets (and also always permitted on the return portion of Off Peak tickets). For a break of journey restriction to be enforceable, it would also have to be made clear in notices & publications.

Uncanny, I was just about to ask that very question, about BoJ on an off peak day return ticket I've got for tomorrow. Not only are you senior forumites mines of information, you're mind-readers too now! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.