• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Really strange PIS pronunciations

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
Do they get the various Kirkbys right? I think I'm right in saying that the second k is always silent, except for Kirkby in Ashfield, where you pronounce it. I've heard Kirkby (Merseyside) pronounced as spelt on the PIS. When I rode on the Borders line soon after reopening, Stow was pronounced as in Stowmarket but I was told it should rhyme with cow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

prod_pep

Established Member
The Merseyrail PIS gets Merseyside's Kirkby right, i.e. with a silent second 'k'. Can't speak for Northern's.

Established Member
I seem to remember the 350s pronounce Berkhamsted as 'Berk Hampstead', when I've always thought it was 'Berkumsted'. Any ideas which is correct?

I also seem to remember the male voice GWR use for their on-station announcements pronounces Ivybridge as though it's two separate words (Ivy Bridge), although I couldn't say for certain.

tetudo boy

Merseyrail trains pronounce "Birkenhead North" in a really weird way. While it does say it in the way it should be pronounced, there is a gap between "no" and "rth", so one could mistake it for saying "Birkenhead Nork" Or "Birkenhead Nok".

Class800

Established Member
About Birkenhead, there are a few ways to pronounce it - but hard to write an indication of how this one might sound, so one may find 43 seconds into this video clip informative (listen from 38 seconds for context). Certainly that's how anyone I know from Merseyside would pronounce this town.

prod_pep

Established Member
About Birkenhead, there are a few ways to pronounce it - but hard to write an indication of how this one might sound, so one may find 43 seconds into this video clip informative (listen from 38 seconds for context). Certainly that's how anyone I know from Merseyside would pronounce this town.

The main thing is the stress is on the last syllable: 'Birk-n-HEAD'. That's when we actually bother to say the full name of course - 'Birko' is common. We love shortening place names up here: Merseyrail for example has trains to 'Souie', 'Ormy', 'Newbo', 'Wekka' and 'Ellie Port'.

Class800

Established Member
From the video, it is something like BEAR CH N HEAD

BEAR as per the animal
CH as per Scottish loch
HEAD as per the part of anatomy

With stress on HEAD

oxfordray1

The 195 on the Hope Valley line pronounces Hope as Hawp. I don't live there but have walked to or from it hundreds of times and only ever heard people saying Hope.

oxfordray1

So it is. How strange. I could have sworn I looked through to check if someone had already mentioned it, but it must have been what my partner calls a 'man look'.

Parallel

Established Member
Annan seems to be pronounced as ‘A nan’ at most Scotrail stations instead of ‘Ann’n’. It is said correctly at Gretna Green but they haven’t changed the recording at their other stations.

Established Member
Surely the only acceptable way to pronounce that name is "Biiirkkkkkkk'ned"?

Status
Not open for further replies.