• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Really strange PIS pronunciations

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM70

Established Member
Not an announcement, but I was once told the story of an American gentleman asking the guard on his train "Excuse me sir, do you know when we get to Loogabarooga?"

It turned out the American gentleman was inquiring about Loughborough.

Years ago I was on one of the Birmingham - Paddingtons when they were frequently 50s, and an American asked “say, is it reading [as in a book] or reading [as in the town]?”

I've haven't been that way for ages, but: is Dodworth announced to rhyme with Cudworth and Bedworth (which I think it should be)?

It may be local dialect but a mate of mine is from Penistone and he pronounces it Dod’uth. (Which is at least consistent with the local pronunciation of Bedworth which is Bed’uth)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kilopylae

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but TfW's announcements (in addition to just being the Arriva Trains Wales announcements with "Transport for Wales" badly taped over them in a different voice... really grates after a while...) pronounce Machynlleth as something like 'MARK-n-flarf'. The people I know from there find it hysterical, particularly when the Welsh-language announcement then proceeds to say it flawlessly shortly afterwards.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I've haven't been that way for ages, but: is Dodworth announced to rhyme with Cudworth and Bedworth (which I think it should be)?
It's announced with the W pronounced, but I've always heard locals say "Dodduth". Cudworth's W is also silent according to Michael Parkinson who is from that neck of the woods. I always thought Bedworth was said as it's written but I've nothing to base that on other than my gut.

But that's the traditional pronunciation, and like many traditions, some of these are being lost.
If anything, the "Slawit" pronunciation is heard more now than it ever was growing up in the Colne Valley a quarter of a century ago. Basically as long as your first vowel sound is short ("path" rather than "play") you can't go far wrong.

Last edited:

martinsh

Established Member
A couple from Cheshire which haven't been mentioned yet.

Alsager is pronounced OL-SAY-JER not AL-SAY-JER (just like Alfreton and Altrincham )

More unusually, I've heard the announcements at Shrewsbury refer to Sandbach as SAND-BACK rather than SAND-BATCH i.e. as if it was Welsh !

Established Member
Surprised no-one's mentioned this one yet: Kingussie

Not sure which one's worse, the station announcer "king-gus-see", or LNER's onboard "king-goose-y". They irriate me but a while ago I travelled with a friend from Uni who was born there and was fairly sure his blood pressure rose each time it was announced.

Thought LNER were supposed to change them but it seems nothing yet (I mean, pandemic on and all that so fair enough). Can't believe they didn't check it first though when they initially recorded them!

(EDIT: found the article about it https://www.scotsman.com/news/trans...fter-mispronouncing-scottish-stations-1396100)
And, which is admittedly in the article, KIRK CALDY. I also seem to recall LNER announcing "INVER-KEITH-ING" onboard too as opposed to " INVER-KEYTHIN" which seems to be a far more common Scottish pronunciation.

ashkeba

Established Member
Honourable mention of course goes to Great Northern's Class 387's which happily announce themselves as "This is a, service, to London Kings Cross." I assume the PIS doesn't know how to say Great Northern as they were originally Southern units?
No, that's the radio edit with the swearing silenced. The full version plays 2-4am. ;)

fgwrich

Established Member
How does it happen that PIS announcements can be one station behind? I'm thinking of a recent journey when Earlsfield was announced as Clapham Junction, Wimbledon as Earlsfield, etc. Aren't they triggered by a GPS unit? Slightly off-topic, but it could be thought of as the ultimate in mis-pronunciations.

I believe the system in the Junipers is either GPS based or uses something based on the wheel rotation - either way it has always been pretty useless and is often thrown completely out of sync.

Parallel

Established Member
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but TfW's announcements (in addition to just being the Arriva Trains Wales announcements with "Transport for Wales" badly taped over them in a different voice...

It’s actually the same voice, it’s just that the original recordings were made in the 90s and the woman’s voice has changed a bit.

I forgot to mention that ATOS Anne has some very bad Welsh pronunciations. ‘Lean-gwirrel’, ‘Car-zoos’, ‘Pen mine MORE’, ‘Ton-DOO’ ‘Pembrey and BERRY Port’ to name a few.

At Birmingham International, the voice before the current one announced Machynlleth as ‘Muc kin leff’

Last edited:

scotrail158713

Established Member
I also seem to recall LNER announcing "INVER-KEITH-ING" onboard too as opposed to " INVER-KEYTHIN" which seems to be a far more common Scottish pronunciation.
It’s not just LNER. The announcements at Edinburgh do that, as well as Scotrail announcements I think. Despite all of that, I’ve checked with my (Fifer) Mum, who assured me it is “INVER-KEYTHIN”, as you say. :)

aar0

Do you, and others here not recognise or realise that there and will always be regional variations in the way places and words are pronounced? None of them are wrong!
In that example I could take you different areas of Cardiff and they would pronounce it differently; Ely would say it differently to those in Rhiwbina!

There is no "right or wrong", it's the language!
And thank the Lord we don't all sound the same!!

It's not an accent, it's a computerised voice taking a pause in a word. Central with any accent I know is one word, the 80xs say "Sen tral", two words with too much "S"!

northernbelle

It's not an accent, it's a computerised voice taking a pause in a word. Central with any accent I know is one word, the 80xs say "Sen tral", two words with too much "S"!
I suspect that's simply the voice's accent, given she's from Wales. I have Welsh friends who'd say it similarly...

urbophile

Established Member
“Newcastle” being pronounced northern style with a hard “a” (ie rhyming with “naff”) by the otherwise Received Pronunciation automatic announcements at King’s Cross always surprises me.
And with the stress on the second syllable?

Calthrop

Established Member
Not an announcement, but I was once told the story of an American gentleman asking the guard on his train "Excuse me sir, do you know when we get to Loogabarooga?"

It turned out the American gentleman was inquiring about Loughborough.

I'd heard this one; though concerning not an American, but an Australian, gentleman. I can sympathise with the putative Aussie: "Loogabarooga" would make an excellent word in some Native Australian language.

aar0

I suspect that's simply the voice's accent, given she's from Wales. I have Welsh friends who'd say it similarly...

Fair enough. I live in Sssssswanssssea, and haven't heard it said like the trains voice by anyone I know here!

YorksLad12

Established Member
It may be local dialect but a mate of mine is from Penistone and he pronounces it Dod’uth. (Which is at least consistent with the local pronunciation of Bedworth which is Bed’uth)
It's announced with the W pronounced, but I've always heard locals say "Dodduth". Cudworth's W is also silent according to Michael Parkinson who is from that neck of the woods. I always thought Bedworth was said as it's written but I've nothing to base that on other than my gut.

A friend of mine from the area (he's retired to southern Spain now, heaven knows what they make of him) says Cudduth, which is why I was wondering about nearby Dodduth Station.

Bedduth I was educated about during a trip to Bedworth Oval for a football match. Nuneaton's quite a way from Barnsley but still the same pronunciation shortcut...

TheEdge

Established Member
I've always thought Machynlleth was pronounced "Mak-hunt-leff". Obvious always the opportunity for an "innocent" mistake when giving it a go though...

Kilopylae

I've always thought Machynlleth was pronounced "Mak-hunt-leff". Obvious always the opportunity for an "innocent" mistake when giving it a go though...
That's kind of it, but both the k-h consonant and the l are sounds that don't really exist in normal English. It's a bit like 'Ma-hun-fleff' where the h is the sound in 'loch' or 'Bach' and the fl is a cross between an 'f' and an 'l' rather than one said after the other. The stress is on the "hun" syllable.

TheEdge

Established Member
That's kind of it, but both the k-h consonant and the l are sounds that don't really exist in normal English. It's a bit like 'Ma-hun-fleff' where the h is the sound in 'loch' or 'Bach' and the fl is a cross between an 'f' and an 'l' rather than one said after the other. The stress is on the "hun" syllable.

Suppose those nosies are a general issue with Welsh words pronounced in English.

I went to university in Aberystwyth and always pronounced it "Aber-ist-whif" but my Welsh grandmother pronounces it "Aber-ust-wuf"

6026KingJohn

Detail from a portrait of Bess of Hardwick, Countess of Shewsbury at Hardwick Hall. (not my picture) Might help with Shrewsbury pronunciation.
Bess of Hardwick.jpg

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm a Londoner born and bred and I pronounce it Marra lebone. I've never heard any Londoner pronounce it differently, not that it comes up in conversation very often.
What part of London? I was brought up in NW London, and only ever heard it referred to as Marley-bone.

Class800

Established Member
relatives in S.E. London say it's MARLEY BONE - but say maybe some very 'posh' people would say MARRA LE BONE - like Noel Coward type voices!

TFN

The iBus on 453 always says Marra le bone so that's how I say it since I first heard it when I was younger.

Andyh82

Established Member
Another that used to get on my nerves was the "Posh Celia" South West Trains switched to at certain stations before their franchise ended - she sounded a lot slower and frankly a little patronising. "Bing Bong. Pllaaaatform Twooooo for the Eleveeen Twenty Twooo South West Trains service toooo".
I think the exact same happened when Celia replaced Phil Sayer a few years ago across the Northern network as well, she sounded particularly posh up north when we’d never heard her up here before

On a separate note, didn’t the ATW 175s used to pronounce Llandudno and Llandudno Junction differently which I’m guessing isn’t right?

prod_pep

Established Member
I've definitely heard Londoners pronounce Marylebone 'Marra-le-b'n' which is my chosen pronunciation also. It does appear to be the favoured variant in received pronunciation.

The incorrectly added extra syllable in Alvechurch used by both ATOS Anne and Julie Berry gets on my nerves. It's 'Alv-church', not 'Alverchurch'.

bramling

Veteran Member
I've definitely heard Londoners pronounce Marylebone 'Marra-le-b'n' which is my chosen pronunciation also. It does appear to be the favoured variant in received pronunciation.

The incorrectly added extra syllable in Alvechurch used by both ATOS Anne and Julie Berry gets on my nerves. It's 'Alv-church', not 'Alverchurch'.

If one thinks back to 1980s London news, which in those days there tended to be an effort made to get things right, it was definitely Marra-lee-bun (note the bun not bone).

However over time I think there has been a shift towards Mar-lee-bone, which if anything is probably more common in London now. I suspect one will find older and more established people are the main users of the former.

As things shift over time we can perhaps say that both are acceptable.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If Shrewsbury is anything to go by (is it "Shroo's berry", "Shrow's berry" or even "Shoo's berry"?) then clearly not everyone is going to be happy! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.