• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
But an easy algorithm would be that if these timings are for a certain operator e.g. greater Anglia, then change unit name to 170 turbostar, GA don't even operate 158s so would be easy. Same for southern and the diesel units, as these are the only diesel units they operate.

GA do operate Class 158s on a daily basis Monday to Saturday hiring in an EMT unit as well as occasionally covering for unit shortages though these are crew dependent. (Today as an example over and above the usal train).

TrainTube

That only works so far. To take TfW as an example, both their 175s and 58s are listed under express sprinter (158) timings. One can distinguish between them by whether they're listed as 90mph or 100mp max speed. And that isn't guaranteed to be accurate either: 1K62 to Crewe is timed as 100mph, and the return working 1D10 is timed for 90. Which is the "correct" one?

Elsewhere, what do you do with an EMT service that's pathed as a "Class 150/153/155/156 (Sprinter) DMU", given that EMT operate both 153s and 156s? And as for Northern's fabled Random Unit Generator... o_O
I know its not easy, and I don't suggest doing it for every TOC, Northern obviously is very difficult. For TFW, you could just put if train is 100mph max, then change name to 175.
Rolling stock changes do mean it has to be changed, but its not like new rolling stock is coming in all the time, and I don't suggest it be done for non passenger workings either.

TrainTube

GA do operate Class 158s on a daily basis Monday to Saturday hiring in an EMT unit as well as occasionally covering for unit shortages though these are crew dependent. (Today as an example over and above the usal train).
170s have a top speed of 100, 158s have a top speed of 90. Change whichever service goes 100 max to 170 Turbostar.

TrainTube

If it was abandoned I wouldn't be paying about £2,000 per month to keep it going...

There is a substantial update coming, and a small group of around 30 people have access to it (although it's currently down) which brings a new branding to the site amongst the facility for further improvements. There's also a number of things in the pipeline that don't touch the GB mainline that should hit the public by the end of the year.

Over the last few months, starting in mid-March, I started a long 8 month programme to revamp the infrastructure that runs it. I've thrown in about £15,000 in capital for new servers, firewalls, switching. At the beginning of the year, I had two data centres (half cab in York, 3U in Gatwick for those that care) that are both being moved to cater for increased capacity and future projects. Those new data centres (full cab near London Bridge, and half cab in Manchester) are nearing completion and RTT will be brought live in the London data centre next week. That, amongst other paid work which contributes to the running cost and salaries (yes, it's a full time job), have taken most of my time recently. https://bgp.he.net/AS209082 for an example of the work being done although I imagine only networking people will understand that!

As ever, we read everything via the feedback email address on the website even if we don't reply...

Not really true. Looked at doing this before. Setting something up like this initially is easy, then they start changing their fleets. 755s being a primary example. It's hard enough keeping up with signalling system changes.
Don't worry, I appreciate the time an effort you put in. Rolling stock updates isn't a must, I was just saying that it could be an improvement, but keep maintaining RTT, many people are thankful for it!

duffield

Established Member
I see RTT was promptly updated today to show 'EM' code trains as 'East Midlands Railway'.

Thanks for this excellent facility Tom.

Last edited:

DavidGrain

Established Member
Is this referring to heritage railways or old timetables?

We have been promised the heritage railways although personal I would not have regarded this as a priority except where they share the national network such as the North York Moors Railway to Whitby which is already included. I was also interested to see that the Tram-Trains from Rotherham are timed all the way to Cathedral Square in Sheffield.

What I would like to see is more links showing the reporting numbers of the workings before and after, ie did the train run to depot or did it form another train.

What I would like to see is more links showing the reporting numbers of the workings before and after, ie did the train run to depot or did it form another train.
Do you mean 'Associations'?
I do recall a year or two ago (but not recently) that one of the websites using the open data showed the association's as 'Train formed from xxxx' and 'Train then forms xxxx' or something similar.
I think the info is still sent out in the data streams. (but it requires the association's to be input by NR in the first place...)

_toommm_

Established Member
We have been promised the heritage railways although personal I would not have regarded this as a priority except where they share the national network such as the North York Moors Railway to Whitby which is already included. I was also interested to see that the Tram-Trains from Rotherham are timed all the way to Cathedral Square in Sheffield.

It does for some trains - you'll see the Sheffield to Huddersfield trains as showing they're formed from xXxx from abc, and that they go on to form xXxx to xyz.

Par exemple:

Screenshot_20190818-194222_Chrome.jpg

It does for some trains - you'll see the Sheffield to Huddersfield trains as showing they're formed from xXxx from abc, and that they go on to form xXxx to xyz.

Par exemple:

View attachment 67406
Just realised I'm using my mobile - so likely to be displaying varying information (as I don't see it, on that schedule).

_toommm_

Established Member
Just realised I'm using my mobile - so likely to be displaying varying information (as I don't see it, on that schedule).

I'm using my phone too - depending on how big it is, turn it to landscape and it should show more info.

Saperstein

Can I just add my thanks Tom, I use RTT all the time, wouldn’t be without it!

Just a QQ if there is a cancellation where does the reason description come from?

For example, today (Sun 18/08)

2D98 1908 IPS LWT was cancelled, GA were reporting it as “due to a train fault” RTT said it was “due to a mishap (MY).”

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L71572/2019/08/18/advanced

Saperstein

Last edited:

They're sent out within the Train Movements Feed, which is fed by TRUST.
The cancellation code will be what whoever inputted it into trust would be (which is changeable after its input (IIRC).

EDIT: (from the description list here)
MY - Coupler and Coupler system faults - COUPLER. So inded, train fault (possibly).

Tom

We have been promised the heritage railways although personal I would not have regarded this as a priority except where they share the national network such as the North York Moors Railway to Whitby which is already included.
Well, it isn't really included. It's there as much as Network Rail are concerned... ;)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Do you mean 'Associations'?
I do recall a year or two ago (but not recently) that one of the websites using the open data showed the association's as 'Train formed from xxxx' and 'Train then forms xxxx' or something similar.
I think the info is still sent out in the data streams. (but it requires the association's to be input by NR in the first place...)

Cardiff Central shows what formed off and next movement

66Yorks

It works well for me when I use it. Traksy for tracking, RTT for times. EMR has already updated EMT so is being maintained.
Well done Tom.

Mogster

Yes, thanks for your work on RTT Tom. Used daily on my commute.

I would be prepared to drop a few quid on a functioning iOS app if it returned to the App Store.

Tom

TRUST output is one of the component parts of the open data service, but it is not a terminal. The data that is streamed out of TRUST is primarily train movement, cancellation, etc. Timing loads are derived from the timetable component which are part of a CIF file.

Bovverboy

Established Member
Perhaps I could take this opportunity to say how much I appreciate RTT, I use it all the time. It's the best thing since sliced bread, and I don't hesitate to recommend it to others, in particular, intending train passengers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Perhaps I could take this opportunity to say how much I appreciate RTT, I use it all the time. It's the best thing since sliced bread, and I don't hesitate to recommend it to others, in particular, intending train passengers.

I agree. Provided you know how to interpret it (and how that affects different stations - for instance it's near 100%[1] on platforms at Euston but often wrong at Victoria), it is extremely useful.

[1] I would say it was 100%, but I got caught out by a last minute unit swap at Euston the other week. Didn't miss the train (as I noticed something was afoot and confirmed it with the NRE app which is fed from the Euston PIS) but did end up standing.

TrainTube

TRUST output is one of the component parts of the open data service, but it is not a terminal. The data that is streamed out of TRUST is primarily train movement, cancellation, etc. Timing loads are derived from the timetable component which are part of a CIF file.
If that element of trust is shared with open data feeds such as RTT, is there a reason why the unit number cant be stated on a service, this isn't complaining abour RTT, but as to why no website does this at the moment.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If that element of trust is shared with open data feeds such as RTT, is there a reason why the unit number cant be stated on a service, this isn't complaining abour RTT, but as to why no website does this at the moment.
I think Tom probably meant to say that the open data streams include some data from TRUST, but not all the data that you could get using a TRUST terminal. As Yorkie said last Sunday the info is not in the open data?

TrainTube

I know that you are busy managing RTT, what changes or new features can we expect in the future?

DaveHarries

Established Member
Can I add my thanks too Tom - it’s a superb site and for people like me who love figuring out rolling stock diagrams it’s magnificent!!
I will join in adding my thanks also for RTT's continued existence: it is very useful when I am at work and need to plan connections between trains.

Dave