• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

greatkingrat

Established Member
On checking back to yesterday (Mon), 1W02 was worked by 800102, which worked onto Clayhills around13:15.
It remained there for the afternoon/overnight/this morning, then worked 1E25 to KX, departing Aberdeen 14:52.
Spending around 25 hours in Aberdeen seems very wasteful.
I

With the reduced timetable there are presumably plenty of units to go round.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
With the reduced timetable there are presumably plenty of units to go round.
It also would appear to allow
* the maintenance staff at Clayhills to retain some work since otherwise they wouldn't see a set overnight with the reduced timetable
* mileage to be more balanced each day

_toommm_

Established Member
Hi Tom,

I notice in your tweet you mentioned that LNER Azuma numbers are available. Out of curiosity, are the numbers of the 91s and the DVTs not available due to the same sort of issue as to why the powercars on ScotRail HSTs aren't available?

For clarity, I'm just genuinely curious, this is not a complaint or criticism :)

Tom

Similar enough reason. Train sets are formed of locomotives and coaches, but the set identity gets allocated rather than anything else. I have no visibility of the actual formation of the sets.

We are working out the best way forward for it and have about 3 different routes, all of which are going to take a little while. I don't think the DVT number is likely to be a thing though, as it's literally just a coach in the consist rather than being a locomotive.

_toommm_

Established Member
Similar enough reason. Train sets are formed of locomotives and coaches, but the set identity gets allocated rather than anything else. I have no visibility of the actual formation of the sets.

We are working out the best way forward for it and have about 3 different routes, all of which are going to take a little while. I don't think the DVT number is likely to be a thing though, as it's literally just a coach in the consist rather than being a locomotive.

That's fair enough - like I say it wasn't a criticism. Thank you for all the work you've put/are putting into the project.

Peter C

Established Member

alm37

This is an excellent addition - thank you. How are the discussions with other TOCs progressing as to adding their train formations and unit allocations, if I may ask?

Peter C

Established Member
This is an excellent addition - thank you. How are the discussions with other TOCs progressing as to adding their train formations and unit allocations, if I may ask?
I'm not the person in charge of RTT - I just found it on Twitter.
I think @Tom will be the person to answer your question.

-Peter :)

malc-c

In the thread on Stevenages new platform, there is a discussion regarding signal 1978. On the subject of the signalling and RTT, I noticed that when moving back from Platform 5 to Watton, the current empty stock movement went from the block in the platform, to the block by signal 1974. The two blocks (by blocks I mean the black blocks on the diagram, not any sectional block) by 935 and 939 are skipped. However when a movement in to platform 5 happens, the ID is seen moving in and out of the blocks next to 1969, 1939, 935 and finally 940. Just wondering why RTT doesn't show the train ID as it moves pass signal 935 and 939 ?

3973EXL

Established Member
OTT OpenTrainTimes not RTT.

Berths by 935 & 939 signals are for down moves. From 940 the first up signal is 1974.

Serathor

most interested in. (freight) Also near to where I live.

I need to know how to use the Realtime trains website, but I just can't figure it out properly. Please can someone answer some questions on this to get me started?

I’m sorry but I could not find the answers to my questions on the RT website, or on here (that would help me)

I have attached a screenshot of the current day (“RTT_Image 1”)

1. (Red Outline), what is the difference between the rows highlighted in Blue, and the ones in white?

2. (Yellow Outline) “Act Dep” why are the times on here in BOLD, and different colours (Blue, Black, Red) and what do the different colours symbolise?

3. (Blue Outline) I think I have got this figured out.

Screenshot (“RTT_Image 2”)

1. So this is the table for this coming Saturday, is this right, that there is (for example) that between 12:37 and 13:06, there are four non passenger services passing through (or stopping) at Ribblehead. (Blue Box) is this right?

2. Is this accurate? If I click on them some of them do not have a banner at the top of the page stating that it might not run (or something along those lines). So if there is no banner at the top. Does that mean it is definitely running.

3. How do I see if something fancy is running, like a passenger charter, hauled by a steam train for example. How would I know that one of them is going to be passing over?

Sorry if the questions are stupid, or vague. But I am really struggling to get the answers in a way that I will be able to understand the data on this website.
Many Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• RTT_Image 2.png
    RTT_Image 2.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 89
  • RTT_Image 1.png
    RTT_Image 1.png
    253.7 KB · Views: 90

XAM2175

Established Member
The learning curve with detailed mode can sometimes be a bit steep so you needn't worry too much - indeed I'll probably make a mistake in this attempt at explanation :p

Image 1:
  1. The white rows are trains scheduled to call at, start from, or terminate at the selected location. The blue rows are trains that pass the location without a scheduled call (the Plan Arr field shows "pass"), or for which the scheduled call has been cancelled (the Plan Arr field shows the time for which the arrival was planned).
  2. The bold figures in the Act Arr ("Actual Arrival") and Act Dep ("Actual Departure") are confirmed timing reports for the train. They're blue when the train is early, black when the train is zero to five minutes late, and red when the train is more than five minutes late. The times will be in italics (not shown in your image) when they are predictions based on the train's prior timekeeping, and will be replaced with "(Q)" when the train's schedule has not yet been activated.
Image 2:
  1. The rows outlined in blue indicated that four trains are scheduled to pass Ribblehead without stopping. You cannot automatically assume that they're non-passenger; one of them (1Z43) is in fact a passenger service.
  2. The trains without the banner have had their schedules activated and so will probably run, but you can't consider it definite until they actually start to run. The ones with the banner are the same ones that show "(Q)" in Image 1 Question 2.
  3. You will need to work this out based on a combination of the train's origin, destination, operating company, and ID (also referred to as "headcode"). An ID beginning 1, 2, or 9 followed by a letter and then two more numbers is a passenger service, one in the same pattern beginning 5 is empty passenger stock, and one beginning 0 is one or many light locomotive/s. An ID beginning 4, 6, 7, or 8 is freight, as are IDs formed of three numbers followed by a letter, or the placeholder value "FRGT". Some passenger charters, depending on the operator, will also show with a freight-type headcode. As I noted above, 1Z43 is a passenger service and based on the origin and destination points (plus prior knowledge) can be identified as the "Staycation Express" open charter service.

Established Member
The learning curve with detailed mode can sometimes be a bit steep so you needn't worry too much - indeed I'll probably make a mistake in this attempt at explanation :p

Image 1:
  1. The white rows are trains scheduled to call at, start from, or terminate at the selected location. The blue rows are trains that pass the location without a scheduled call (the Plan Arr field shows "pass"), or for which the scheduled call has been cancelled (the Plan Arr field shows the time for which the arrival was planned).

2. The rows outlined in blue indicated that four trains are scheduled to pass Ribblehead without stopping. You cannot automatically assume that they're non-passenger; one of them (1Z43) is in fact a passenger service.

I'm sure the distinction between blue and white rows is that white shows 'regular ' passenger trains, regardless of whether they stop. The Skipton-Appleby tourist trains (and charters in general) are always blue even where they stop.

1. The trains without the banner have had their schedules activated and so will probably run, but you can't consider it definite until they actually start to run. The ones with the banner are the same ones that show "(Q)" in Image 1 Question 2.
  1. The tourist train (which has it's own thread here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...hauled-trains-between-skipton-appleby.205811/ ) will run barring unforeseen problems on the day. None of the three 'runs as required' trains ran last Saturday - that doesn't mean they won't in future, but I would assume gypsum from Drax and what looks like the HST measurement train aren't particularly common.

(Apologies for the renumbering, ignore it)

Serathor

Thank you all for your detailed and very helpful replies.
My original post did have text missing from the top, because I typed it up in a word document 1st and it didn't copy it all over. It was more or less me saying why I wanted to use the RT Website. I am looking to film trains that I am interested in and near a location within reasonable distance from where I am.
Also for some reason this my post got merged into this one

However Thank you again for your replies I am sure I will have more questions though, when I go through the website in more detail later on today.

XAM2175

Established Member
I'm sure the distinction between blue and white rows is that white shows 'regular ' passenger trains, regardless of whether they stop.
Told you I'd get something wrong! That'll teach me for almost always looking at terminal stations haha.

Freightmaster

Established Member
1. So this is the table for this coming Saturday, is this right, that there is (for example) that between 12:37 and 13:06, there are four non passenger services passing through (or stopping) at Ribblehead. (Blue Box) is this right?
Correct, as per other replies the 37-hauled Appleby train and the test train from Derby should both run,
but please note that there are no Saturday (or Sunday) freight services on the S+C these days.

3. How do I see if something fancy is running, like a passenger charter, hauled by a steam train for example. How would I know that one of them is going to be passing over?
As far as I am aware, the train in your [image 2] at 1600 is steam hauled, and there is another next Tuesday too!

You can thin you list down quite a bit by selecting 'passes only', like this:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/RHD/2020-08-08/0600-2000?stp=VS&show=pass&order=wtt

MARK

Tom

Although the headcodes remain scrambled. There is no logic to that on LSL's part.
This is in the process of being resolved. While I have the capability to permanently deobfuscate their headcodes, I’d rather it was done at the NR end. It will probably take a while with their supplier though.

Strangely though they do show unscrambled the day before.
Obfuscation on schedules is ATOC code based and then a train service code filter. Trains with ZZ are obfuscated automatically, and then not if they match the right service code. LSL have their own ATOC code so not done there.

At the TRUST level it’s done based on sector IDs from memory, and that has to be set to “allow” as it’s a default deny.

Serathor

Correct, as per other replies the 37-hauled Appleby train and the test train from Derby should both run,
but please note that there are no Saturday (or Sunday) freight services on the S+C these days.

As far as I am aware, the train in your [image 2] at 1600 is steam hauled, and there is another next Tuesday too!

You can thin you list down quite a bit by selecting 'passes only', like this:
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/RHD/2020-08-08/0600-2000?stp=VS&show=pass&order=wtt

MARK

Thankyou, I saw everything I wanted to with the help from here and RTT. Can't make next Tuesday for another Kettle though. ... got to go to work :(

Condor7

MARK

As I know Mark is aware from his own Freightmaster site, his statement above has now changed.
There has just restarted a Saturday morning Newbiggin (Kirkby Thore) to Carlisle New Yard 6C97 operated by DB, which becomes the 6E97 on Monday morning to Tees Dock along the Tyne Valley line.

Freightmaster

Established Member
As I know Mark is aware from his own Freightmaster site, his statement above has now changed.
There has just restarted a Saturday morning Newbiggin (Kirkby Thore) to Carlisle New Yard 6C97 operated by DB, which becomes the 6E97 on Monday morning to Tees Dock along the Tyne Valley line.
Correct - I was referring to the OP's specific question about trains passing Ribblehead, on the S+C 'proper' ;)

MARK