• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

Condor7

MARK
[/QUOTE]
Correct - I was referring to the OP's specific question about trains passing Ribblehead, on the S+C 'proper' ;)

MARK

it makes a nice change that us Northern S&C spotters get something those Southern S&C softies don’t get. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Does anyone know if RailMiles allows you to log journeys? Or is it just a tool for calculating the length of a journey?

Mathieu

Does anyone know if RailMiles allows you to log journeys? Or is it just a tool for calculating the length of a journey?
You can log all your journeys and what loco/units you have and much more. It will even auto-fill all relevant information for each trip such as headcodes and arrival/departure timings both actual and WTT. I started using it last December and my only regret is not using it soon enough.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
You can log all your journeys and what loco/units you have and much more. It will even auto-fill all relevant information for each trip such as headcodes and arrival/departure timings both actual and WTT. I started using it last December and my only regret is not using it soon enough.

Excellent, thanks very much for the info.

Tom

Some minor updates overnight that aren't important enough to warrant their own post on the RTT blog:

• Improvements to the handling of train lengths for services originating in TOPS
  • Caledonian Sleeper services will now show the number of vehicles in the simple and detailed views
  • Improved handling of train formations in certain circumstances

Effectively, more Locomotive Services trains will now show the train length on the Skipton-Appleby service, except where they haven't been consisted in the first place. Caledonian Sleeper services will now show the train length once they are consisted in the appropriate data feed.

In some circumstances, train formations didn't show up due to a data feed issue or service matching - the handling in these circumstances has now been improved specifically for LNER services but it isn't yet perfect.

Tom

Something a bit new and different today, and not something that many people expected - but feedback positive so far in that many didn't think they'd want it but now it's there it's useful so there we go.

Track Your Train is a new feature today that provides the location of a train and information about its forward progress. On supported lines of route, a new information panel will be displayed which will show a number of tidbits of information. It'll identify likely forward or current signal aspects, current position, forward potential progress in the detailed mode and what might be causing some slow running or waiting.

It also provides the ability to do early platform confirmation at all stations along the supported lines of route for all train services. Also at the origin of services at selected stations, the service can now show 'preparing to depart' and 'ready to depart' where appropriate.

More information is available at https://blog.realtimetrains.com/2020/09/introducing-track-your-train/

Not an enthusiast thing, more a general passenger thing, but I'm sure that @DarloRich will see where I'm going ;)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Something a bit new and different today, and not something that many people expected - but feedback positive so far in that many didn't think they'd want it but now it's there it's useful so there we go.

Track Your Train is a new feature today that provides the location of a train and information about its forward progress. On supported lines of route, a new information panel will be displayed which will show a number of tidbits of information. It'll identify likely forward or current signal aspects, current position, forward potential progress in the detailed mode and what might be causing some slow running or waiting.

It also provides the ability to do early platform confirmation at all stations along the supported lines of route for all train services. Also at the origin of services at selected stations, the service can now show 'preparing to depart' and 'ready to depart' where appropriate.

More information is available at https://blog.realtimetrains.com/2020/09/introducing-track-your-train/

Not an enthusiast thing, more a general passenger thing, but I'm sure that @DarloRich will see where I'm going ;)

Good stuff, certain parties have made out that the kind of advance platform information is 'impossible' so its good to see another example of it being achieved!

I do have a question tho, as I understand it a train showing in a platform berth could show 'preparing to depart', 'at platform', or 'ready to depart'? What do each of these mean, as in what triggers a service to be shown as one rather than another?

pdeaves

Established Member
I do have a question tho, as I understand it a train showing in a platform berth could show 'preparing to depart', 'at platform', or 'ready to depart'? What do each of these mean, as in what triggers a service to be shown as one rather than another?
I suspect that 'ready to depart' means that someone on the platform has pressed the TRTS (train ready to start) button.

Tom

Preparing to depart is based on TRTS. Ready to depart will appear if the TRTS has been called and a route has been set. It will revert to At platform if the route gets thrown back.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Preparing to depart is based on TRTS. Ready to depart will appear if the TRTS has been called and a route has been set. It will revert to At platform if the route gets thrown back.

Ah excellent thanks. I was a bit confused by "preparing to depart" as it kind of sounds like it would be shown against a train for longer than 3 minutes - I suppose if it is "train ready to start" its not exactly "preparing" but I understand the problem in turning this into non railway jargon language.

Tom

My view was TRTS is typically called when the train is in its final preparations for departure, prior to being able to actually go. I did ponder about using 'Train Ready to Start' in the detailed mode specifically but decided that it wasn't worth having the difference between the two modes. 'Ready to depart' is pretty evident that there's essentially nothing barring it.

PS when will it give me a unit number? ;)
:lol::lol::lol:

I got to over 10% of services on the network this year, which was pretty unlikely this time last year!

sjoh

@Tom Really appreciate RTT and use it all the time! I was wondering what the chances were of being able to filter by platform at some point in the future? Appreciate you've loads of other stuff to get on with however!

theironroad

Established Member
@Tom Really appreciate RTT and use it all the time! I was wondering what the chances were of being able to filter by platform at some point in the future? Appreciate you've loads of other stuff to get on with however!

I have wondered that on occasion as sometime useful at busy terminals to see what time a inward train arrives when trying to get to a platform early for an outward train.

Brooke

I have wondered that on occasion as sometime useful at busy terminals to see what time a inward train arrives when trying to get to a platform early for an outward train.

I’m not the only person to do that then! I find RTT very useful for that where inbound trains often come in late & shortly before departure, eg at Euston or Liverpool Street.

Tom

Extremely unlikely. The majority of these requests come from railway staff, who would find it useful in their daily goings on at work, whose parent companies pay the grand total of zero towards the site. There is an internal, industry targeted, version of the site with this functionality, however.

sjoh

Extremely unlikely. The majority of these requests come from railway staff, who would find it useful in their daily goings on at work, whose parent companies pay the grand total of zero towards the site. There is an internal, industry targeted, version of the site with this functionality, however.
Fair enough! It's not massively difficult to pick through the platform numbers anyway, just thought it worth asking!

DavidGrain

Established Member
Years ago when I was travelling on the WCML regularly I used to watch the arrivals board at Euston in the hope of being able to be at the head of the ramp rather than be in the rush to get a seat from the main concourse. Didn't always work.

Established Member
There seems to have been a update today:
Scot rail HSTs now showing diagrams and power car numbers.
CS now has diagrams which includes the different portions.
LNER 91s now have numbers and services which reverse at Leeds now have diagrams.

43 302

Established Member
There seems to have been a update today:
Scot rail HSTs now showing diagrams and power car numbers.
CS now has diagrams which includes the different portions.
LNER 91s now have numbers and services which reverse at Leeds now have diagrams.
The 91s also show their different liveries too.