• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43 302

Established Member
Do you mean pictorially, also showing Coach A, Coach B, etc.? If so, at least some class 800 workings have these, too.
Yes, the 91s with unique liveries (101, 110, 111, 114 & 119) all display the livery.

_toommm_

Established Member
Northern allocations now on RTT, including Know Your Train, and some very nice graphics too:

Attachments

• 2F3BD466-4779-49DF-9A8A-C0E6A872EE9C.png
    2F3BD466-4779-49DF-9A8A-C0E6A872EE9C.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 130

ABB125

Established Member
Here are the two latest "press releases" from RTT:
Improvements to Know Your Train
19 October 2020
It’s a bumper update to Realtime Trains this month! Most of the improvements are to Know Your Train but there have also been a number of reliability and small functionality changes, meaning over 10% of the code that powers Realtime Trains has been changed in this update.

Changes in Formation
Know Your Train diagram of an LNER Electra from London Kings Cross to Leeds, with a subsequent formation change

On any train service with changes in formation, we’ll now show each version and allow you to flick between them using arrows that will appear either side of the diagram. If there’s multiple formations, or the formation doesn’t apply the entire distance, then we’ll also show the parts of the service it applies between above the diagram.

When you click onto the train service from any location en route, we’ll show you the correct layout of the rolling stock at the location from which you reached the train.

Caledonian Sleeper
Know Your Train diagram of the Highland Caledonian Sleeper between London Euston and Edinburgh Waverley
Know Your Train diagram of the Highland Caledonian Sleeper between Edinburgh Waverley and Inverness

As part of these changes, we have added support to Know Your Train for the Highland Caledonian Sleeper services1 to Inverness and Fort William.

ScotRail
Know Your Train diagram of a ScotRail Inter7City HST train

We’ve added support for ScotRail’s Inter7City HST which currently operate on routes from the Central Belt cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow to Inverness, Dundee, Perth and Stirling. They also service the route between Aberdeen and Inverness.

In detailed mode, the power car numbers will be displayed.

LNER
Know Your Train diagram of a 5 car Azuma train with first class leading

LNER’s 5 car Azuma trains, which can run in multiple up to 10 car formations, will now display the letters of each coach.

We’ve been working with LNER and can now identify the locomotive (in most cases!) hauling their ‘Electric’ trains from York and Leeds to/from London - keep an eye out for the special liveries.

Class 91 fleet with special liveries

Additional facilities
We’re also adding three additional facilities to individual coaches, some of which you can see in the screenshots for each operator above.

On Caledonian Sleeper services, we’ll highlight the sleeping cars with an icon of a bed.

On LNER services, we’ll highlight the first class and buffet coaches.

Other changes
There have been several further changes to functionality around Know Your Train and train allocations:

• In detailed mode, the following changes have been made for train services where an allocation is available:
    • Timing load information now located on first location line, similar to en-route changes
    • Pathing speed no longer be displayed in the operational info box, now located with timing load info
  • Improved handling for situations where an allocation starts and ends at the same location
  • Added capability for coach letters on portion worked services with two or more multiple units
  • Train length is no longer displayed at cancelled locations in both simple and detailed mode
  • Improved handling of applying ambiguous allocation detail to train services
  • Facilities, coach numbers and letters will no longer be displayed on non-passenger services
  • The simple mode will no longer display a train diagram for non-passenger services
  • LNER Azuma trains in 10 car formation will display the quiet coach in coach H
  • The image for ScotRail’s class 318s no longer contains a corridor connection
There have been the following general improvements:

• Rebuilt the rendering system for drawing train imagery
  • Class 92 timing loads on Caledonian Sleeper services are now displayed as Class 92 locomotive, rather than an electric locomotive with 92 tonnes trailing load
  • Updated timing load description for trains pathed as Castle Class HSTs
  • Fixed an issue where timing load changes, on the frontend, weren’t properly handled when a value was changed to empty - e.g. “E410” to “EMU”, resulting in Class 410 EMU on LNER
  • Reimplemented support for trains operated by two train operators which change en route - primarily seen on services through Dumfries to/from the Tyne Valley and Newcastle
  • Fixed issues with delays of over 50 years if a train returned to origin
  • An issue which inhibited buses and ships from appearing in the simple mode when looking at a live departure or arrival board has been fixed
Hello Northern
21 October 2020
We’re pleased to announce that Northern are the next train operator to join Know Your Train.

Know Your Train is our way of providing more information about the actual train operating than anything else. We will tell you what the train will look like, how long the train will be and what facilities you can expect to find onboard.

A Northern 4 car class 331 showing facilities

Northern are the second largest train operator currently operating over 15,000 services per week covering over 560,000 miles. They also have the most diverse fleet in the country operating 17 different types of train across its 378 strong fleet.

Much of Northern’s fleet is currently undergoing extensive refurbishments, adding facilities such as USB sockets, and we’ve worked with them to ensure the highest levels of accuracy possible. We’ll continue to make updates over time as more of the fleet is refurbished.

Two Northern class 156 units, with the rear unit possessing USB sockets

With Northern’s introduction, we have added a new facility to trains and we’ll now identify trains where you can find USB sockets. We’ll be adding USB sockets to the trains of other operators as necessary in the near future.
Some excellent updates, well done Tom!

alm37

As somebody living in the area served by Northern, this is a fantastic addition. Thank you, Tom!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Really good update - love the graphical representation of the trains. While I am sure the focus here will be on the unit allocation the features for the real world are very helpful for passengers. I also like the way you can hover over the facilities on board and be told what they are.

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Brilliant update for if you have a choice of trains and want to avoid the nasty 150s so thanks from me!

js1000

I've been using the live-departures website for over a year now to check carriage numbers (https://live-departures.info/rail/dppc/manchester-piccadilly) but good to see carriage number information are being made 'official' with RTT. Although I have to say I'm perplexed at why the official National Rail app cannot have this capability to provide real-time information on train type, carriage numbers and onboard facilities for individual services. Maybe in time it will be added as it seems like the next logical step.

35B

Established Member
I've been using the live-departures website for over a year now to check carriage numbers (https://live-departures.info/rail/dppc/manchester-piccadilly) but good to see carriage number information are being made 'official' with RTT. Although I have to say I'm perplexed at why the official National Rail app cannot have this capability to provide real-time information on train type, carriage numbers and onboard facilities for individual services. Maybe in time it will be added as it seems like the next logical step.
I'd not come across that site, but when I looked I couldn't find the vehicle information? What am I missing?

peters

On Moderation
Interestingly it shows you which train is fully accessible.

View attachment 84888

A shame it doesn't show which doors are next to the bike space or toilets, so those with a bike or those who think they may need the toilet can wait on the correct part of the platform. I think the number of carriages could be more useful than Northern's Journey Check site which doesn't always list all the short formations. Although, I think for the average passenger the seating type and arrangement would be the most important consideration.

peters

On Moderation
More importantly, I can now go in search of pacers more easily! (Although I suspect the new restrictions in Manchester prevent me doing so)

Chester to Ashley is still in a level 2 area where there isn't advice against non-essential travel. ;) Although, given one of the Pacers only runs the first Manchester bound service you'd need to get up early in the morning if you want to ride 2 different Pacers on the Mid-Cheshire line.

Tom

Although I have to say I'm perplexed at why the official National Rail app cannot have this capability to provide real-time information on train type, carriage numbers and onboard facilities for individual services. Maybe in time it will be added as it seems like the next logical step.
Train allocations are a really quite complicated and challenging problem even though it sounds like a really simple concept and thing to work on. Darwin, which powers most apps and websites bar RTT and a couple of others, does not really have the support for this kind of information. Its limit is number of coaches, loading values and whether it has a working toilet.
I'd not come across that site, but when I looked I couldn't find the vehicle information? What am I missing?
I thought it was the numbers in the brackets just after the destination.
A shame it doesn't show which doors are next to the bike space or toilets, so those with a bike or those who think they may need the toilet can wait on the correct part of the platform. I think the number of carriages could be more useful than Northern's Journey Check site which doesn't always list all the short formations. Although, I think for the average passenger the seating type and arrangement would be the most important consideration.
It is the intention that the appropriate coach will be shown in due course. However, the quality of the data of the Northern fleet for now meant that would be challenging. The units themselves should be in the order shown, but not necessarily the coaches.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Have to say I'm over the moon with this latest update considering that Northern are my local TOC! LNER has been handy as well to be fair but Northern is really excellent considering the wide range of different trains that they run!!

I think there's an element of confusion here. I rather suspect that @js1000 means carriages numbers as in the number of carriages in a train rather than specific unit identities such as is available on supported operators with RTT.

_toommm_

Established Member
And it’s also been integrated into the RailMiles subscription. I’ve only tested it with Northern but it automagically filled in the unit number.

bramling

Veteran Member
Train allocations are a really quite complicated and challenging problem even though it sounds like a really simple concept and thing to work on. Darwin, which powers most apps and websites bar RTT and a couple of others, does not really have the support for this kind of information. Its limit is number of coaches, loading values and whether it has a working toilet.
I thought it was the numbers in the brackets just after the destination.
It is the intention that the appropriate coach will be shown in due course. However, the quality of the data of the Northern fleet for now meant that would be challenging. The units themselves should be in the order shown, but not necessarily the coaches.

A wonderful development for sure, and certainly useful for making informed decisions about which service to take, given the variations in rolling stock to be found on Northern. I would certainly find it useful to see which way round a unit is oriented, especially for stuff like the 150s where the seating layout doesn’t offer that many seats with a decent window view.

Here’s hoping GTR will be following suit at some point!...

SteveyBee131

Even thought to have included the GC morning hire in, lovely touch!

Not the EMR 153s hired for the Cleethorpes to Barton-on-Humber services yet though. I'm sure it's on the to do list though and I'm not grumbling as it's a brilliant update ;)

Ant158

The 153s seem to be missing off trains on the Clitheroe line today, unless the 156/8 units ran by themselves.

35B

Established Member
Have to say I'm over the moon with this latest update considering that Northern are my local TOC! LNER has been handy as well to be fair but Northern is really excellent considering the wide range of different trains that they run!!

I think there's an element of confusion here. I rather suspect that @js1000 means carriages numbers as in the number of carriages in a train rather than specific unit identities such as is available on supported operators with RTT.
Fair enough, but still confused and not seeing it!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Anyone noticed the little quirk that Class 331 EMUs seem to come up as " Pathed as Electric locomotive, trailing load 331 tonnes at 100mph "? :)

Speaking of 331s, some Blackpool North to Hazel Grove are omitted today. Some others are saying 3-car on RTT but not on Journey Check.

js1000

Correct. Just carriage numbers I used https://live-departures.info/rail/dppc/manchester-piccadilly etc for. Glad to see RTT now has carriage numbers and other additional facilities.