• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

LA50041

Established Member
RTT isn't 100% accurate. On a recent trip to the North West I saw several services that weren't worked by what was indicated on RTT. From 60s on freight to 195s on passenger, wrong info given.

ps GIGO I suspect
Which companies that operate class 60’s show allocations in RTT?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom

Is there a problem with CS and GBRf allocations at the moment? They appear to have been missing for several days.
There was an issue if a passenger vehicle was in the formation, as a result of a change to an upstream feed. This has been noted on the KYT info page for the last few weeks. A fix was made to the feed which required a bit of work on my end... I took the last fortnight off and have now finished that fix. It'll all be working from tomorrow onwards.

I’ve seen this often on RTT, correct headcode will sometimes show before the train runs, when it starts the code is scrambled. Same thing happens on Traksy. Have a look at a yard where engineering trains are due to leave. They show side by side with correct headcodes, then one will start running and the code will then scramble. Happens also when a light engine positions on the end of an engineers train.
Schedules are obfuscated using, predominantly, their two character operator code. If they're operated by ZZ, then there's a second filter that runs based on the train service code. The open data TRUST feed obfuscates using a clearlist of sector and train service codes. You can get situations, such as for Locomotive Services, where 'LS' obviously is not 'ZZ' so is clear... but they're not in the clearlist for TRUST, so they get obfuscated at that point. It's an artefact of the data feeds.

If the feeds work off TRUST/Gemini then it shouldn't be too difficult to allow a public website to use the data especially with a number of operators all working with RTT eg ScotRail, LNER etc...
Not quite as simple as that ... by a long way. A decent amount of paperwork and technical effort has to be done for each and every operator. (TRUST doesn't technically store allocations, btw, it talks to other systems...)

Aictos

Established Member
Not quite as simple as that ... by a long way. A decent amount of paperwork and technical effort has to be done for each and every operator. (TRUST doesn't technically store allocations, btw, it talks to other systems...)

Apologies, I'm aware of what TRUST is capable of doing I was just using it in general terms as to the amount of paperwork and effort could you enlighten the forum to explain how indepth the workload is so we have a understanding of how much effort you put into it?

Chiltern006

any idea the next toc to join kyt? by recent tocs id say GWR or Hull Trains, if not both. Cheers

XAM2175

Established Member
There was an issue if a passenger vehicle was in the formation, as a result of a change to an upstream feed. This has been noted on the KYT info page for the last few weeks. A fix was made to the feed which required a bit of work on my end... I took the last fortnight off and have now finished that fix. It'll all be working from tomorrow onwards.
Splendid, thanks ever so much. I didn't think to check the KYT info page :oops:

Tom

Apologies, I'm aware of what TRUST is capable of doing I was just using it in general terms as to the amount of paperwork and effort could you enlighten the forum to explain how indepth the workload is so we have a understanding of how much effort you put into it?
It depends on the train operator. From the technical perspective, it can be anything from hitting a few buttons to writing a data transmission and integration layer for the operator. The data gets transformed into a common format that caters for all operators so that the inputs are agnostic to operator. The processing infrastructure is designed to be agnostic - the processor just listens to a message queue of train allocations that get thrown at it by other microservices in the architecture.

In terms of paperwork and stuff, can be anything from a couple of emails and meetings through to full legal agreements.

any idea the next toc to join kyt? by recent tocs id say GWR or Hull Trains, if not both. Cheers
Yes, I do know the next one ;)

DavidGrain

Established Member
I know but this one seems extreme!
I note that the train was due to go to Guildford three times. The first time was Guildford UCSH where it is shown arriving but my guess is that it departed through a main platform and the departure time is shown against a later visit.
A list of 'no reports' to me indicates that the train took a different route or missed out a short 'out and back' in order to make up time. I don't know if this is the case here.
Some decisions have to be made by signallers on the ground and this looks to be what happened here. As this is described as a Test, anything can happen.
This train is scheduled to operate today and tomorrow so see what it does tomorrow.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I note that the train was due to go to Guildford three times. The first time was Guildford UCSH where it is shown arriving but my guess is that it departed through a main platform and the departure time is shown against a later visit.
A list of 'no reports' to me indicates that the train took a different route or missed out a short 'out and back' in order to make up time. I don't know if this is the case here.
Some decisions have to be made by signallers on the ground and this looks to be what happened here. As this is described as a Test, anything can happen.
This train is scheduled to operate today and tomorrow so see what it does tomorrow.
Indeed - I live by the route and was curious as to its composition and would have photographed it, but I lost all trace of it! I suspect the same route will produce the same untrackability tomorrow! I don't suppose anyone knows what formed the train?

Veteran Member
I know but this one seems extreme!
Apart from the obvious wrong entry for Guildford, and one at Ascot, it seems to have run the booked route apart from omitting Ascot-Wokingham-Ascot for some reason.

We've had examples of trains apparently going back in time for several stations before now IIRC :)

JN114

Established Member
Apart from the obvious wrong entry for Guildford, and one at Ascot, it seems to have run the booked route apart from omitting Ascot-Wokingham-Ascot for some reason.

The reversing crossover at Wokingham is currently out of use - if you go beyond Ascot towards Reading, you have to go all the way to Reading to get back for the foreseeable.

Deepgreen

Established Member
The reversing crossover at Wokingham is currently out of use - if you go beyond Ascot towards Reading, you have to go all the way to Reading to get back for the foreseeable.
Interesting - thanks. Wonder why that route was planned. Is the crossover OOU owing to a problem, or planned?

JN114

Established Member
Interesting - thanks. Wonder why that route was planned. Is the crossover OOU owing to a problem, or planned?

A problem, a few days ago (Thursday? All the days have blended into one in my head!) - the train in question was probably planned long before then hence why the schedule wasn’t adjusted to account for its unavailability. No timescales for reinstatement, could be a long job.

strimmer

Indeed - I live by the route and was curious as to its composition and would have photographed it, but I lost all trace of it! I suspect the same route will produce the same untrackability tomorrow! I don't suppose anyone knows what formed the train?
I was curious myself and went out to see it, this morning, it was an MPV

On Moderation
A problem, a few days ago (Thursday? All the days have blended into one in my head!) - the train in question was probably planned long before then hence why the schedule wasn’t adjusted to account for its unavailability. No timescales for reinstatement, could be a long job.
So any issues between Wokingham and Reading and it'll be spin everything at Ascot and screw the punters. No hurry for fixing it...

Deepgreen

Established Member
I was curious myself and went out to see it, this morning, it was an MPV
Well, you've saved me some effort tomorrow - thanks!

Sounds intriguing.

gazr

So any issues between Wokingham and Reading and it'll be spin everything at Ascot and screw the punters. No hurry for fixing it...

There's a x/o at Bracknell, although I think this requires someone on site.

On Moderation
There's a x/o at Bracknell, although I think this requires someone on site.
There is, but as you say it needs someone there. Hopefully that will be sorted with the current Feltham area re-signalling.

03_179

Established Member
Just looking at the train I caught on Tuesday to Edinburgh, why does it no longer show the unit number
Yet some of the XC ones still show?

It appears all LNER train allocations have disappeared off RTT after 24 hours.

35B

Established Member
Just looking at the train I caught on Tuesday to Edinburgh, why does it no longer show the unit number
Yet some of the XC ones still show?

It appears all LNER train allocations have disappeared off RTT after 24 hours.
They do - be interesting to know why they’re different from others.

BrettSy96

I noticed that GBRF states the number of the loco but no little pictures however I came across one with a little picture of a 66, it was pictured with a 73 and some sleeper stock, does anyone know if there’s plans to add little pictures to all of the GBRF allocations? I do find them rather cool:D