• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Received MG11 - help! What happens now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ukkid

Well the accusations relate to refunded tickets and short-faring.
So
Have you had tickets refunded for journeys that you have taken?
Have you bought tickets that don't cover the full length of the journey you took?

No one can really advise unless you answer the above two questions.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I just want to pay off everything that I owe and not be taken to court/prison or have any record. I feel physically SICK waiting for the letter to hear if i’m going to be prosecuted.
You won’t be going to prison. Can you provide a bit more information please? Which train company has issued the MG11?

RPI

Established Member
To add, the TOC will be able to obtain your entire booking history with any online retailers and will be able to see all refunds etc

Veteran Member
First, the Penalty Fare (assuming you paid) is over and done with - that's the way it works.
Second, is there an obvious reason (you may not wish to reply in public) why the RPI might have thought you were lying about your journey? For example, is the station you named a long way from your home (or work) address?

ukkid has flagged up the issues, and this phrase
I couldn’t even afford the fare for my full journeys anymore
suggests you might be guilty.

Where does it go from here?
1. A letter asking for your version of events (people here will be happy to help with a reply, provided you are upfront) followed by:
2. You may be offered an out-of-court settlement which will include an administrative element on top of the fares you supposedly avoided.
or 3. You could be prosecuted for a Byelaws offence which doesnt give you a criminal record.
or 4. You might possibly be charged under the Regulation of Railways Act, which would carry a criminal record that is spent after 12 months. My impression - only from years of reading this forum - is that this is the least likely.

Curtains888

Well the accusations relate to refunded tickets and short-faring.
So
Have you had tickets refunded for journeys that you have taken?
Have you bought tickets that don't cover the full length of the journey you took?

No one can really advise unless you answer the above two questions.
Yes to both questions, however I wasn’t aware that my ticket was refunded if it wasn’t collected. and as the station i come from the ticket machine wasn’t always working

You won’t be going to prison. Can you provide a bit more information please? Which train company has issued the MG11?
it was southeastern, all the journeys i took were ONLY to get to and from work.

First, the Penalty Fare (assuming you paid) is over and done with - that's the way it works.
Second, is there an obvious reason (you may not wish to reply in public) why the RPI might have thought you were lying about your journey? For example, is the station you named a long way from your home (or work) address?

ukkid has flagged up the issues, and this phrase

suggests you might be guilty.

Where does it go from here?
1. A letter asking for your version of events (people here will be happy to help with a reply, provided you are upfront) followed by:
2. You may be offered an out-of-court settlement which will include an administrative element on top of the fares you supposedly avoided.
or 3. You could be prosecuted for a Byelaws offence which doesnt give you a criminal record.
or 4. You might possibly be charged under the Regulation of Railways Act, which would carry a criminal record that is spent after 12 months. My impression - only from years of reading this forum - is that this is the least likely.
I’m just praying to go through option 2. I’ve paid any penalty fares I’ve ever had and have no zero criminal history.
I don’t even know if begging to pay the fares I owe and explaining my work situation, numerous cancelled tests, mental illness would even help me or look like pathetic excuses. But I still have documented proof of everything in case.

I’m just really worried about the inspector I dealt with and what he wrote down. Just feeling in the dark about everything and never want to travel by train again.

I’m assuming he thought i was lying was because a lot of people who pay for partial journeys use the station i’m guessing. But i am not 100% sure, it’s only because another inspector was just walking back and forth saying “don’t worry a lot of people do that/you’re not the first one”. That’s when he asked for my ID etc. But he also claimed I was lying about not collecting my ticket too but was proven wrong when i tried to reprint it at the machine for him.

Thank you very much for explaining the possible outcomes. It at least calms me down a bit knowing the options while I wait for the letter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.