• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent DRS new loco tender result for new Class 93 locos

Status
Not open for further replies.

59CosG95

Established Member
Me too. Newish owners G&W have started to rebrand the operation, maybe they’re looking at reducing costs by starting to replace the 86s. There must be a point at which elderly electric locos become more expensive to run than new efficient Electric’s?
Indeed - and they don't have many spare 86s remaining to poach parts from...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Suraggu

Me too. Newish owners G&W have started to rebrand the operation, maybe they’re looking at reducing costs by starting to replace the 86s. There must be a point at which elderly electric locos become more expensive to run than new efficient Electric’s?
Class 86s are owned outright and are still cheap to maintain.

Photohunter71

Wasn't there talk of this TOPS number being used by TRAXX if we ever got some? It's to be specified if there is to be this alleged class 93. I'd bet it would either be TRAXX or Vectron, I don't think Stadler would be ruled out either, although if there's talk of a locomotive design being "Intellectual property of DRS" Then should Stadler supply such a locomotive, it will have to be a different design?

59CosG95

Established Member
Wasn't there talk of this TOPS number being used by TRAXX if we ever got some? It's to be specified if there is to be this alleged class 93. I'd bet it would either be TRAXX or Vectron, I don't think Stadler would be ruled out either, although if there's talk of a locomotive design being "Intellectual property of DRS" Then should Stadler supply such a locomotive, it will have to be a different design?
There was, when TRAXX locos were proposed to replace the 91s; those plans were canned.

Suraggu

Stadler showed off the Euro dual, which is a European gauge bi mode loco with the same prime mover as the class 68, Co-Co bogies etc.
People keep assuring doubters a product is coming....

themiller

Found this spec for a Eurodual configurable hybrid from Stadler. Found the beginning of the info on: http://www.bahnonline.ch/bo/47862/neuer-loc-pool-gegruendet-fokus-auf-hybridloks.htm
Clicked through to:
https://www.europeanlocpool.com/eurodual.html
Also mentioned on the Stadler website: https://www.stadlerrail.com/en/products/
It may be the base for a UK version.
The Smartron is a single (low-cost) version aimed at the German market and if the customer wants more they would be directed to the Vectron.

Photohunter71

Thanks for the links, I had been looking at the Stadler page recently. I have to admit that the EuroDual is a very smart looking machine as is the Vectron, however I can't help but think they have (vectron in particular) borrowed design lines from the class 60,same designers perhaps?

59CosG95

Established Member
Well, nothing announced. So perhaps no proposed class 93?
Things are allegedly still occurring.
From WNXX:
No official word yet on the planned Class 93 although things are understood to be progressing. Some crossing and dotting of Ts and Is outstanding. It has been established though that the planned diesel output will be in the region of 1800HP putting the locomotive into the type three category on diesel power. By comparison the Class 88 is the equivalent of a type one on diesel power.

themiller

But if it is a 'bi-mode', it may be type 5 on electric and just use the diesel engine on longer distance non-electrified track! A sort of development of the use of the class 88s.

GrimShady

Established Member
But if it is a 'bi-mode', it may be type 5 on electric and just use the diesel engine on longer distance non-electrified track! A sort of development of the use of the class 88s.

Probably but if they are type 3 on diesel then expect them to be used on type 3 duties away from the wires. It's more than the last mile capability of the 88.

TBSchenker

One use I can see for a bi-mode locomotive would be for the Sleeper services.

Maybe Great Western as the reliability of the 57s is called into question plenty of times. Thing is, from the limit of eventual electrification (Bristol TM or Newbury), would a Type-3 rated diesel be able to haul however many coaches and supply the ETH all the way to Penzance?

GrimShady

Established Member
One use I can see for a bi-mode locomotive would be for the Sleeper services.

Maybe Great Western as the reliability of the 57s is called into question plenty of times. Thing is, from the limit of eventual electrification (Bristol TM or Newbury), would a Type-3 rated diesel be able to haul however many coaches and supply the ETH all the way to Penzance?

37/4s managed it with the Fort William Sleeper portion which is quite short, 5/6 coaches max?

CosherB

Established Member
Bi-mode will not be used on any sleeper service. GBRf are sorted with the CS for at least the next decade. The NR will likely stay on diesel, with any 'new' traction provided by existing providers e.g. DBC, DRS etc.

GrimShady

Established Member
Can I suggest something that looks like this? One end can be electric and the other diesel or hydrogen.
View attachment 52974
(not my image)

I do often wonder why these types of locos have never caught on in UK, it would certainly make sense with regard to RA, tractive effort, prime mover size. You could even have a last mile engine as a backup to the primary.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I do often wonder why these types of locos have never caught on in UK, it would certainly make sense with regard to RA, tractive effort, prime mover size. You could even have a last mile engine as a backup to the primary.
My intention was a bit more than a puny last mile thing and more like a massive engine or fuel cell in one half.

GrimShady

Established Member
My intention was a bit more than a puny last mile thing and more like a massive engine or fuel cell in one half.

I understand that, my meaning was an Electro-Diesel with a back up diesel. Even a separate engine for high ETH is possible in an Loco that size.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I understand that, my meaning was an Electro-Diesel with a back up diesel. Even a separate engine for high ETH is possible in an Loco that size.
What's the point of putting a last mile mover in a bi-mode loco? In case things go wrong? It just seems like additional expense on what would already be a steep price.

Status
Not open for further replies.