• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent DRS new loco tender result for new Class 93 locos

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_1985

Has anyone heard or read anything about the results from the tender DRS put out seeking 10x new mixed traffic locos...?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CosherB

Established Member
Reported elsewhere online, from a reputable source:

It has been confirmed that the forthcoming Class 93s will look similar to the Class 88s currently in use with DRS. Design specifications and which operators are planning to use them should become known in September (InnoTrans 2018).

jimm

Established Member
Reported elsewhere online, from a reputable source:

It has been confirmed that the forthcoming Class 93s will look similar to the Class 88s currently in use with DRS. Design specifications and which operators are planning to use them should become known in September (InnoTrans 2018).

Same question as above, plus where online does this come from and who/what is the reputable source?

Is there something stopping you providing such basic information?

USRailFan

Well, there aren't THAT many operators around in need of electrics? Freightliner, possibly? Although they might be more interested in Anglia's Class 90s to mainatain fleet commonality?

Suraggu

Stadler to announce the project officially at Innotrans in Berlin later in September. The internals of the locomotive can be customised to the customers needs so a modular based design sounds pretty much a given.

No other specifics have been mentioned except a Tri Mode, That could be AC Overhead/Diesel/Battery as one would expect on the continent or multi voltage/Bi Mode 25Kv AC/750v DC/Diesel.

mullac30

Stadler to announce the project officially at Innotrans in Berlin later in September. The internals of the locomotive can be customised to the customers needs so a modular based design sounds pretty much a given.

No other specifics have been mentioned except a Tri Mode, That could be AC Overhead/Diesel/Battery as one would expect on the continent or multi voltage/Bi Mode 25Kv AC/750v DC/Diesel.
Sounds like it could be a 125mph bi-mode locomotive for the new franchise bids like Crosscountry for hauling Mk5s?

Suraggu

Sounds like it could be a 125mph bi-mode locomotive for the new franchise bids like Crosscountry for hauling Mk5s?
I wouldn't know about that, all I know is that it's going to be a modular design internally which allows customers to choose what they want and DRS do not get a premium payment like they do of any other TOC/FOC order Class 68/88.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
As far as I can see, the CrossCountry speculation has no evidence. Is it not just possible that they will be used on mixed freight?

USRailFan

As far as I can see, the CrossCountry speculation has no evidence. Is it not just possible that they will be used on mixed freight?

My first thought was that this could be Freightliner's replacement for the Class 86 (if they don't go for Anglia's Class 90s)

Skymonster

Established Member

59CosG95

Established Member
Not sure the two are necessarily connected. According to the linked article the potential DRS requirement is for is a mixed-traffic diesel, whereas Class 93 implies predominantly electric power. Besides, the article also says DRS will make a decision by March next year while first orders for the 93 are expected in September.
Indeed; earlier hints from WNXX said that "a freight operator who moves boxes" is interested...so all that rules out is Colas, Aggregate Industries & ROG.
Freightliner and DBC seem like the most likely bets.
It's worth mentioning that Siemens have just announced the "Vectron Dual Mode" for Innotrans, and that they've made custom versions of their Vectrons for Finland (winterised, with Finnish running gauge)...DBC might opt for German pedigree in that sense.

My bets are on Freightliner.

Journeyman

Established Member
It's worth mentioning that Siemens have just announced the "Vectron Dual Mode" for Innotrans, and that they've made custom versions of their Vectrons for Finland (winterised, with Finnish running gauge)...DBC might opt for German pedigree in that sense.

The Vectron loco always makes me think of this, for some reason...

Suraggu

Indeed; earlier hints from WNXX said that "a freight operator who moves boxes" is interested...so all that rules out is Colas, Aggregate Industries & ROG.
Freightliner and DBC seem like the most likely bets.

Freightliner, DRS, DBC and GB Railfreight all move boxes.

TBSchenker

My bets are on Freightliner

Me too. Newish owners G&W have started to rebrand the operation, maybe they’re looking at reducing costs by starting to replace the 86s. There must be a point at which elderly electric locos become more expensive to run than new efficient Electric’s?

Status
Not open for further replies.