• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent Jubilee Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnym70

There seems to have been some recent changes to the Jubilee line services which I'm curious about.

Notably, platform 13 at Stratford is now closed during most of the day. I read somewhere that this helps prevent conflicting moves in the station throat which I completely understand.

However, travelling Eastbound, there now seems to be a lot more North Greenwich terminating services which I suspect is part of the change and helps mitigate for the loss of a platform at Stratford.

But, this does make services between Canary Wharf and Stratford a lot busier (North Greenwich terminators suggest passengers get off at Canary Wharf to save them negotiating two escalators for a platform change at North Greenwich)

Is this a trial? Or is this what to expect from now?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There isn’t really anything in it; in fact there are fewer as generally all trains at offpeak hours and weekends travel through to Stratford rather than terminate at North Greenwich.

Train Operators now step back trains are Stratford for the majority of the day; this is how/why the service now only uses the island platform; platform 13 hasn’t been “lost” - it is still technically avaliable for service.

It’s a new timetable; not a “trial.”

codesam

I believe this is all part of the new timetable introduced on May 20th (WTT15).

Seemed to ruffle a few feathers, RMT and ALSEF have successfully balloted for several strikes, though none have actually taken place as of yet (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44198403)

The full timetable is here if you fancy a bit of bedtime reading http://content.tfl.gov.uk/wtt-15-jubilee-20-may-2018.pdf

The key bit being;

During off peak periods and Saturdays and Sundays all trains will now generally operate to/from Stratford.
Stepping back at Stratford will now take place every day via platforms 14 and 15 only from 07.19 until 22.57½ (Mondays to Fridays), from 08.01½ until 22.57½ (Saturdays) and from 09.44½ until 19.40¾ (Sundays). During these periods platform 13 will be closed.
In consequence, one less train is required for off-peak service and will be stabled in Stratford Market Depot.
So some early and late trains will use platform 13 still. I haven't noticed a larger number of North Greenwich terminators. Though I commute home to Liverpool Street -> Stratford -> Canning Town and I must say it's made the crowds notably worse. As soon as one train load is clearing from the 14/15 island another has come in so you're pushing through the crowd. I generally avoid stressful traveling so would often take the 2nd or 3rd train, either there was an empty one on plt13 with a 4-5 minute wait, or 14/15 would be mostly clear with the next train coming into 13. However I'm not sure me being slightly perturbed about crowds should influence strategic decisions on how our transport works.

vinnym70

Thanks all for the replies.

I'm not quite sure I'm convinced. I'm normally travelling Canary Wharf - Stratford a few times a week around 3:15-3:30pm and there's definitely a change of late. In the not-too-recent past it would be an occasional pain to find a North Greenwich terminator but now on three separate occasions the departure board has shown two out of three trains as terminating at North Greenwich. The added load of disembarking passengers at an already busy station isn't pleasant and leads to overcrowded services into Stratford even at that time of day.

Agreed that lack of platform 13 operating at Stratford makes using platforms 14 and 15 more arduous just by more intensive use of both platforms.

codesam

Thanks all for the replies.

I'm not quite sure I'm convinced. I'm normally travelling Canary Wharf - Stratford a few times a week around 3:15-3:30pm and there's definitely a change of late. In the not-too-recent past it would be an occasional pain to find a North Greenwich terminator but now on three separate occasions the departure board has shown two out of three trains as terminating at North Greenwich. The added load of disembarking passengers at an already busy station isn't pleasant and leads to overcrowded services into Stratford even at that time of day.

Agreed that lack of platform 13 operating at Stratford makes using platforms 14 and 15 more arduous just by more intensive use of both platforms.

Interesting, Wikipedia (known for it's absolute and unfaltering accuracy in all cases ;)) suggests at peak it's 6tph (trains-per-hour) North Greenwich – Stanmore during peak and 4tph off peak, which would imply a NG terminator every 10 mins peak and 15 mins off peak. I'm not sure how strictly they stick to the WTT or if it's more flexible but having 2 of 3 trains to NG would seem odd. Though I do agree the trains Canning Town -> Stratford are often busy even off peak.

Based on the WTT for Monday-Thursday there are NG terminators leaving Canary Wharf at 1504, 1514, 1529, 1544 and 1554 so not exactly every 10 mins but close enough.

Looking at WTT14 which was the old timetable (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/requ.../attach/3/WTT Jub 14.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1) for the same period I see 1504, 1514, 1529, 1544, 1554 which suggests it should be exactly the same.

Though in saying all that I've also had to wait 8 minutes for a train Canning Town westbound at 1030 the other day so anything could happen.

What was the discrepancy between the unions and management about?

From the BBC article

Aslef official Finn Brennan said the the new rosters increased the number of Saturdays drivers have to work, breaking a previous arrangement made during a 2015/16 pay agreement.

The trick to avoid the 'herds of commuters' is to walk along platform 13 (which is not physically closed), and make use of the overbridge to access 14 & 15.

I also think TfL could do with removing the glass sections at the entrance to platforms 14&15 which prevent full width use of the platform entrance (between the platforms and the lone ticket machine).

Cesarcollie

The trick to avoid the 'herds of commuters' is to walk along platform 13 (which is not physically closed), and make use of the overbridge to access 14 & 15.

I also think TfL could do with removing the glass sections at the entrance to platforms 14&15 which prevent full width use of the platform entrance (between the platforms and the lone ticket machine).

Not to mention installing a few more Oyster validators - the only one currently is on the wall where the ticket office was!!

vinnym70

Still not 100% convinced the Jubilee service is unchanged at the times I noted. I might *just* get to provide photographic evidence from the PIS that I'm right at some point but based on my recent experiences I'm now using the DLR in preference. Journey times aren't much worse vs Jubliee and I'm never in a hurry (it feels a LOT slower but it really isn't!)

LU_timetabler

Still not 100% convinced the Jubilee service is unchanged at the times I noted. I might *just* get to provide photographic evidence from the PIS that I'm right at some point but based on my recent experiences I'm now using the DLR in preference. Journey times aren't much worse vs Jubliee and I'm never in a hurry (it feels a LOT slower but it really isn't!)
Don't forget - although that part of the timetable may not have changed, the corrective action to restore normal timetable for the about to be peak service, may be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.