• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recommend me a camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temple Meads

Established Member
OK, I'm hopefully going to be able to buy a slightly better camera, I won't be able to spend more than £75 (unless there's something great at a discounted price for a little more), what I want is something with a decent quality particularly for night shots without flash, it needs to have a video function, basically it needs to beat a 6mp £25 Technika DSC5M (well done if you've heard of it).

I don't really want "oh you'll never get anything good for that money" type comments, just a good recommendation, if you've come across something bad tell me as well so I can steer clear.

Regards

Tim

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Sorry, a few quid over your budget (£106.69 at the time of posting), but I have used an earlier model Canon Ixus for years and they are very good. Simple to use but with a good selection of options and a fast response speed. All my earlier rail photography was with one of these and it has survived even heavy rain storms in the Carpathians.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004M8S21K/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&psc=1

dangie

...I don't really want "oh you'll never get anything good for that money" type comments, just a good recommendation. Tim
Well unfortunately Tim that's possibly true for the type of pictures you want eg night shots without flash. You really need a camera that lets you set a long exposure speed along with a low ISO setting to avoid electronic noise. Most 'budget' models don't have this facility. However for the money you wish to spend these may be worth a look. Perhaps after Christmas if you can spend a litte more there may be more suitable models available.
Best Wishes
Dave

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/82641/show.html
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/81267/show.html

Established Member
It's a very good camera, and the best thing is that you can change the aperture and shutter speed settings manually if you want, although the pre-programmed mode is very good. Normally use it when I don't want to carry around the bulk of the SLR, but still want to get a decent photo.

The SX130 isn't the most recent, (think it is the SX150) but I had the one before the 130 and it was basically just about the same.

allticketspls

Shame you can't go a bit higher price wise as I have just got a superb deal at PC World on a Fuji Finepix S3400.

14MP, 28x Optical Zoom, 720p HD Video Recording, 17 scene modes, HDMI connectivity and even more. Weighs 540g with batteries and boots up bloody quick.

Was £329.99 now £169.99 plus 10% extra discount if you buy online taking it down to £152.00 with Free Delivery.

The PC World link is here

deltic1989

Established Member
I borrowed my mates HP CB350 a couple of weeks ago while my camera was being repaired. it was a good little camera. Didd'nt do any night shots so i cant really comment on that but still good for the money he paid (around £50 iirc). If you are'nt too fussed regarding the camera being 'brand new' you can pick up some very good cameras for peanuts at places like CEX (though avoid cash converters as I've heard of people having bad experiences with 'hot' goods from there).

Temple Meads

Established Member
It's a very good camera, and the best thing is that you can change the aperture and shutter speed settings manually if you want, although the pre-programmed mode is very good. Normally use it when I don't want to carry around the bulk of the SLR, but still want to get a decent photo.

The SX130 isn't the most recent, (think it is the SX150) but I had the one before the 130 and it was basically just about the same.

Would you be able to put up some of the pictures you've taken with yours?

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.