• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recommend me a good London pub right by the Thames!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Got a day off next week and want to spend an hour or four sat with a pint overlooking the Thames.
Short research has come up with the Bell and Crown near Kew station which ticks all the boxes (garden overlooking the river, near a station witin the Oyster zone) but I'm sure locals can find me something better!
Fire away...(NB cost of a pint irrellevant as long as it's not stupid, but real-ale could clinch it).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nlogax

Established Member
The White Hart, just up from Barnes Bridge station. You'll pay £zillions for a pint but it's a nice enough riverside retreat. The Ship is also decent..a bit further along towards Chiswick Bridge if you fancy a stroll.

Howardh

Established Member
Quick question - the original pub on the list would require overland from Euston to Gunnersbury via Willsden - contactless/Oyster OK for that??

Last edited by a moderator:

Howardh

Established Member
The White Hart, just up from Barnes Bridge station. You'll pay £zillions for a pint but it's a nice enough riverside retreat. The Ship is also decent..a bit further along towards Chiswick Bridge if you fancy a stroll.
White Hart, thanks, that's a good shout, bit nearer (however northerly aspect if there's any late afternoon sun!!)
Looking at their webby looks you can take your drinks right to the shore.

Howardh

Established Member
being serious: Blue Anchor at Hammersmith? Old Ship Hammersmith?
Yup; Old Ship looks a bit tight for space on the terrace although they show only part of it??
The Crab Tree further south looks OK but is it right by the river (gallery doesn't show but th emap does...)

nlogax

Established Member
White Hart, thanks, that's a good shout, bit nearer (however northerly aspect if there's any late afternoon sun!!)
Looking at their webby looks you can take your drinks right to the shore.

You can indeed. Depending on tide you could get your feet wet whilst you sup!

being serious: Blue Anchor at Hammersmith? Old Ship Hammersmith?

Or The Dove. That's a lovely little place.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yup; Old Ship looks a bit tight for space on the terrace although they show only part of it??

A while since I have been but I am sure ( warning: drink involved here) that it was OK during the day. Might be snug of an evening mind.

Howardh

Established Member
You can indeed. Depending on tide you could get your feet wet whilst you sup!
Attaboy!

Note; I will be a little tight for time so prefer to be as close to a tube/rail station as possible

Howardh

Established Member
Think the White Hart's winning at the mo, like the access to the river, closeness to Barnes Bridge and if there's any setting sun should be good sat outside watching it.

Euston - Waterloo - Barnes Bridge; all OK with Oyster/Contactless?? Would I have to tap pink at Waterloo??

gordonthemoron

Established Member
The Angel, 101 Bermondsey Wall E, London SE16 4NB. Equidistant from Bermondsey tube station and Rotherhithe Overground station. Nearby Mayflower is reasonable too. The Angel is a Sam Smiths pub and a very niceley maintained 18/19th Century building

nlogax

Established Member
Think the White Hart's winning at the mo, like the access to the river, closeness to Barnes Bridge and if there's any setting sun should be good sat outside watching it.

Euston - Waterloo - Barnes Bridge; all OK with Oyster/Contactless?? Would I have to tap pink at Waterloo??

Fine choice ;) Yep, you're all good with Oyster & contactless from Euston to BB. No pink reader at Waterloo that I recall!

Howardh

Established Member
Fine choice ;) Yep, you're all good with Oyster & contactless from Euston to BB. No pink reader at Waterloo that I recall!
Let's hope it's a nice day, if it's tipping it down then the plan will have to change (grrr).

Howardh

Established Member
The Angel, 101 Bermondsey Wall E, London SE16 4NB. Equidistant from Bermondsey tube station and Rotherhithe Overground station. Nearby Mayflower is reasonable too. The Angel is a Sam Smiths pub and a very niceley maintained 18/19th Century building
Sit on the pebbly beach while the tide's out! Think I'll save that for a day visiting the east of London, would really rather go west as my last few visits have been that eastern side (Stratford/Docklands etc).

IanD

Established Member
The Cutty Sark at Greenwich has an outside terrace plus the views from the upstairs rooms are great if the weather is not so kind.

Here's a mini pub crawl, less than 1/3 mile from start to finish.The Rocket by Putney Bridge is not exactly a lovely pub (modern 'Spoons) but the outside seating offers fine views. Plus the Boathouse next door and the Star and Garter on the same bank but the other side of the bridge and the Dukes Head.

Similiar thing in Hammersmith linking the pubs mentioned by DarloRich and nlogax (just a bit of a longer walk) starting at the Blue Anchor and heading West via the Rutland Arms to the Dove then the Old Ship or vv.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Founders Arms, Right on the river by Tate Modern

steve_brown

Founders Arms, Right on the river by Tate Modern

Seconded. Also the Cutty Sark as mentioned above, and there's another couple in Greenwich too.

There's a few along the river in Wapping and Limehouse, of which The Grapes on Narrow Street would be my pick.

Also the Mayflower in Bermondsey and the Gun on Coldharbour/Blackwall.

ComUtoR

Established Member
@Howardh

Where do you plan to be before or after ? Are you planning your day around the pub or your day trip ?

IanD

Established Member
Seconded. Also the Cutty Sark as mentioned above, and there's another couple in Greenwich too.

There's a few along the river in Wapping and Limehouse, of which The Grapes on Narrow Street would be my pick.

Also the Mayflower in Bermondsey and the Gun on Coldharbour/Blackwall.

The Grapes and Mayflower are both excellent but good luck getting a seat on the outside bits.

Prospect of Whitby at Wapping is also good but suffers from the a same lack of outside, river view seating.

Howardh

Established Member
@Howardh

Where do you plan to be before or after ? Are you planning your day around the pub or your day trip ?
Good question. It's a first-class pleasure ride from Manc to London, back the same day with 4 hrs in London. Not seen the Thames anywhere west of Putney for donkey's years so a train/tube with a little walk and a couple in a pub watching the world go by sounds ideal before returning!
Reason - got the railcard and it won't use itself!!

Note to everyone, thanks for the recommendations east of town, won't be going there this time but will keep them bookmarked for the next trip; maybe West Ham v Chorley in the third round....

ComUtoR

Established Member
Grab a river cruise. There are a few options you could take and even if you wanted to avoid the touristy thing you could grab a clipper and head to Greenwich and take in the planetarium and the pub recommended there.

River cruise might be nice and you can have a few bevvies on board.

greyman42

Established Member
If the weather is bad there is 'The Banker' which is almost under Cannon Street station. The pub has a conservatory which hangs out over the Thames. If you go between dinner time and the peak it is not to busy. The beer is Fullers so not to bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.