• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recommend me a good London pub right by the Thames!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprunt

The Angel, 101 Bermondsey Wall E, London SE16 4NB. Equidistant from Bermondsey tube station and Rotherhithe Overground station. Nearby Mayflower is reasonable too. The Angel is a Sam Smiths pub and a very niceley maintained 18/19th Century building

Is that the one that's over the road from a ruined palace (occupied by one of the early Edwards IIRC)? If so, I was going to suggest that (although the OP wants west, so for next time maybe.)

Founders Arms, Right on the river by Tate Modern

The last time I was there I was amazed by how (relatively, this is London after all) cheap the drinks were - given the tourist central location I'd expected them to really jack the prices up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Is that the one that's over the road from a ruined palace (occupied by one of the early Edwards IIRC)? If so, I was going to suggest that (although the OP wants west, so for next time maybe.)

Yes, that's the one, not as touristy as the Mayflower. The Ship nearby is quite nice too but not actually on the river

Howardh

Established Member
OK, if time permits I'm gonna try to do two (oh, the hardship) - White Hart and then see if I can get to another recommended nearby, so some mapwork to do. Probably end up with 2 - 2.5 hrs!

IanD

Established Member
OK, if time permits I'm gonna try to do two (oh, the hardship) - White Hart and then see if I can get to another recommended nearby, so some mapwork to do. Probably end up with 2 - 2.5 hrs!

Just 2 pubs? You've got 2.5 hours!

Howardh

Established Member
Just 2 pubs? You've got 2.5 hours!
Good point!

EDIT - just done the itinery and allowing to be back at Euston with 20' to spare I get under 2 hours (White Hart) so not much chance of a crawl unless there are other pubs on the same stretch. Might manage my original choice (Bell and Crown/Kew) and then down to the White Hart/Barnes Bridge as it's on the line back to Euston (X @ Vauxhall) which is easily doable assuming my train into London is on time.

If it's throwing it down I'll stick to central London and re-introduce myself to de Hems and (is it?) and the John Snow in or around Soho.

But anyway I have a plan and somewhere new to see - thanks guys/esses!!

Glad to see the National Rail personal planner includes the tube, very helpful.
Euston > Vauxhall > Barnes Bridge or Kew Bridge and return.

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Founders Arms, Right on the river by Tate Modern

I was there yesterday for lunch, it was very good indeed. Such a Buzz down there. The Doggetts near by as also mentioned above is good too. Both really handy too for Blackfriars Railway Station south side.

Howardh

Established Member
Best laid plans and all that, stuck on the 1335 at Piccadilly with several faults, the train not me. Ah, well, if we make it its central London and make the best of it. And as I write we move. See if time gets caught up.

Status
Not open for further replies.