• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recommended places to visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson

A while back I managed to get a couple of those 25p singles off Chiltern's website for a return trip from London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street for Saturday 26th May. (It's not quite a post-exam celebration now as I'm doing accompaniment work for someone else's performance recital the following week, but it's as close as it gets, and it was the last day those tickets were available for!) I'm booked on the 0930 out (1117 arrival) and the 1755 return. Amounting to a fair few hours in Birmingham.

I might also like to tie it in with a half-price London Midland promo return to somewhere like Shrewsbury (for example). My question is, does anyone have any recommendations as to particularly nice places up there/interesting things to do? Not knowing much of the local area myself (I've spent some time in Worcester, Birmingham and I've done part of the Cannock Chase trail, but other than that not a lot)...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If you go to Shrewsbury, walk from the station down to the River Severn, through the large grassed open area called The Quarry which has a high quality enclosed garden. There are boat trips available on the river.

Not far from the railway station is Shrewsbury Castle, which houses the Shropshire Regimental Museum and on Abbey Foregate, you will find Shrewsbury Abbey (which lent its name to a now defunct railway station).

A while back I managed to get a couple of those 25p singles off Chiltern's website for a return trip from London Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street for Saturday 26th May. (It's not quite a post-exam celebration now as I'm doing accompaniment work for someone else's performance recital the following week, but it's as close as it gets, and it was the last day those tickets were available for!) I'm booked on the 0930 out (1117 arrival) and the 1755 return. Amounting to a fair few hours in Birmingham.

I might also like to tie it in with a half-price London Midland promo return to somewhere like Shrewsbury (for example). My question is, does anyone have any recommendations as to particularly nice places up there/interesting things to do? Not knowing much of the local area myself (I've spent some time in Worcester, Birmingham and I've done part of the Cannock Chase trail, but other than that not a lot)...

I "googled" Shrewsbury and came up with this - might be useful:-
http://www.attractions.walesdirectory.co.uk/Shrewsbury_Map.htm

I have never been to Shrewsbury: so cannot vouch for any of these attractions.

Crossover

Established Member
Shrewsbury station itself can be an interesting place in itself as it has quite a lot of semaphore signals and a relatively complex junction controlled manually, though there aren't a huge a number of workings through the station.

That's as far as it goes from me though as the only times I have been to Shrewsbury, I have never got further than the station!

chris89

Established Member
I also do recommend Shrewsbury as well. I haven't been there for a while though sadly.

If you have the Time i would suggest going via Kidderminster and The Severn Valley Railway. To any of the stops. Bridgnorth by its self is a very nice town.

Chris

Ascot

Established Member
I echo the Severn Valley Railway. Get the train from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth for lunch and a walk through the low-town. Then get the train to Country Park on a nice day and walk along the river to Highley before having a look at the Engine House. Then get the train to Arley to stop off at the pub for a drink overlooking the river and village before finally getting the train back to Kidderminster.

OR

Stratford Upon Avon along the river & the touristy stuff with a pub meal at Henley-in-Arden.

martinsh

Established Member
Pub crawl in the Black Country !

Old Swan (Ma Pardoe's), Netherton
Vine / Bull & Bladder, Brierley Hill
Beacon Hotel, Sedgley
Great Western, Wolverhampton !

---------------------------------

or the Black Country Living Museum in Dudley ...

chris89

Established Member
I echo the Severn Valley Railway. Get the train from Kidderminster to Bridgnorth for lunch and a walk through the low-town. Then get the train to Country Park on a nice day and walk along the river to Highley before having a look at the Engine House. Then get the train to Arley to stop off at the pub for a drink overlooking the river and village before finally getting the train back to Kidderminster.

OR

Stratford Upon Avon along the river & the touristy stuff with a pub meal at Henley-in-Arden.

Good to hear someone else does :D I will suggest no matter what since i live local to it.

Bridgnorth (High Town) is fantastic honestly, Low town has a few very nice pubs that do food and of course the Cliff Railway.

Highley is worth it for the Engine house, where most of our other stock is now housed under cover.

Chris

Robinson

Paul, I assume you are referring to the Sabrina boat from Victoria Quay? I must admit that looks like an attractive option.

Ascot - nice idea; mind if I save it for when I have the time to do it?! I'll find it tough to fit all that in this time as the promo singles are only valid on the booked trains I mentioned (alas)...

lemonic

Don't forget if you want to take advantage of the LM sale you have until midnight tomorrow (Bank Holiday Monday the 7th) to book!

Robinson

I got a ticket booked in time; I went for Shrewsbury in the end. Thanks for the advice; hopefully I'll have another chance to do the Severn Valley (with enough time to spend exploring it)...

Status
Not open for further replies.