• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Record Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainBoy98

Hi, I am attempting to beat the world record for travelling through ALL london underground stations in the aid of charity but i need some help; First, does anyone know the current record/rules? Second, me and my team dont know what charity to back any ideas? And finally, can any one help us plan the route/timings so we can beat the record?

Many Thanks, TrainBoy and Team.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This website should help you, this guy has done the challenge several times;
http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/rules.html

You need to think about this very carefully. It isn't a walk in the park from what I gather, and to do it in a record time your planning needs to be spot on, and then you're in the hands of LU as to whether you have a smooth ride or are affected by delays etc.

Lots of rail tours and other events in the UK are run on behalf of the Railway Children charity - http://www.railwaychildren.org.uk/.

GuyBarry

You might also look at the Tube Challenge forum here:

http://www.tubeforum.co.uk

Be warned - most Tube challengers are very protective of their routes and don't tend to give much information away!

From what I can gather, it's only currently possible to complete the challenge on certain days of the year - specifically weekdays when there's a major exhibition at Olympia. This is because certain stations are closed at weekends, making a weekend attempt impossible, but the branch to Olympia is now only open at weekends and during major exhibitions. There's quite a long thread on it on the forum - Guinness World Records are quite particular about the rules for the challenge so it's best to get the facts right.

I gather you need to be pretty fit as well as there seems to be a lot of running involved, especially between termini. The rules say you're allowed to use public transport but it often ends up being quicker to run at least part of the way.

I must stress that I've never done it myself but find the attempts of others fascinating! Good luck if you do decide to do it.

TrainBoy98

Yeah, i attempted it before but i was EXTREAMLY under prepared! Also, im guessing that it is only LU lines not DLR/Overground too?

Ivo

Established Member
I can't really help you much because I have two friends who are former record holders for the Tube Challenge; I myself jointly held the DLR record (with one of the two) for a brief period in September.

What I will say though is this...

The tube Challenge site is your friend here, but as others have said they won't give away much in terms of planning. NR etc are permitted but the goal is to visit every station on LUL, so as far as I know you have to call at each station on an LU service (so Chiltern at Amersham wouldn't count). Using the DLR and LOROL is of course allowed but again they count separately.

Try to find an ideal start and finish point (two from Upminster, Epping, Heathrow and Amersham/Chesham are the usual choices) and plan to join up separate routes by bus or on foot (e.g. Cockfosters to High Barnet).

As I said, I can't really say anything else, to protect my friends' interests (one of them wants me to do the Challenge with him later this year), but realistically anything above 18h isn't going to be a threat.

-------------

Regarding charities, find some that mean something to you. That is the best advice I can give.

NY Yankee

This video may help:

[youtube]BvCQte1jM1Q[/youtube]

I haven't been on the Tube (yet). I can offer general advice like planning your bathroom breaks ahead of time and knowing the closest staircases and lifts to the way out, especially if you are changing trains.

Ivo

Established Member
I can offer general advice like planning your bathroom breaks ahead of time and knowing the closest staircases and lifts to the way out, especially if you are changing trains.

Two hints here:

(1) Take tablets. This isn't my advice; this comes from previous challengers...
(2) Plan in advance so you know the best doors etc, and if you have a smartphone download an app to help you!

TrainBoy98

What tablets?
Thanks for the help!
Oh, do you know the names of the apps as I'm on iPhone now?

Ivo

Established Member
I'm sorry to say that I can't help with either. I don't know which tablets (ones that make you need the toilet less???); neither do I know the App's name.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I'm sorry to say that I can't help with either. I don't know which tablets (ones that make you need the toilet less???); neither do I know the App's name.

Immodium is the brand name. Can't remember the actual name.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Might be an idea to contact LUL as well. They might not help you much but if they know about what you are doing they may not hinder you, which they could well do if you are chasing about on the system without their knowledge.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Given how hard it is just completing the course, for a first attempt that's possibly what your target should be- complete the course. Be realistic. That way, not breaking the record won't feel like failure; but hey, if you did, it would be a bonus.

GuyBarry

NR etc are permitted but the goal is to visit every station on LUL, so as far as I know you have to call at each station on an LU service (so Chiltern at Amersham wouldn't count).

Not quite true. The official Guinness rules say: "To `visit' a station, the challenger must arrive and/or depart by an underground train in normal public service, but where a service is shared by underground and British Rail trains travelling over the same tracks it is permissible to use the National Rail trains."

The "same tracks" rule is the important one here.

Dstock7080

Established Member
The "same tracks" rule is the important one here.
Which makes the use of the District Line to/from Olympia an important part of the overal planning.

As a small example, there was utter confusion on the Line last week when staff at train crew depots, Baker Street control room and station staff did not realise that the Olympias had been booked to work (by duty schedules) on Wedsnesday and Thursday with no forward information.
The advance information to staff/passengers about whether the service is running/or not is very poor.

TrainBoy98

I think that will be one of the biggest problems as i would love to do it during the week but Olypmia closed so i thopught weekend then but cannon street is closed! Does that mean i would have to do it on a specific day so that there is an event on in olympia so that i can get there and cannon street?

GuyBarry

I think that will be one of the biggest problems as i would love to do it during the week but Olypmia closed so i thopught weekend then but cannon street is closed! Does that mean i would have to do it on a specific day so that there is an event on in olympia so that i can get there and cannon street?

As far as I know, yes, but why not post your questions on the www.tubeforum.co.uk site? The people there are very experienced and can give you far more definitive answers than I can. Just don't expect them to help you with specific route information!

tsr

Established Member
Might be an idea to contact LUL as well. They might not help you much but if they know about what you are doing they may not hinder you, which they could well do if you are chasing about on the system without their knowledge.

Given the tearing hurry at least half of London's population happens to be in at any given moment in time, I think it's unlikely they'll try to stop you for just running around. Obviously, if someone watching the CCTV notices you using all the back staircases, you might get spoken to, but they're used to all sorts of unusual things.

TrainBoy98

Thanks for all your help, i have a trial route so im gonna test it in june
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just wordering whether anyone knows any cheap b&bs in Amersham/upminster?

Ivo

Established Member
Why is the Waterloo and City line not included?

The W&C is included, but its use is discouraged because of its express nature. Why use it when you will need to pass through both Bank and Waterloo at some other stage anyway, especially considering you may well change to a different route at one or both anyway?

GuyBarry

The record is for the fastest time travelling the entire London Underground system.

The record is for the fastest time to travel through all stations, not all lines. Since there are no intermediate stations on the Waterloo and City line, there is never any need to use it. The use of the line is not forbidden but it would serve no purpose under the rules of the Challenge.

The (SW Trains) Waterloo and City line, the (West Anglia) Finsbury Park to Moorgate line, East
London line and the Docklands Light Railway are not included in this attempt.

This is presumably a quote from the Guinness rules, dated 18 July 2009, when the East London line was no longer part of the Underground (it closed in 2007 and reopened as part of the Overground in 2010), so they were correct to exclude it. I must admit that the comments about the Waterloo and City line are baffling, though - why mention it at all?

Last edited:

londonbridge

Established Member
Something I've often wondered,are there equivalent challenges/records for other networks such as the Tyne n Wear Metro?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Thanks for everyones help concerning this, im going to attempt it on saturday...

Good luck - you may want to look at the Olympic Torch timings to avoid visiting the areas that will be in at the same time - LU are expecting some very busy stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.