• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Records & Statistics

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPEwannabe

Hi everyone, hope you are all staying safe.

I will shortly begin a career as a trainee driver, once we are all allowed back to work.

I am new to the industry and was thinking that it would be a nice idea to keep an ongoing record of some description throughout my career, a little like a footballer might keep a record of goalS scored or red cards.

Does anyone keep any stats/statistics or wish they had done?

Although I’ll be employed as a driver, I’m more than happy to hear from anyone working on the railway on their thoughts.

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red1980

Not really.

The only numbers I'm interested in is keeping the incident count to zero when I'm at work and the days until I retire.

There's one thing you don't want to be on the railway and that's a statistic.

There are some that keep tabs on the traction they drive/have driven though I believe.

Last edited:

LCC106

Established Member
At first you’ll need to keep records of what you’ve driven during training. There are some who note down guards they’ve worked with and any peculiarities and out of course working. Some must be an interesting read several years down the line eg collided with a trampoline, cleared a tree off the line etc.

Undiscovered

Do drivers get journals?
I write down my diagram, headcode, unit number(s), working cab, start/end station and journey start time.
I'll note delays at signals and anything odd or unusual, interactions with passengers, longer than usual dwells and if I speak to control or signaller, I'll note that too. Even in my short career, I've got 4 books, detailing all my workings.

Can be useful when coming back from long weekend to a 'please explain...', youve a chance of remembering what they're on about!

TPEwannabe

Thanks for your replies so far.
I suppose that I was just wondering whether it might be a nice idea to make a record of units driven/stations visited etc...

LCC106

Established Member
Nothing to stop you keeping those stats if you want TPEwannabe. We had learning journals that are kept on file for evidence if needed by the powers that be. Otherwise no, I make notes of red signals/out of course stuff for please explain notes.

Aivilo

Some people keep loads or records, some don't bother at all.

I would genuinely advise you to put everything into your training and not even worry about your first two years out on your own.

As a side a diary can be useful. I've always kept a book that I'll put date/time head codes leading car numbers and records of anything significant for that trip. If anything ever does arise even non fault it's good to reference back to

choochoochoo

Established Member
Some people keep loads or records, some don't bother at all.

I would genuinely advise you to put everything into your training and not even worry about your first two years out on your own.

As a side a diary can be useful. I've always kept a book that I'll put date/time head codes leading car numbers and records of anything significant for that trip. If anything ever does arise even non fault it's good to reference back to

That's a very diligent way of doing it - I scrawl notes on my diagram for that same purpose.

Aivilo

It's become a habit now as my first at my first toc many moons ago our diagrams were repurposed and it's not environmentally friendly to print off a spare every shift.

I do jot down information on my diagrams. The diary simply allows me a bit more surface area should anything happen.

RBSN

As others have said; there is no harm in keeping a record if you want to but the main record you want to keep is a clean front sheet.

Enjoy and good luck with your career

driver9000

Established Member
You're not required to keep on going records although you will be required keep a detailed record in your training log.

I keep a record of what I drive and the services I work including any unusual events or delays that occur en route. It's something I've always done and it's a nice record of where I've been and some of the things that have happened during my time as a Driver. It's just personal history really.

Trogladyte

The title is stressing me out. A stat is a statistic. Moderators on here usually on the ball with correcting anything and everything!

choochoochoo

Established Member
I also note in my diary when I last drove over a rarely-used part of the route / rarely-used siding. That way you know when your competency is about to lapse. Apparently the company's competence management computer system keeps an eye on this, but can't see how it can possibly know if I've been diverted/re-routed on a particular journey.

pdeaves

Established Member
What would you want the record for? If you want to be able to sit in your nursing home and tell your great grand children you drove train 12345 through 20 feet of snow, you will keep different information to what everyone else has said!

Status
Not open for further replies.