• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recreation of a semaphore signal arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanGB

Hi all,

I am about to starting producing a replacement semaphore signal arm for a GER signal. I have the original drawings.
I am undecided which wood to use. I believe the original used cedar.
Do people know what wood was typically used to make the wooden semaphore signal arms?

Its approx 249mm wide.

Thanks.
Dan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
From the title, I thought that this thread was about what signals do when they are bored waiting for the next train to come along. :)

John Webb

Established Member
"Midland Style" by the Historical Model Railway Society (2nd Ed, published 1978) also says that signal arms were made of cedar "and sometimes of mahogany.". Arms are circa 0.75" thick (20mm).

Make sure the end grain is well protected by paint to maximise the life of the arm. We did try plywood at St Albans, but eventually went over to cedar or another close-grained wood with better results. (Our first arm, of 6mm ply, broke in a strong wind only a year or so after we put it up!)

Last edited:

DanGB

"Midland Style" by the Historical Model Railway Society (2nd Ed, published 1978) also says that signal arms were made of cedar "and sometimes of mahogany.". Arms are circa 0.75" thick (20mm).

Make sure the end grain is well protected by paint to maximise the life of the arm. We did try plywood at St Albans, but eventually went over to cedar or another close-grained wood with better results. (Our first arm, of 6mm ply, broke in a strong wind only a year or so after we put it up!)

Hi John,

Very useful thanks. so you have done something similar? How was cedar to work with. Did you choose this for historical reasons, or because it was an ideal choice? Did you look at any other woods apart from the ones you mentioned?
Cedar does seem a good choice as its also quite lightweight.

John Webb

Established Member
Hi John,

Very useful thanks. so you have done something similar? How was cedar to work with. Did you choose this for historical reasons, or because it was an ideal choice? Did you look at any other woods apart from the ones you mentioned?
Cedar does seem a good choice as its also quite lightweight.
I didn't do the work, only saw it being done. Have a look at http://www.sigbox.co.uk/sigbox/news/news_2017.eb and scroll down to 'March' to see the broken arm and its replacement. We used cedar as that's what the book said was used!

Status
Not open for further replies.