• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Red Rover Ticket's blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

londontransit

I'm sure few of you remember Red Rover Tickets! They were the early form of Travelcard - well sort of - and very cheap! A Red Rover Ticket enabled people to travel anywhere across London on its buses for the day, and we used to take the 25 through to Victoria (it was RT roof top buses in those days, even these ran in the deepest freeze we've even known - the big 1963 freeze-up and the deep snow didn't seem to faze the drivers.) From Victoria (or Holborn, Oxford Circus or Hyde Park etc) we often took another bus to travel further afield. The furthest we went on Red Rover Tickets was Seven Kings to Hampton Court. In those days it would have been much easier then - now its all very slow traffic and many changes of bus. The regular bus rides on the 25 in those days also meant a trip over the Oxford Circus umbrella!

Anyway I coined the user name for my blog so I wanted to do what others do and that is post links. I've just written about the incline lifts on Crossrail if that's of any interest!

Crossrail reveals its incline lifts

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londontransit

The announcement on Wednesday that Oxford Circus tube station will have some sort of upgrade (described as new entrances, major enhancements, etc) is slightly misleading I think since the images rendered for the project actually involve the use of an existing 1920s escalator shaft and a sixties built (but hardly used) interconnecting subway, it wont be an improvement in terms of capacity for example.

I wrote a post querying this 'upgrade' with diagram and pictures showing the sites of these and where the new add-on bits are proposed.

Oxford Circus tube station upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.