• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Red Spotted Hanky

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnycache

Checking out the new LM timetable i came across a rather strange ticket type description on red spotted hanky

euston tamworth single date 10 December
after 1000
show all fares

£21.15 off-peak single valid via shortest direct route
£41.30 off-peak single valid via shortest direct route

can anyone shed any light on this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Nothing to do with the LM Trent Valley service running via Weedon in lieu of Northampton from 9 December is it? Via Weedon is 32mi 55ch, via Northampton is 34mi 70ch. Then again I'm not sure why you'd stop people travelling via Northampton, more to the point how is the general passenger meant to know the 'shortest direct route'? Will there be posters or info given out by staff?

(Apologies if the above is completely and utterly incorrect!)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What's strange about it? It's the description of a ticket routed 'Direct,' of which there are many across the country and were formerly hundreds, although many seem to have been phased out in recent times.

dzug2

There don't actually seem to be any trains on which the cheaper fare is valid

The FGW site describes it as a 'web only' fare

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There don't actually seem to be any trains on which the cheaper fare is valid

The FGW site describes it as a 'web only' fare
It is the ticket formerly known as something along the lines of 'Saver Half' only available for purchase from the Virgin Trains website in conjunction with another ticket.

sonic2009

Established Member
There's nothing strange about the fare, the fare exists at the moment between Tamworth & London Euston.

One fare is a Saver Half fare, only valid I think when combining with an Advance ticket, and the higher fare being the normal Off Peak Single price.

http://brfares.com/#fares?orig=TAM&dest=EUS&rlc=
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It is the ticket formerly known as something along the lines of 'Saver Half' only available for purchase from the Virgin Trains website in conjunction with another ticket.

I managed to purchase a SVH fare from the London Midland website last Monday for a trip to London.

I got at £6.60 advance for the 0856 from Atherstone, and a SVH £14.40 fare for the 1903 Virgin service change at Rugby arr 2023 (with a 16-25 railcard).

island

Veteran Member
So in other words, WebTIS is now doing SVH tickets? Not before time.

Status
Not open for further replies.