• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Redspottedhanky booking fee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Be3G

Established Member
Sadly the days of double clubcard points for purchases in store then exchanging for RSH vouchers worth three times the value of clubcard vouchers are long gone.

I remember back when Tesco had voucher deals directly with the TOCs that it used to be possible to get 4x the voucher value – which, combined with the many bonus point promotions they had in their stores, was good value. In fact, that was when I did the majority of my first class travel as it was worth it for the sake of a few more points. Those were the days eh.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I really think RSH may have miscalculated with this one. There are loads of unhappy customers posting on their FB page, and saying that they will go elsewhere now. I guess that RSH figured that if it works for thetrainline it will work for them. The difference is that ttl have a massive advertising campaign that's been going on for years, so much so that some people think that is the only place you can buy online, or get "cheap" tickets. I've hardly seen any advertising from RSH.

Also, I suspect that a large proportion of RSH's customers are more "in the know", and actually used them because they charged no fees.

So, now I'm dumping RSH where is the best deal (cashback or whatever) to get train tickets? I'm signed up with EC, but they only give out points if you spend over a certain amount.

andrewkeith5

I really think RSH may have miscalculated with this one. There are loads of unhappy customers posting on their FB page, and saying that they will go elsewhere now. I guess that RSH figured that if it works for thetrainline it will work for them. The difference is that ttl have a massive advertising campaign that's been going on for years, so much so that some people think that is the only place you can buy online, or get "cheap" tickets. I've hardly seen any advertising from RSH.

Also, I suspect that a large proportion of RSH's customers are more "in the know", and actually used them because they charged no fees.

So, now I'm dumping RSH where is the best deal (cashback or whatever) to get train tickets? I'm signed up with EC, but they only give out points if you spend over a certain amount.

I use:

East Coast for over £22 spends
First Great Western for under £22 spends that I'm not likely to need to cancel (2 nectar points per £1 on rail tickets, but not plusbus)
Southern for any ticket I'm more likely to need to refund for the free refunds policy

I don't know about cashback as I find most of the cashback sites too much of a hassle to book a simple rail ticket.

talldave

Established Member
I get 4% cashback through Quidco for purchases through the Southern website. Select Gatwick Express from within Quidco, then jump to the Southern mixing deck URL in the same browser window.

An added bonus of Southern is the ease with which you can get a refund if you don't travel (not available for all ticket types, terms & conditions apply, other vendors of tickets are available, blah blah......).

thebigcheese

Ooh thanks talldave.

Another customer lost from RSH. One benifit I will miss of using them is they put all the tickets under one TOD number whereas East Midlands seem to have a different collection ref per journey

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
they put all the tickets under one TOD number whereas EC seem to have a different collection ref per journey

EC put all the bookings under one reference, so long as you book them as one transaction. You can make up to five bookings as one transaction with EC.

No Brakes

Luckily my journeys are between South West Trains stations so I can get 3% quidco, and they're usually pretty good at tracking/paying.

Another one who won't be using RSH now, unless I can't find anything else to spend Tesco vouchers on. Actually won't be buying as much in Tesco too because of it. Bad move by RSH.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I had an email from East Coast today promoting the Rewards scheme. I am already a Rewards member but perhaps they are trying to drum up more custom from dissatisfied RSH customers.

Also, the fact that EC are actively promoting Rewards points might mean there is more chance of the scheme being retained by the new operator.

Just went to use this site and it appears that you only get charged the booking fee if you used a card, when I clicked to pay by voucher in full the £1 fee went away

Starmill

Veteran Member
Just went to use this site and it appears that you only get charged the booking fee if you used a card, when I clicked to pay by voucher in full the £1 fee went away

Yes. My experience of it is that if you pay by vouchers only they do not apply the booking fee.

ngood77

I've just spent £10.60 on RSH website using a CC and no fee was applied ??

EDIT : I used the mobile site.

ji459

I paid with vouchers today and was charged the £1 booking fee, so it looks like the loophole has now been closed. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.