• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

redspottedhanky charging twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwrad Murray

I have recently been charged twice for return tickets to London for my wife and myself though the Reference Number was the same. I believe others have had the same problem. We were sent four lots of return tickets. Redspottedhanky are refusing to reimburse the money because the tickets left unused and returned to them at our cost (registered post) were not in number sequence as the ticket collector took non-sequential tickets when we proffered all of them to him.

I believe others have had the same problem with redspottedhanky doubling up on charges?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
How did you pay for the tickets? If it was by Credit Card, it may be worth getting in touch with your card issuer.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Redspottedhanky are refusing to reimburse the money because the tickets left unused and returned to them at our cost (registered post) were not in number sequence as the ticket collector took non-sequential tickets when we proffered all of them to him.

By that, do you mean the guard stamped differently numbered coupons on the outward portion and the return portion?

Did you not try and get in touch with them when you first received the tickets?

island

Veteran Member
Were they advance tickets?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Were they advance tickets?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thetrainline charged me twice (I think it was when I was using the Scotrail website, when you could get tickets for half price on one of their promotions) and refused to refund me unless I jumped through various hoops. So I just contacted my bank, and I had the money back very promptly indeed.

Thetrainline appear to have anti-customer policies which Basil Fawlty would be proud of, but I thought RSH were a bit better than that!

craigwilson

And how many transactions are there on your bank account/credit card statement?

Even more specifically, how many complete transactions are there? By that, I mean listed in your statement, rather than just affecting the available balance?

I ask as I've had Virgin, in the past, charge me (apparently) twice for two lots of tickets bought in the same transaction, accoring to the change in my available balance. On inquiring with the bank, there were three transactions; one for the total amount, and two for each individual set of tickets. The charge for the total amount turned out to be a "pre-authorisation" type charge which dropped off my account after 3-4 days.

As a protest at Virgin earning interest on my money for three days, I decided to use Southeastern's site (WebTIS-powered of course) from then on, and have had no such problem since.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Although of course RSH is WebTIS-engined, isn't it?

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
For the record, the merchant does not actually receive money on a preauthorization, so Virgin was not earning interest.

It does show up an oddity of trainline-powered sites as when you buy multiple journeys in a single transaction they bill them as separate transactions and therefore may not match the preauthorization, causing the total amount of the transaction to be held for a few days after the separate transactions post. Some banks (principally RBS and its subsidiaries I am told) show preauthorizations on online banking as though they were real transactions, which doesn't help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.