• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reduced rate season ticket discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

c1995

Hi there,
Please could anyone answer a question about the reduced rate season ticket available to me as a non-safe guarded employee?
If I purchase an annual reduced rate season ticket is the 75% discount calculated from the annual cost of a public season ticket or is it based off the public weekly price of a season ticket and multiplied across 52 weeks? I couldn’t get an answer out of RSTL, they just directed me to a ticket office.
Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jan Mayen

A priv rate season was, when I had one 25% of the public rate. An annual is 40 times the weekly rate. Example public rate weekly £100* 40 = £4,000 for the annual. Priv rate is £1,000.
NB: It's 15 or more years since I issued a ticket of any sort in anger, things might have changed!

father_jack

Correct as per the comment above.
The factor chart below shows how any season 10 months and 13 days or longer is the same calculation as an annual at 40 weeks.

STfactors.jpg

c1995

Hi, thanks both for your replies. It was confusing to me as I received my authorisation form through which contained the following instructions for the ticket office:

3. Find the seven-day public Season Ticket fare for the journey requested below using your ticket machine.
4. Within the London Fare Zones Area, some journeys do not have a seven-day public Season ticket rate.
In this case, take the base rate price of the equivalent public 7-Day Travelcard Season ticket. However you must issue the Privilege/Reduced Rate Season Ticket as a point-to-point Season ticket, not as a Travelcard either by overriding the Origin and Destination, or by using manual fares functionality. Select the origin and destination to match the details on this form and use route code 00848 RAIL ONLY NO BUS.
5. Obtain the reduced rate season ticket base rate by taking one quarter of the public 7-Day fare.
6. Issue the reduced rate season ticket for the appropriate price for the period requested.

For my journey the public rate for 7 days is £118.20 & £4728.00 annually. So by my thinking it should cost me £1182

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The instructions in Knowledgebase say to round the final amount down to the next lowest multiple of 5p, though not all Ticket Issuing Systems do so.

So in this example, the discounted 7 Day rate is £29.55 and the Annual rate is indeed £1182.00. The Monthly (3.84x the 7 Day rate) would be £113.472, which should round down to £113.45 but a TIS is just as likely to round it up to £113.50.

As an aside, "market-priced" season tickets (those that use a lower base rate for calculating Monthly and longer season ticket prices, rather than the Weekly rate) are generally setup in the Fares Database to allow a TIS to calculate the discounted rate itself rather than relying on the clerk doing so manually.

c1995

Thank you all very much for your insights! I’ll post once I’ve bought the ticket with the outcome. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.