• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reflections on a South East Wales Network Rider

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
With an enforced weeks' holiday and not much to do, I thought I'd have a twin activity day of blending some mountain biking and some bus travel. Actually, I went on some buses and then had a couple of hours on the bike as, the other way round, would have offended fellow passengers' noses. These are my reflections on a day in South Wales, with some notable differences in life over the Severn Bridge. Apologise in advance for any gaps in knowledge and hope it proves interesting, on both a Covid comparator AND general reflections on bus travel and Wales generally.

The evening before, I checked the guidance for travel and saw that bus travel was no longer limited to essential travel. The use of face coverings is mandatory, as per England, but with the additional proviso that it was a three ply, close woven fabric one. That requirement satisfied and with the sanitising gel sorted, I headed off over the bridge and chose a safe place in which to hide a car with a mountain bike (plus kit) in the back of it. A suitably secure residential road near Pye Corner (outside Newport) was chosen and I went out to catch my first bus on the frequent 151 to Newport. This route received nearly new Stagecoach Gold e200mmcs displaced from the Rhondda last year, and they do suit this trunk route. 26179 duly arrived and I purchased my SEWNR and headed to Newport. I really like these vehicles and part of me is slightly saddened that the Gold concept has been dropped. They are good vehicles too with comfortable seats and USBs as well as good interior branding.

It's a short trip and I we soon arrived at Newport and I then looked to see what time the next bus was to Cardiff. I'd just missed it and checking for the next one, I realised that this service was hourly. My lack of planning (other than health compliance) was now highlighted, and it showed two things. Unlike England, where funding has been largely agreed, this is a) not the case in Wales and so frequencies appear much lower despite the need to practice social distancing and b) the overall level of commercial activity is lower so footfall in towns in lower. Faced with a long wait, I decided to hope on the X15, as immortalised by Goldie Lookin Chain, and headed for Brynmawr on Stagecoach e200 36774.

We left Newport but this route heads via Duffryn so takes its time to escape the gravitational pull of Newport. One bonus was my first glimpse in the flesh of the new Stagecoach livery on an e200 inbound from Caerphilly; it's release and then lockdown meant it was my first glimpse. I know many comments have been made on the appropriate thread but it just served to confirm my thoughts. I don't mind the colour pallet but the application seems counter to what they wanted to achieve. On the example I saw, it had white window surrounds and again that doesn't help the livery or the vehicle design. Just my thoughts! The X15 doesn't appear to be have much express-ness; I'll have to defer to local experts but were there more limited stop and stopping services down the Valleys and that rail openings like the Ebbw Vale line have led to a number being withdrawn? Anyway, I soon decided that nearly two hours on an e200 wasn't for me so I bailed at Risca, in favour of the long standing 56 to Tredegar. This is now operating on a two hourly frequency and so it was a surprise when Stagecoach Solo 47211 turned up. For a 15 year old Solo, it wasn't in bad shape but the recommended capacity of 11 was soon filled up, mainly by pensioners though with some being in shared bubbles, our max load of 15 was probably ok.

It's been a few years since I stopped in Tredegar and I had 20 mins to kill. I had a quick walk about and, to be honest, it's one of those places that desperately needs a town centre redevelopment. The shopping centre (on the site of the old National Welsh depot) is tired and mainly empty and it really does highlight how bus operators are caught in trying to serve places that are dying on their feet and this is reflected by falling passenger numbers that some ascribe to the incompetence of management and shareholder greed; there's undoubtedly some of that but the economic decline in such places is palpable. I got the X4 to another such place (Merthyr). This was e300 28640, older than the other X4 fleet and without the USB ports. This route was branded a few years ago but now seems to lack anything much both internally or externally. Moreover, I then caught sight of another e300 that had been repainted in the new Stagecoach yellow but without the appropriate vinyls.... It did look like a school bus. The X4 should be a premium route and would or could have been a Gold service; I have reservations about the way Stagecoach is going. I had greater reservations about the two young women who could manage to get their nails sorted but not wear masks; this was something I noticed during the day in that it was the younger people (not exclusively though) who flouted the requirements in wearing masks whereas it seems the older people who are less stringent in England.

I disembarked at Pontypridd, and it's always a singularly disappointing experience bus wise. Once upon a time, it was Shamrock's dodgy fleet, then it was Veolia and now it's NAT Travel. I know we have a regular poster on the boards who kindly updates us, and I know they have a new livery/image coming but the disappointing selection of grubby and slightly battered white and blue buses on view was what I've come to expect. One can only hope that the new livery is accompanied by greater attention to detail in terms of presentation. However, I decided to catch the 100 operated by Edwards with a very smart B8RLE with MCV body. This was superbly turned out as that fleet tends to be, with smart fabric notices applied to seats to advise of their usage (or not). It's a quite challenging route with some sharp hills so perhaps it explains why the B8RLE is chosen though a sharp right hander down a hill in Llantrisant was a bit of a squeeze. Talbot Green is one of those places that seems bigger and more important than it's low profile suggests. It even retains a bus station where I got off, and then waited for the 321 to Cowbridge. I'd fancied doing the Cowbridge route for a bit but to be honest, it's actually a bit dull. It was livened up by a 13 plate NAT short e200 that was a bag of spanners. It banged and clattered with the cab door swinging open on a couple of occasions, driven by a bloke who looked the double of Greyo, the corrupt copper who survives Twin Town.

I had time to kill in Cowbridge which is a nice place for a slight sojourn but the rules on eating in meant it was a takeaway coffee and a sandwich whilst I waited for the X2. I was using the excellent First app and this is where I'm going to be controversial.... in many ways, First are heading in the right direction in terms of technology, image etc whilst Stagecoach seem to be losing their way, just a little. I was tracking the X2 with the capacity feature assuring me that I'd be ok to board and so it proved. It was one of the ex Glasgow Airport e200s. These come with USBs, ridiculous levels of legroom, and some rather distinctive purple and black seats though it has to be said that the purple fabric is already looking grubby. However, these vehicles go well and its clearly a popular service (even at only hourly) and we sped along the A48. I'd probably last done this route in the mid 1990s on some TE type Tiger (!) so the route in via Cardiff Bay was a new experience. Bridgend to Cardiff end to end can't compete with the train so expect its places like Cowbridge and Cardiff Bay that enable a healthy frequency on the route to be sustained.

I was left with nearly an hour before my next bus so I risked a trip on Cardiff Bus 8 to Galbalfa (where I could later catch the X30 to Newport) that took me through some of the inner city and Maindee. This was operated by a smart Eclipse though it had a few rattles. Now, it perplexes me how Cardiff Bus isn't more profitable (though I recognise the issue of competition from NAT) but the sheer amount of road traffic and poor bus priority might be a clue! We crawled through the city and it really surprised me how bad things both in the centre but also once we left. Perhaps it's low road speeds and a lack of priority that stop CB being as good as Lothian or Reading? I got off and then made my way to the windswept bus stop to await the X30. I was astonished to see that I was one of three boarding at this lonely outpost at Newport Bus 47 (a 2007 Omnicity) as it arrived and swept us up for a trip along the M4. We made decent time and it wasn't a bad machine though it was beginning to see a little frayed on the edges of the rather unyielding seats.

Back in Newport and it was the usual display of Newport Bus vehicles.... knackered elderly Darts (surely must be ready to go if new electric vehicles do arrive?) plus more middle aged stuff bought when times were better. I hope NB does manage to prosper now that NAT have largely exited the area and Foxstar disappeared into their own PR. It does have a whiff of Halton about it but I hope I'm wrong. It was a quick walk to the Stagecoach half of the bus station, past the assorted addicts etc. I appreciate the sociological problems of people and that they need help, not just a metaphorical boot, but it's that sort of thing that makes public transport seem as if it's for the lesser folk. You shouldn't have to walk past a load of sweary folk off their head on White Lightening to catch a bus. I did though and finished off with a last run back to Pye Corner on the 151 on 26198, another Gold e200mmc on what seemed to be the only reasonably high frequency inter-urban service I experienced that day.

Apologies if I bored you but hope there's some nuggets of interest. I don't know the politics about the support of Covid bus services in Wales but clearly, there are some major issues at play.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
As always thank you for your travelogues.

Of course if there was a risk that you would have 'offended fellow passengers' noses', then they should have been wearing masks to avoid it!

The Welsh Government have taken a very different approach to transport and Covid with the messaging that anybody using public transport was some sort of criminal until recently. I believe they made some kind of announcement about the potential for funding to allow timetables to resume however it appeared to be more an attempt to take control of all the services than actual get things moving and since then they appear to have concentrated on changing as many routes as they can to demand responsive despite this usually ending up with a bus service that people don't like as much that costs more to run than a fleet of taxis!

Cardiff Bus appears to suffer from being told to keep quiet and do what it's owner tells it to so it's never allowed to be a transport company (in comparison with Reading for example). I'm not aware of it raising any objections as the Council slowly killed off the bus station, it dosent appear to get any press about wanting bus priorities and the like and hasn't made much noise about the more recent road closures in the city centre. If it's got any lobbying power to it's owner, it dosent appear to produce any useful result!

The odd thing with Pontypridd is, as you point out, theres always a company there that can show how to do it (Edwards now and Bebb before Veolia bought them) alongside a bigger company that appears not to care.

tramboy

As ever, a most interesting travelogue.

The X15 doesn't appear to be have much express-ness; I'll have to defer to local experts but were there more limited stop and stopping services down the Valleys and that rail openings like the Ebbw Vale line have led to a number being withdrawn?

There were - X18 used to be Ebbw Vale - Newport, and the demise of the X16 (in it's final form being Risca-Marshfield-Cardiff, but previously extending back up to Brynmawr) was hastened by the arrival of the railway to Ebbw Vale.

I believe they made some kind of announcement about the potential for funding to allow timetables to resume however it appeared to be more an attempt to take control of all the services than actual get things moving

The article above mentions the immediate announcement that will hopefully see service levels increase in time for schools to go back in September. The promised announcement this week is yet to materialise, given that both Scotland & England have plans in place for longer that about 4 weeks of funding... You are, however, quite correct in that they are using Covid to "take back control" of all the public money they see themselves putting into the bus industry in Wales, especially as their Buses Bill is now off the legislative agenda - at least until after next year's Senedd elections I suggest. It remains to be seen what the actual details of the full "Bus Emergency Scheme" announced previously are - where all the money is "controlled".

For the moment, however, operators have been left to their own devices, so whilst patronage increases slowly, that demand led approach and the need to balance the books means that higher service levels can't be achieved. I've no doubt that Welsh Gov't would have probably let operators get to the point of making large numbers of driving staff redundant in November (when furlough ends) before they put "more public money" in to the industry as it stands. Of course, that doesn't go down well with the Trade Union movement, whose support Labour need next year to maintain control of the Senedd.

The road closures (for the Castle Cafe at present, but usually for events!) and other diversions in Cardiff won't be helping either Cardiff Bus or NAT to regain passenger confidence. The lack of bus station may be a hinderance to everyone, but other municipals (see NCT as an example) don't serve any bus stations at all - the difference being that the Council are bothered about high quality on street infrastructure which they take charge of, unlike in Cardiff where the realtime system is in desperate need of an upgrade and the on stop information is something operators have to do themselves. I think if Cardiff Council could focus on bus priority/infrastructure in the City, it would give their owned operator something of a boost - the bus station has been somewhat of a diversion since it closed, that takes focus away from everywhere else. Removal and enforcement of some of the car parking/loading bays on the major roads (on the service 8 you took, City Road is a well known hotspot), would go some way to help out.

Finally, I noted on the internet that Newport's electric Yutong E12s have arrived in the country and are at Pelican in Yorkshire, so hopefully they can't be too far off being finished off (the poster of the picture I saw noted several without seats), and delivered to Newport to give that fleet a well needed boost.

rcro

Having spent a fair bit of time in Newport recently, it doesn’t sell its buses very well! Outside of the bus station only selected stops on the 151 and 56 routes have timetables, the latter being from the Glyn Williams era(!) and the countdown displays all say “please refer to timetables”. Some stops have had the same “new printed timetables coming soon” in the cases for at least 4 years and the rest an advert for Newport Bus day trips in summer 2016...

There’s a lot of criticism for Cityfox or whoever they were, but at least they tried to do something whereas Newport Transport have the feeling of being on their last legs. It’s a little bit funny that the buses are left to be so bad as generally Newport council is pretty good at most other things! The only recent success story I‘ve seen with the buses is Stagecoach’s 50a as it’s always got 15+ people on it when I see it on Cardiff Road!

PS. The X18 is or was ”express” through Maesglas... All the other buses came off Cardiff Road for 100 yards. Quickest way Newport to Brynmawr/Ebbw Vale by bus is to get X24 to Pontypool and change there!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks to @carlberry, @tramboy and @rcro for the background on the Welsh Government. I'd heard something about a landgrab but wasn't really up to speed on it.

Also appreciate their information on the various former Express services up the Sirhowy etc. I used to head to Cwmcarn for the mountain biking so kinda recalled more services but in truth, the memory has faded!! And yes, in some areas, you'd think Glyn Williams was still alive and operating.

Pat1105

I used a Network Rider last year and have to say I was impressed with the area that it covers, not to mention the value! It was a nice change to ride buses round the valleys instead of Birmingham & the Black Country!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I used a Network Rider last year and have to say I was impressed with the area that it covers, not to mention the value! It was a nice change to ride buses round the valleys instead of Birmingham & the Black Country!

It's a great ticket. I'd not had a trip round Wales for a while (despite living the other side of the bridge) but have managed one during the last 3 summers and usually on a good day weather wise. @RELL6L tipped me off about the 1 from Bargoed to Merthyr which is a superb hidden gem of a route. There are many other great services where you can see natural beauty in the hills and valleys but also the coast on the Vale of Glamorgan, the post industrial grit and the partial regeneration plus two major cities.

anthony263

Established Member
Nat are slowly getting vehicles re painted and refurbished. Ive driven thec320/321 services recently and those enviros are being refurbished and repainted 1 at a time although they are rattle buses.

The reason they are used is because of the narrow bridge over the swml by the miskin Arms in miskin where we always had issues with getting the optare solos except for mini solo DWO which is of course branded up for use on the fflecsi service G1 in Cardiff.

We are expecting a further new livery for the Townlink 102/112 branded buses soon in Pontypridd

rcro

For a bit of fun, here’s *all* the information I got from passing 10 Newport bus stops during a hot lunchtime walk. Are they building a new bus station?

Attachments

• A9FD98DD-B425-4445-8899-C7D12A25BD0E.jpeg
    A9FD98DD-B425-4445-8899-C7D12A25BD0E.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 15
  • E8360453-BB71-4161-99FB-5D4BC436A718.jpeg
    E8360453-BB71-4161-99FB-5D4BC436A718.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 137A9DD9-29FA-4735-8A34-0A453E662A75.jpeg
    137A9DD9-29FA-4735-8A34-0A453E662A75.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 15

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Nat are slowly getting vehicles re painted and refurbished. Ive driven thec320/321 services recently and those enviros are being refurbished and repainted 1 at a time although they are rattle buses.

The reason they are used is because of the narrow bridge over the swml by the miskin Arms in miskin where we always had issues with getting the optare solos except for mini solo DWO which is of course branded up for use on the fflecsi service G1 in Cardiff.

We are expecting a further new livery for the Townlink 102/112 branded buses soon in Pontypridd

I mentioned the new livery and I did see one so repainted in Cardiff; a Metrocity IIRC and it looked good from a distance. However, it's also fair to say that the current presentation of the fleet isn't great and hence the caveat that I hope the new livery will also be accompanied by an improved focus on presentation in general.

The e200 I experienced was really bad (though that's an e200 trait anyway) but the disappointment was more the actual scenery of the journey.

anthony263

Established Member
The 320 service is the more scenic route through the country lanes. Us drivers do try to keep our buses presentable too but this virus has made us more wary.

The pontypridd fleet have started to get better especially as we have our new depot in Taff's well next to the new tfw tram train depot which has solid concrete not mud etc like the old humphreys coaches yard

tramboy

There are many other great services where you can see natural beauty in the hills and valleys but also the coast on the Vale of Glamorgan, the post industrial grit and the partial regeneration plus two major cities.

I'm sure it's been done, but a trip across on the 172 (Aberdare-Bridgend-Porthcawl) gives you a great trip across the Rhondda and then to the coast.

For a bit of fun, here’s *all* the information I got from passing 10 Newport bus stops during a hot lunchtime walk. Are they building a new bus station?

The onus really should be on the operators to sell their services, or ensure they put appropriate pressure on the Council to get stops to a good standard if they don't want multiple timetables in one case. I agree, other than RCT, Caerphilly & Cardiff (although sometimes out of the city centre the latter can go backwards), the rest of the local authorities don't do a particularly good job. Stagecoach were, pre-pandemic, slowly trying to get stops in Torfaen & Blaenau Gwent back with some sort of reliable information, and fair play to NAT who had slowly started posting timetables as well.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'm sure it's been done, but a trip across on the 172 (Aberdare-Bridgend-Porthcawl) gives you a great trip across the Rhondda and then to the coast.

Done it the past couple of years. First time was from near Bridgend to Aberdare, and last year from Aberdare to Rhondda Hospital. Both were glorious days and the views were tremendous. The e300s on there aren't bad machines either. I'd recommend it to anyone.

The onus really should be on the operators to sell their services, or ensure they put appropriate pressure on the Council to get stops to a good standard if they don't want multiple timetables in one case. I agree, other than RCT, Caerphilly & Cardiff (although sometimes out of the city centre the latter can go backwards), the rest of the local authorities don't do a particularly good job. Stagecoach were, pre-pandemic, slowly trying to get stops in Torfaen & Blaenau Gwent back with some sort of reliable information, and fair play to NAT who had slowly started posting timetables as well.

Such are the problems all over the country. You have operators who want to put up roadside publicity. Councils don't want them to (citing ownership and not wishing to enter a competitive quandary) but also don't have the funds or desire to do something properly.

anthony263

Established Member
Done it the past couple of years. First time was from near Bridgend to Aberdare, and last year from Aberdare to Rhondda Hospital. Both were glorious days and the views were tremendous. The e300s on there aren't bad machines either. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Such are the problems all over the country. You have operators who want to put up roadside publicity. Councils don't want them to (citing ownership and not wishing to enter a competitive quandary) but also don't have the funds or desire to do something properly.
I had a few get on with weekly network riders yesterday issued this week by stagecoach.

Pleased to say our services even sunday evening services are picking up.

Had a fair number going home on my late 130 last night especially from Treorchy to Blaencwm and Blaenrhondda

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I had a few get on with weekly network riders yesterday issued this week by stagecoach.

Pleased to say our services even sunday evening services are picking up.

Had a fair number going home on my late 130 last night especially from Treorchy to Blaencwm and Blaenrhondda
That's good to hear. I do hope the WG manage to provide proper funding without it becoming a nationalisation on the cheap.

carlberry

Established Member
That's good to hear. I do hope the WG manage to provide proper funding without it becoming a nationalisation on the cheap.
I believe they're providing funding from the school start date, however they're dropping the 'anybody who uses public transport is the anti Christ' message today with one day's notice so no chance for any operator to respond and no money to help for three weeks!

anthony263

Established Member
Plus social distancing on buses due to change from 2m but nobody know is its to 1.5m or 1m

Had a couple of people get on the 404 service today with network riders. Harris coaches starting to restore services from a week Monday and majority of nats remaining services going back to pre lockdown timetables plus stagecoach restoring so.e evening and sunday services.

404 service has been doing very well especially since people are voting with their feet since first cymru not bothering to run their bridhend to pencoed and Talbot green services

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.