• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refund for train cancelled due to flooding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
I need some further advice I was supposed to be travelling from FKG to Berwick upon Tweed today 1046 (0755 ex Inverness) and returning on 1540 from Berwick Upon Tweed to FKG.

Checked to see how the train was running to find it has been cancelled :oops:
due to flooding.

I have an Advanced 1st Class Ticket for both portions of the journey. As the outward service has been cancelled and my time was restricted in Berwick will I be able to claim a refund for both portions and how ?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
As the outward service has been cancelled and my time was restricted in Berwick will I be able to claim a refund for both portions and how ?
Yes. Use one single copy of East Coast's Delay Repay form to claim for outward and return legs. If both legs were booked in the same transaction, East Coast will treat them as a return journey and give a refund for both legs. Even if they were booked separately, we have had reports of train companies treating two Advance singles as a return ticket where the claim is made on one form.

As always, take a photocopy of both claim form and tickets before sending them off. East Coast do have an online claim facility but it is not good at coping with two Advance singles being used for a return journey.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes. Use one single copy of East Coast's Delay Repay form to claim for outward and return legs. If both legs were booked in the same transaction, East Coast will treat them as a return journey and give a refund for both legs. Even if they were booked separately, we have had reports of train companies treating two Advance singles as a return ticket where the claim is made on one form.

As always, take a photocopy of both claim form and tickets before sending them off. East Coast do have an online claim facility but it is not good at coping with two Advance singles being used for a return journey.

Thanks, where do I get a delay repay form from - is it available online ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks, where do I get a delay repay form from - is it available online ?

Have found the form now , however I think I will write to East Coast Customer Service to avoid any complications in the matter. I note the form is scanned by a computer and I feel mine needs human intervention.

The fact the 1046 from FKG to Berwick-upon-Tweed was cancelled meant I was unable to utilise the Berwick-upon-Tweed -FKG 1540 return service I was booked on.

The short layover was to visit The Castle and come back afterwards almost straight away. This obviously became untenable with the cancellation of the outward service.

I booked it online through East Coast and am in The Loyalty Club so I should be ok hopefully.

Last edited:

Established Member
A few winters ago I was due to go to Inverness using two advances to make a return journey - the heavy snow put paid to that. Sent them the tickets and had a refund soon after (although the amount of refunds they had to proces meant it was much later than usual).

Butts

Veteran Member
A few winters ago I was due to go to Inverness using two advances to make a return journey - the heavy snow put paid to that. Sent them the tickets and had a refund soon after (although the amount of refunds they had to proces meant it was much later than usual).

Yes thanks for that I have the tickets and letter ready to despatch. I'm glad in a way it was cancelled as the delays being experienced on the return leg from Berwick to FKG seem horrendous - I was supposed to catch the 1540 back and at the time of writing (1710) it has not even reached Berwick yet.

Have to work tonight so I would have been right in the midden - teaches me a valuable lesson do not book a daytrip when you have a commitment in the evening - just in case :p

Failed Unit

Established Member
I have never understood why East Coast cancel and put on an additional service rather than just depart 1h15 late like was the case this morning? Is it to allow the AP holders to get the next train without penalty?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I have never understood why East Coast cancel and put on an additional service rather than just depart 1h15 late like was the case this morning? Is it to allow the AP holders to get the next train without penalty?

Money.

If EC were likely to pay the fine for late running it is probably cheaper for them to cancel the service than pay the fine for late running. The additional service would then be running 'on time'.

michael769

Established Member
Money.

If EC were likely to pay the fine for late running it is probably cheaper for them to cancel the service than pay the fine for late running. The additional service would then be running 'on time'.

Another reason is to fudge the stats. They will have separate punctuality and reliability targets and if they are getting close to the limit on punctuality but have headroom on the reliability, then they might want to take a reliability hit instead.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It would also prevent people trying to claim a reserved seat because their service is running when other services are cancelled.

The calling patterns may also be different, so it may avoid confusion there too.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Going a bit O/T but full credit to EC staff yesturday at EDB coping with too few sets and crews and too many pax. Equally fuj marks for running the 07:52 off ABD despite some Aberdeen crew not getting in til late Friday. I dont think the 09:52 left though. A great effort and a lot of journeys saved - the 07:52 was rather full by EDB.

DownSouth

Established Member
Money.

Another reason is to fudge the stats. They will have separate punctuality and reliability targets and if they are getting close to the limit on punctuality but have headroom on the reliability, then they might want to take a reliability hit instead.
It would also prevent people trying to claim a reserved seat because their service is running when other services are cancelled.

The calling patterns may also be different, so it may avoid confusion there too.
Could also be that the situation with the disruption was evolving quickly and it was uncertain how long it would be before they could get things going again.

Are stats really an issue though? Wouldn't companies be given the chance to have their performance calculated without genuine force majeure incidents like flooding being included?

Furrball

Going a bit O/T but full credit to EC staff yesturday at EDB coping with too few sets and crews and too many pax. Equally fuj marks for running the 07:52 off ABD despite some Aberdeen crew not getting in til late Friday. I dont think the 09:52 left though. A great effort and a lot of journeys saved - the 07:52 was rather full by EDB.

The 09:52 I believe was retimed to run as the 10:52 from Aberdeen

dcd

Will you get any compensation as this presumably is caused by severe weather which according to FGW website
Compensation will not be available for disruption resulting from events beyond the control of the rail industry. These include trespass, vandalism, severe weather conditions and security alerts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Failed Unit

Established Member
The 09:52 I believe was retimed to run as the 10:52 from Aberdeen

I was which gave an interesting situation where you had 2x 1330 Edinburgh - London Kings Cross service in Waverley at the same time. The Aberdeen one on platform 2 and the real one on platform 19.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Will you get any compensation as this presumably is caused by severe weather which according to FGW website

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

East coasts charter gives you compensation for weather related incidents.

Status
Not open for further replies.