• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refund on TPE Booking without a printer? Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I am trying to refund a ticket booked with TPE.

I notice there is a refund form on their website. It doesn't let enter more then one leg, only the first one. I have 2 Advance singles booked to make up a return. The return leg has been cancelled in advance so not travelling (don't want to anyway due to Covid 19). The outward leg still ran, although was cancelled short. How do I get around the fact I can't enter both legs?

As I've collected the ticket I need to post them back. I don't have a printer to be able to print their refund form off. Is there any way I can send the tickets back for refund without the need for a printer?

On the refund page (before you click submit, which I assume generates a PDF) it says the tickets should be sent back to FREEPOST FIRST TRANSPENNINE EXPRESS. Can I check this is the right address for online ticket refunds and not that for Customer Relations. Last time I sent a ticket back to TPE I seem to remember the address being FREEPOST TPE REFUNDS or FREEPOST TPE CUSTOMER SUPPORT

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
Would it be acceptable for me to enclose a cover note giving my details and requesting a refund, enclosing my unused tickets and sending them to the freepost address (Freepost First Transpennine Express)?

Veteran Member
Without checking the site: an e-mail with scans or photos of the tickets attached?

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks.

Got to send the physical tickets back sadly so doing by email isn't an option.

Last edited:

trainophile

Established Member
I'm in the same boat. Tried to print the form off last night and found I am out of colour ink cartridge, and couldn't find any way of changing the dark blue text on the form to black. Have ordered some new cartridges and got everything crossed that they come before the post office stop doing deliveries!

The address for delay repay is Freepost First Transpennine Express. The address for my cancelled journey was different, somewhere in Runcorn I think.

Edit:
To:
TransPennine Express Web Refunds
PO Box 321
RUNCORN
WA7 9DE

gray1404

Established Member
Is that the address that is on the form once you have got to the stage whereby you submit the details and it gives you the PDF?

I'm actually wondering if I should send them to Customer Relations with a cover note explaining the situation and request a refund as a Rail Travel Voucher - as I expect Customer Relations can easily issue those. Takes away the need to print a form.

The address I've found on their website for Customer Relations is:
Customer Relations, TransPennine Express, Freepost, ADMAIL 3878, Manchester, M1 9YB

gray1404

Established Member
Is that the address that is on the form once you have got to the stage whereby you submit the details and it gives you the PDF?

I'm actually wondering if I should send them to Customer Relations with a cover note explaining the situation and request a refund as a Rail Travel Voucher - as I expect Customer Relations can easily issue those. Takes away the need to print a form.

The address I've found on their website for Customer Relations is:
Customer Relations, TransPennine Express, Freepost, ADMAIL 3878, Manchester, M1 9YB

Would I be best doing this then?

CrispyUK

If you generate the PDF form on the website, you could view it on screen and hand write the details onto a piece of paper to send in with your tickets, adding a ‘sorry, no printer!’ comment?

Perhaps trainophile could give an indication of how feasible this would be if you’ve already generated/seen the form?

gray1404

Established Member
Seems strange this as on the page you enter the details into it says the address is Freepost First Transpennnine Express, but after you generate the form it sounds like they just give a normal, non freepost address.

Kite159

Veteran Member
When I submitted a request for a cancelled Hull Trains service with having to post the ticket back into TPE, all that was printed out was a reference number & barcode and the instruction of something along the lines of
"Send this form with your ticket(s) to Freepost XYZ, for high value tickets use the non-freepost address for recorded delivery"

gray1404

Established Member
Did online refund form in the end, selecting train cancelled. Then got piece of paper, name and address at the top. Quoted refund claim number (from PDF form with barcode) and stated "tickets enclosed for refund." Sent this to address on form: Freepost First Transpennine Express and have put it in the post.

Hopefully this will be simple and they'll refund it soon. Thanks for the help guys!

paddington

I'm in the same boat. Tried to print the form off last night and found I am out of colour ink cartridge, and couldn't find any way of changing the dark blue text on the form to black.

In Adobe Reader on Windows on my computer, there is a tick box to print in grayscale on the print dialog. And if that were not possible, I could go into my printer settings and change it to print in grayscale in two different ways.

You won't be able to change the text in a PDF yourself without some special software (which incidentally I do possess, but it's still easier to just instruct the printer).

trainophile

Established Member
I tried the simple act of changing the printer itself from colour to black by pressing the Black button (it's a Canon Pixma MG3550) but it stubbornly stayed as colour and just produced a blank sheet with a pale grey covering, not doing much for my limited remaining supply of black ink either. I'm using Safari on a MacBook and blowed if I could find any means of changing the colour in settings. Not to worry, hopefully my new cartridges will arrive tomorrow - they were quick enough to take the payment for them!

As for writing out the details, it's the barcode that floored me.

gray1404

Established Member
I've posted mine this morning with a brief cover note. Quoted refund reference number, my details and requesting ticket refund due to cancellation of train.

I assume that the barcode would only be a faster way of inputting refund reference.

gray1404

Established Member
Given only key workers are allowed to go to work now, does that mean I can expect a bit of a delay in receiving my refund on my tickets or are the TOCs still adhering to the 28 day rule?

I understand TPE use a company called Fast Rail Ticketing to process their refunds for them so I'm not sure if their staff will still be working at this time.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Given only key workers are allowed to go to work now, does that mean I can expect a bit of a delay in receiving my refund on my tickets or are the TOCs still adhering to the 28 day rule?

I understand TPE use a company called Fast Rail Ticketing to process their refunds for them so I'm not sure if their staff will still be working at this time.
Fast Rail Ticketing are currently processing refunds within their contracted timescales, I understand.

gray1404

Established Member
Despite the virus outbreak?

I wonder if Fast Rail Ticketing also process Delay Repay given such claims and refunds are both sent to the Freepost TPE address.

Status
Not open for further replies.