• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refund options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockford

Wondering if you can help?

I bought a London Midland only super off-peak return ticket for £19 from Euston to Bedworth valid from tomorrow (Saturday 26/11/2011) on Redspottedhanky.com and collected it at Stansted Mountfitchet.

I intended to take my bike and travel from Stansted Mountfitchet to Liverpool Street (travelling on my annual season ticket), cycle to Euston and then take the train to Bedworth, changing at Coventry.

Stupidly, I forgot to check engineering work before booking, and there are no trains from Stansted Mountfitchet to Liverpool Street all weekend, only buses.
As I need to take my bike, this is a non-starter.

What are my options for a refund?
Can I take my ticket to Liverpool Street and get a refund, or will it have to go to a London Midland station?
How much will be refunded? £9, or the full £19?

Thanks, and sorry for such a long explanation. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
The ticket has to be submitted to Redspottedhanky.com (the selling agent). You may be able to talk yourself out of the admin fee on the grounds of the engineering work, but then again you may not. And probably not, as the engineering works don't affect the journey you booked.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The ticket has to be submitted to Redspottedhanky.com (the selling agent). You may be able to talk yourself out of the admin fee on the grounds of the engineering work, but then again you may not. And probably not, as the engineering works don't affect the journey you booked.

I agree, although the fact that it was picked up from Stansted Mountfitchet will add credence to the fact that the engineering works will affect your whole journey. I guess your only other option is to ask NXEA whether you would be able to cycle to another line and use your season there instead. I realise that that could be too far to cycle, but I mention it a question to ask.

rockford

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go!
Definitely learnt a lesson for the future...

SS4

Established Member
Since the Super Off Peak is a walk up ticket you can buy it on the day as I don't think LM do seat reservations

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Since the Super Off Peak is a walk up ticket you can buy it on the day as I don't think LM do seat reservations

I was about to say the same - I assume the OP must have used Clubcard points to buy via RSH. If not there is no advantage, as you say.

34D

Established Member
Stupidly, I forgot to check engineering work before booking, and there are no trains from Stansted Mountfitchet to Liverpool Street all weekend, only buses.
As I need to take my bike, this is a non-starter.

Why :s if I was driving the rail replacement coach (as I do on occasion) I wouldn't have an issue with the bike coming.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Why :s if I was driving the rail replacement coach (as I do on occasion) I wouldn't have an issue with the bike coming.

That's excellent news, but since it's explicitly stated that RR coaches don;t take cycles, pushcahirs or dogs (except guide dogs), I wouldn't like to take a chance on encountering such an accommodating person!

34D

Established Member
That's excellent news, but since it's explicitly stated that RR coaches don;t take cycles, pushcahirs or dogs (except guide dogs), I wouldn't like to take a chance on encountering such an accommodating person!

In recent weeks, drivers on every rail job I have been part of have been encouraged to cater for all three of the above by the controllers (rail rep is much improved from the no mans land of 5 years ago). On a Volvo B10M (the typical mid 1990s coach) a bike fits perfectly on top of the engine in the side lockers.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
In recent weeks, drivers on every rail job I have been part of have been encouraged to cater for all three of the above by the controllers (rail rep is much improved from the no mans land of 5 years ago). On a Volvo B10M (the typical mid 1990s coach) a bike fits perfectly on top of the engine in the side lockers.

That is excellent news, but to be any use such arrangements need to be advertised.

If cycles etc are officially accepted on rail rep buses, why isn't this made clear in the notices advising of engineering work? I assume that this is an unofficial allowance that is amde for those who might be unaware of such works taking place, rather than a general rule.

Lrd

Established Member
That is excellent news, but to be any use such arrangements need to be advertised.

If cycles etc are officially accepted on rail rep buses, why isn't this made clear in the notices advising of engineering work? I assume that this is an unofficial allowance that is amde for those who might be unaware of such works taking place, rather than a general rule.

It might be a case of not guaranteeing to always be able to carry a bike. A minibus might be drafted in at the last minute for example, perfectly able to carry passengers, could get fun with a few bikes/pushchairs thrown in the mix. :p

btcc fan

I was on a rail replacement bus last weekend with Southern which was using Double deck buses (some with wheelchair space some not)

Some people tried to board with a bike ( having been told by SWT they could take the bike on the bus) but asked the driver anyway. Driver said he would take them but only if the bus didn't get too full as the only space is the aisle at the front where standing passengers would go.

wintonian

Established Member
I was on a rail replacement bus last weekend with Southern which was using Double deck buses (some with wheelchair space some not)

Some people tried to board with a bike ( having been told by SWT they could take the bike on the bus) but asked the driver anyway. Driver said he would take them but only if the bus didn't get too full as the only space is the aisle at the front where standing passengers would go.

I'm sure SWT have a policy of no bikes on rail replacement buses so they should have known better, in reality though a lot of this is left up to the bus/ coach driver.

callumbb

I'm sure SWT have a policy of no bikes on rail replacement buses so they should have known better, in reality though a lot of this is left up to the bus/ coach driver.

Yeah that is that policy. I asked the bus driver 3 times (asked then replied "so I can bring my bike on", I can definitely bring the bike?"), walked back down the stairs and picked up my bike for him to immediately stand up and go "what do you think you are doing, you can't bring bikes on here"! The SWT guide then started moaning about how I shouldn't have bought a bike to the station etc.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I am pleasantly surprised to hear this.

Even if the driver agrees to carry a bike onboard though, will the vehicle have been appropriately insured for such purposes?

34D

Established Member
I am pleasantly surprised to hear this.

Even if the driver agrees to carry a bike onboard though, will the vehicle have been appropriately insured for such purposes?

The coach will be fully insured to carry both passengers and their luggage on a hire and reward basis.

Buses on rail replacement work is a whole other story....

Status
Not open for further replies.