• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refunding unused excess ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malton Seadog

Hi all,

Long, embarrassing story short:

I was meant to be flying from Stansted the other day, but got all the way down there from northern England before realising I'd forgotten my passport. I decided not to fly, as it was a cheap Ryanair flight and the admin fees for changing etc. would have been too much.

I had an advance ticket back up north for Saturday, so paid the excess (£55) to travel back on the day I decided not to fly. I bought this from the Stansted ticket office.

HOWEVER, when I had bought the ticket, I received a call from a family member who said they were on their way down to pick me up, therefore I didn't need to use the train.

In my stupidity, I didn't ask at the ticket office for my money back, as my mind was all over the place.

Is there a procedure I can now take to try and reclaim some of the money from my unused Excess ticket? I realise the Advance tickets are non-refundable, but the Excess was a standard off-peak single.

Would I send it off to the operators of Stansted Airport station, seeing as that's where I bought it? This is Abellio Greater Anglia, I believe.

Many thanks,

An idiot.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The Excess is indeed refundable (subject to an admin fee), and it would need to go back to AGA as they sold it.

Theoretically, you SHOULD be able to hand it in at ANY Ticket Office and they should forward it to AGA on your behalf, but some staff don't like doing so and it's sent via ordinary post, so there's no tracking and minimal compensation should it get lost.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
It should be noted, for clarity, that only the excess fare is refundable (minus a fee), the fare paid for the Advance ticket (and the change of travel plan fee) remains non-refundable.

Last edited:

scott118

Both AGA and XC run services from SSD. AGA turn left out of the tunnel and XC turn right, depending on your destination.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Both AGA and XC run services from SSD. AGA turn left out of the tunnel and XC turn right, depending on your destination.

Abellio also, or at least did the last time I checked, run services out to the right. Can't see where this becomes relevant though?

Established Member
transportphoto:2147566 said:

Abellio also, or at least did the last time I checked, run services out to the right. Can't see where this becomes relevant though?
I think he's implying the OP could send his ticket to XC as well as GA?

island

Veteran Member
The excess can be refunded with a £10 admin fee by the TOC that sold it. This is in this instance Abellio Greater Anglia. Bringing CrossCountry, who don't operate any ticket offices, into it is really rather irrelevant. The ticket can be handed in person to an AGA ticket office or posted to their customer services department. In either event, the refund is likely to be by way of a cheque posted out to you.

As mentioned above, the underlying Advance fare is non-refundable.

scott118

I think he's implying the OP could send his ticket to XC as well as GA?

Yep. However, it has since been stated it must be returned to the OP's owning ticket TOC, for the refund. If this northern monkey, can forget their passport, perhaps they may think, that having to use XC to return home, that it was indeed them, who could issue the refund, minus admin fees.

AGA, do run a CBG-SSD shunt. However those that travel north from SSD, tend to use XC, as opposed to changing at CBG for onward connections.

Malton Seadog

Thanks all - apart from Scott. Northern monkey, indeed. ;)

For what it's worth, my proposed route was via Stansted Express to Tottenham Hale, tube to Euston and then Virgin up north.

I've gone via Peterborough with XC before, but that's irrelevant in this argument isn't it. seeing as the ticket office is run by AGA? I'll post it off to them today with a covering letter.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.