• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refurbished Eurostar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolwinder

As far as I was aware one set was all but done. However, that's just what I've heard from various sources so I could be wrong!

The contractor (CEIT) for the interiors has gone into liquidation and all the components being manufactured by them or sub contactors have been seized by the liquidators. Consequently the only completed units are the two powercars 3015/6. All the trailers are still "work in progress".

There is an idea that the trailers from the 3008/9 will be used in the testing of 3015/16 powercars

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lyonsajh

The contractor (CEIT) for the interiors has gone into liquidation and all the components being manufactured by them or sub contactors have been seized by the liquidators. Consequently the only completed units are the two powercars 3015/6. All the trailers are still "work in progress".

There is an idea that the trailers from the 3008/9 will be used in the testing of 3015/16 powercars

Turning into one big old mess is this refurb!

Worse thing is they need it - the trains are a disgrace

ModernRailways

Established Member
I've just seen this photo posted to Facebook. Could this be a refurbished set or is it just a repainted old set? Seems odd the coaches haven't been done, so could it just be the refurbished power car?

68283_10152997610242004_4811965354634282287_n.jpg

Established Member
The power cars are being repainted but none of the refurbished coaches are in service yet - looks pretty odd not having the coaches painted too!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Can't read the number in the picture; it looks like 3211 although so far the only ones reported have been 3015/6, so has a second pair now been repainted?

anme

Established Member
Turning into one big old mess is this refurb!

Worse thing is they need it - the trains are a disgrace

I'm a regular user of the Eurostar and I really don't recognise this comment. A refurbishment is always welcome but the trains seem perfectly fine to me today. They were a lot worse before the last refurbishment which if I remember correctly was in the middle of the last decade.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I thought they were still okay inside, albeit my judgement is only based on first class.

However, the exterior of the power cars WAS a disgrace. I don't think that's an overreaction!

sprinterguy

Established Member
I've just seen this photo posted to Facebook. Could this be a refurbished set or is it just a repainted old set? Seems odd the coaches haven't been done, so could it just be the refurbished power car?
I travelled on this set on Friday, and it is just the one power car of set 3211 that has been repainted. The carriage interiors are just the same as always, no refurbishment.

airinter

I thought they were still okay inside, albeit my judgement is only based on first class.
However, the exterior of the power cars WAS a disgrace. I don't think that's an overreaction!

I dont know if the Business Premier coach is always the same and if that one gets better maintenance than the Standard Premier ones, but both standard classes come with wornout moquette and some of the interior is really filthy, especially around the windows and the ventilation grills.
The exterior is usually disgusting and they do not seem to clean the powercars at all unless they are taking promotional photos (and then again some of the latest pictures were photoshopped).
I have never seen a Thalys in such a poor state.

Yew

Established Member
I cant believe they've gone for gray after seeing the EC repaints. It looks like they are still in primer. However if they where in metallic gray I think they would have looked good. Then again, why design a livery around the train, when you can apply bland and generic corporate branding.

I would guess the liquidators would be keen to sell the interiors to Eurostar, as I can't imagine many other customers for a bespoke 373 interior

flash

It is indeed 3211.

You find its 3015/6. Eurostar renumber the outside cab numbers to align with the coach numbers. Next time you see a repainted powercar you will notice a set of numbers midway down the power car - this is the power car number in international format.

For this reason it's very rare to see 3999 out and about - it's nearly always renumbered to match the coaches!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Most of the time I've seen 3999 it's been carrying that number - I've only seen it twice with the number panel switched with the one from the power car it's covering for.

Talking of which... What is 3999 covering for at the moment anyway?

Attachments

• 3999.jpg
    3999.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 118

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I think it may have looked nicer if the yellow at the front went down as far as the bottom of the light clusters

whhistle

On Moderation
I am surprised at all the effort they put in to protect their name and image, yet they have a mish mash of image on their livery.
Surely there is a spare train to refurbish... as in... the whole of it?

MCR247

Established Member
I wouldn't say the put in that much effort in over their image, they've always seemed very complacent to me

fgwrich

Established Member
At this rate I wonder what's going to be around first - the first E320 In service, Refurbished Eurostar Set or the equally delayed Hornby Eurostar in the new livery with matching trailers!

ModernRailways

Established Member
At this rate I wonder what's going to be around first - the first E320 In service, Refurbished Eurostar Set or the equally delayed Hornby Eurostar in the new livery with matching trailers!

I have a feeling they will unveil the first refurbished 373 at the same time as the E320. Just a hunch, but it seems they are going that way now!

Kentish Paul

Waiting on the 11:42 South Eastern departure at St Pancras today saw 3211 and 3212 leave on either end of the 11:30 departure resplendent in their new colours.

Looked strange as the rest of the train was as original and filthy.:(

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was travelling yesterday from Germany to STP, in a horrid seat 54, with hardly any view, but I did just seem what appeared to be a couple of new style trains in Eurostar livery, not sure if they were in service or just waiting. The ends almost looked like the newer trains that EMT & GC use.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I was travelling yesterday from Germany to STP, in a horrid seat 54, with hardly any view, but I did just seem what appeared to be a couple of new style trains in Eurostar livery, not sure if they were in service or just waiting. The ends almost looked like the newer trains that EMT & GC use.

One of these?
8682113096_249ab3803e_z.jpg

That's a Cl374 - they were supposed to be in service next year but delays with getting international approvals for both 374s and the related ICE3NG have delayed the entry into service.

AFAIK They haven't yet had approval to run in the UK yet (so a couple of sets are in storage at Temple Mills)

Searle

Established Member
Pretty sure I saw one stored just outside of Bruxelles Midi, and I would assume there's also one out of Gare du Nord as well, although I haven't seen one there.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Meanwhile, SNCF has just withdrawn the three full length 373s they snaffled for their domestic services ( 3203/4, 3225/6 and 3227/8 ) and they are already being stored at Vaires, from where they will go for scrap at either Baroncourt or Culoz. The NoL sets are to be withdrawn in December.

Source: Today's Railways Europe issue 227, page 9, which includes a photo of 3203/4 being towed away... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.