• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refurbished Eurostar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anme

Established Member
The problem still exists; checks are performed at the UK end, but it does not prevent people reaching the UK before being checked.

Is this the problematic "stance of the Belgium authorities on the existing services" that you were referring to? Or was that something else? I'm curious because I'd like to understand what the difficulties are on running new services beyond Brussels.

I also didn't experience any checks at St Pancras recently (in the last 12 months) when travelling from Brussels. As far as I know, the Lille loophole problem has been solved with the new arrangements in Brussels and on the train for travellers to Lille. Do you know differently?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ModernRailways

Established Member
Hornby has leaked what the refurbished sets will look like and it's pretty much as we expected.

r3215.jpg
"

Clicky here for the Hornby store page

Death

Established Member
Hornby has leaked what the refurbished sets will look like and it's pretty much as we expected.

http://www.hornby.com/media/catalog...df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/3/r3215.jpg
Clicky here for the Hornby store page
Hi guys! <D
Sorry it's been so long since I was last here (And also for posting to an old thread) but with the constant distraction of Facebook it's all too darned easy to forget about all the other places I used to visit nowadays! :shock::sad:

Anyways...I came across this thread whilst searching about (And in total shock from only just learning of) the scrapping of the three SNCF 373 sets a few months ago, and thought ye might be interested in the following attachments (Viewable to logged-in users) that I snapped at St. Pancras on Tuesday. 8-)
Don't know if the internal refurbishments have been started yet (This Behemoth was coming in literally just before I left for Paris) but the power cars of 373211 and 373212 are now bearing the new E300 livery. :)
RailUK-Death-20150210-373211-01.jpg RailUK-Death-20150210-373211-02.jpg RailUK-Death-20150210-373211-03.jpg RailUK-Death-20150210-373211-04.jpg

Aye. I do have to say though the sudden (In my case) news that three of the 373 sets have been sent for scrap has actually upset me quite a bit indeed, especially as there aren't many words that can accurately make clear just how much I love the class*. :cry:
(* - Well, there is a video or two from last weeks Eurostar bash...But those'll have to wait for a bit alas. Seems like my cheap Vivitar camera - Assisted somewhat by an unsuccessful attempted distraction robbery at Montmartre - Managed to partially destroy the filesystem on my memory card! :oops: )

Just so I know though; Does anybody have any gen on the scrap value of a Class 373 consist (i.e: 2x 373 half-sets) in todays money? If the Class 374s do cause displacement of more of them, I might be very tempted to go shopping around Booths... :lol:<D;)
>> Death <<

Now...How does one go about fitting the TASS from a 390 onto a 373?... ;)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If the Class 374s do cause displacement of more of them, I might be very tempted to go shopping around Booths... :lol:<D;)

The 374s will, everyone expects, cause a further ten class 373s to go for scrap but I suspect that all scrapping will take place in France at the same secure* location that the first three - and the withdrawn TGVs - met their end.

*For secure read out of the sight of cameras - I am given to understand that the actual scrapping pricess takes place inside a large tunnel...

sprinterguy

Established Member
Anyways...I came across this thread whilst searching about (And in total shock from only just learning of) the scrapping of the three SNCF 373 sets a few months ago, and thought ye might be interested in the following attachments (Viewable to logged-in users) that I snapped at St. Pancras on Tuesday. 8-)
Don't know if the internal refurbishments have been started yet (This Behemoth was coming in literally just before I left for Paris) but the power cars of 373211 and 373212 are now bearing the new E300 livery. :)
Interesting to note that Eurostar have already managed to muck up one of the re-liveried power cars by fitting nose panels around the light clusters in the old livery. With the generally poor external state of the Eurostar sets these days and the tired, drab interiors, they don’t give much of an impression that they care about the presentation of their service!

89-763-733

(3122/3212) Does that set have its correct power cars now or is it still running with those from 3015+3016?

Death

Established Member
The 374s will, everyone expects, cause a further ten class 373s to go for scrap but I suspect that all scrapping will take place in France at the same secure* location that the first three - and the withdrawn TGVs - met their end.
A further TEN 373s to be scrapped?!?! That's not just a tragedy, that's absolute Effingham sacrilege! :cry::shock::cry::sad::cry::shock::cry:

We can only hope that the new 374s find themselves "Ankunft...Sowie, ein tausend wöchen später vorfahren"* or one reason or another...
* - Yes, I like Deutsche Bahn by The Wise Guys... :grin:

*For secure read out of the sight of cameras - I am given to understand that the actual scrapping pricess takes place inside a large tunnel...
Secure and out-of-sight scrapping of trains? What on Earth do Alstom/SNCF think that they have to hide?... :shock: :sad:

And also: Surely - If one is willing to offer more than the aggregate scrappage value of a trainset - It'd be in Eurostars best commercial interest to accept sale and reuse of the unit, rather than insisting on destruction?

Ten displaced 373s in the hands of Virgin EC and converted to 373/3s would not only mean a most welcome return of the White Rose services, but would offer a FAR more epic alternative to the new Class 800s, too! <D;)
>> Death <<

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
A further TEN 373s to be scrapped?!?! That's not just a tragedy, that's absolute Effingham sacrilege! :cry::shock::cry::sad::cry::shock::cry:

We can only hope that the new 374s find themselves "Ankunft...Sowie, ein tausend wöchen später vorfahren"* or one reason or another...
* - Yes, I like Deutsche Bahn by The Wise Guys... :grin:

Secure and out-of-sight scrapping of trains? What on Earth do Alstom/SNCF think that they have to hide?... :shock: :sad:

And also: Surely - If one is willing to offer more than the aggregate scrappage value of a trainset - It'd be in Eurostars best commercial interest to accept sale and reuse of the unit, rather than insisting on destruction?

Ten displaced 373s in the hands of Virgin EC and converted to 373/3s would not only mean a most welcome return of the White Rose services, but would offer a FAR more epic alternative to the new Class 800s, too! <D;)
>> Death <<

For all we know the 10 that will get scraped might be getting towards being life expired. They've been in service for just over 20 years so will probably have clocked up many thousands of miles (wouldn't surprise me if some of the 373s have clocked over a million miles), so of them are bound to be a little knackered

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I estimate they could easily be within the 4 - 5 million miles range, assuming an average of 2½ trips per day ( ie one return and a further single trip ) for 300 days in each year per set.

duesselmartin

Established Member
why do the French scrap out of sight, and is that only with High Speed Trains or all types?
Seems a bit silly.
20 years, considering I remember them entering service. I must be getting old ;)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
why do the French scrap out of sight, and is that only with High Speed Trains or all types?
Seems a bit silly.
20 years, considering I remember them entering service. I must be getting old ;)

Don't worry you're not on your own, I too can't get my head around the fact they are scrapping class 373s, TGVs etc. when it only seems like two minutes ago since they entered service. Guess it must be an age thing:(

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think someone said on one of the threads here it's because they don't want pictures of TGVs being cut up plastered all over the internet and the media.

Speaking of this strong desire to protect the TGV's image, I wonder if they've ever realised what the TGV logo looks like when inverted...?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I think someone said on one of the threads here it's because they don't want pictures of TGVs being cut up plastered all over the internet and the media.

Speaking of this strong desire to protect the TGV's image, I wonder if they've ever realised what the TGV logo looks like when inverted...?

Brilliant:lol: that version might be more appropriate applied to the side of a Northern Pacer;)

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
[QUOTE: P. Muggeridge]

Speaking of this strong desire to protect the TGV's image, I wonder if they've ever realised what the TGV logo looks like when inverted...?[/QUOTE]

See attached.

Attachments

• logo-tgv-escargot.jpg
    logo-tgv-escargot.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 51

airinter

[QUOTE: P. Muggeridge]

See attached.[/QUOTE]

They are well aware and the term “logo escargot“ is well known. Although the logo is still visible on most TGV, it has been replaced by a bland TGV in a sansserife typeface and is officially no longer in use.

34D

Established Member
I hadn't realised that any eurostar and TGV sets had been scrapped.

Are many of the original orange PSE sets left? I realise they were repainted grey in 90s.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Are many of the original orange PSE sets left? I realise they were repainted grey in 90s.

As far as I know 36 of the PSE sets have been withdrawn so far, some of the others are even getting another refurbishment so they'll be around for a while yet.

34D

Established Member
As far as I know 36 of the PSE sets have been withdrawn so far, some of the others are even getting another refurbishment so they'll be around for a while yet.

Okay thanks. Will there be any preservation attempt? Arguably one has as much claim to be in our NRM as the bullet does.

I hadn't realised that any Eurostar and TGV sets had been scrapped.

Just in case you're not aware....

Out of the original 31 Three Capitals sets (28 Eurostar and 3 SNCF domestic), only 24 are left in service, according to Eurostar.
So apart from the 3 SNCF ones that have been, or are being scrapped, 4 Eurostar sets have also been withdrawn from use.

Those 7 sets, along with the 6 and 2 spare half sets of NoL trains, means that 13 Class 373 Eurostar sets have been withdrawn from use and have either been scrapped or are in line for scrapping.

One Eurostar set was broken up and used as a working test bed for the refurbishment program and I have read that another went to a French railway test centre.

When the new Class 374 (e320) Velaro's are delivered, including the second add-on batch, another 10 Class 373's will be pulled out of service. Leaving 14 refurbished sets in place.

The trailers from 3203/4 are being used to test refurbished power cars - currently 3009/10 - in France; presumably that is the set you are thinking of?

I can't remember if it was on this forum, or on another, where the subject of remaining numbers and what has happened to the withdrawn sets was discussed. Someone gave the details there, but IIRC, the set went to a centre in the SW of France for dismantling and destructive testing, or some such, as part of a research project.

Maybe the one you are talking about is where the passenger cars were being used as refurb test beds and the power cars as you describe.

It's frustrating that there is very little authoritative information or reporting, on the history of this fleet, since its initial delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.