• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Refurbishment of the D Stock Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

District Dave

Those of you who are avid watchers of the District line will, I'm sure, already be aware that there are three refurbished trains now in passenger service.

The latest news is that 'Train 4' hasstarted returning to Ealing Common depot - I noted two cars arriving today on low loaders, so the rest should follow in the next couple of days.

IIRC the cars were 7005 and 17005.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've been on one once, briefly! It looked very nice. I didn't get the chance to sit down and sample the seats though!

Met Driver

Established Member
They're a definite improvement on the pre-refurb stock. The only issue I have with them is the PIS - it never keeps quiet.

District Dave

Seth said:
They're a definite improvement on the pre-refurb stock. The only issue I have with them is the PIS - it never keeps quiet.

Correctly, the 'auto announcer' is the CIS - Customer Information System.

This is a moot point in my view - the dividing line between providing adequate information and overload, but this seems to be the trend - rightly or wrongly - and not just with London Underground rolling stock.

The seats are not as comfortable as the 'old' ones and - again - this seems to be a trend in both refurbished and new build rolling stock.

However, I can confirm that the whole of Train 4 has indeed arrived at Ealing Common depot and appears to have been at least physically made up. I presume commisioning and testing will now follow, and it to will then enter service.

T

Tom

The CIS is just too quick, last carriage leaves Olympia.... "The next station is Earl's Court" :mrgreen:

District Dave

tubechallenger said:
The CIS is just too quick, last carriage leaves Olympia.... "The next station is Earl's Court" :mrgreen:

Whilst I tend to agree that the announcements are a bit premature in some places, don't forget that they are largely aimed at assisting the physically and visually impaired.

They *should* give the passenger ample time to get ready to leave the train etc. OK - I know on the Olympia run this is a bit daft, but the system is designed for the whole of the line - so it's in the 'generic' programming I presume.

I *think* it also is influenced on a 'distance to go' basis, so that when the train is x metres away from its next stop, the CIS will announce.

T

Tom

That figures then, you don't even leave Ealing Common before Acton Town gets announced... ;)

Met Driver

Established Member
District Dave said:
I *think* it also is influenced on a 'distance to go' basis, so that when the train is x metres away from its next stop, the CIS will announce.

It's lucky they don't use it on the Picc in that case! You'd get a few problems in the Leicester Sq-Covent Garden & South Ealing-Northfields areas :mrgreen:.

Jim

Established Member
District Dave said:

would have some problems doing that setup on the Northern Line

District Dave

Jim said:
District Dave said:

would have some problems doing that setup on the Northern Line

I assume that the distances would be programmable on the equipment, and that they've adopted wht is considered 'optimum' for the District.

Not sure - I'd have to speak to my contacts at the company that's producing the equipment.

Nick

What Train is the first to be done at Litchurch Lane, and whats the last to be done at Wakefield?

Dave A

Got on one between Embankment and Tower Hill today. I was quite suprised when I saw it gliding into the station ;)

What an improvement. My bottom felt much more at home on the refurbs than the others :P And it seems quieter, or is that just me :? Anywho a great ride and a great experience except for those annoying announcements every 5 seconds :x But thats probably cause the stations are so close.

So I fun day was had by me (and my bottom) :mrgreen:

Dave A

tubechallenger said:
Did it announce Cannon Street before Monument? ;)

I'll check ;)

Edit: Yes it did :o I didn't hear that first time round :oops: :shock:

Why does it do that?

Edit: And it says change at Cannon St for the DLR :lol:

jd

Oooopsss! I think someone is in deep excrement for that!

I *finally* got to see one passing me while I was on a Southern train, between Olympia and West Brompton.

Status
Not open for further replies.