• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Regular trip - Loughborough - Croydon East

Status
Not open for further replies.

headingsouth

I do a weekly commute between Loughborough and Croydon East - Monday morning - back to Loughborough on Fridays.

On other regular trips I've done I've been able to book well in advance and get some good savings - even making it worthwhile to go First class, but I can't seem to find a way to do this for the current trip.

I am using the East Midlands trains to St Pancras then FCC to East Croydon.

Appreciate any advice/tips - I had wondered about trying to get a cheaper ticket to another destination or "reversing" the trip (starting in Croydon) but nothing seems to be working out.

If I can't do anything that's fair enough.

I don't have any railcard or priv entitlements or anything.

Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
Hello!

According to thetrainline, EMT Advace tickets are available from £16 one way, but browsing thetrainline, they seem to be few and far between, particularly Monday Mornings and friday Afternoons (for obvious reasons). Even Saver Singles, however, can be cheaper.

What times are you travelling?

headingsouth

Thanks for the reply - I think you've found the same issue which is great for me cos it means I'm not missing something obvious - many thanks

I usually get the 7.22 from Loughborough and head home leaving st pancras around 16.30 - 18.00, but I could stick to a regular train if I had to - I just can't stray very far from these times unfortunately.

I was wondering about trying to get a reserved ticket to another destination then only using part of it (the St Pancras to Loughborough part) and buying an open return for the st pancras to croydon leg - if only I could find a suitable destination - I remember travelling between l'boro and bath very cheaply once ......
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
hmmm just checked the Bath Spa route and that's no better - oh well.

By the way, my thinking was that the cheap fare plus standard would still be cheaper than the total open return cost - maybe it was a daft idea :) anywhere.

me123

Established Member
Afraid the cheapest you're likely to get is the £109 SOR, although you should keep checking to see if you get a good cheap fare some day.

T

Tom

On my travels, if I can, I generally try to get an advance purchase ticket to a destination further than I'm trying to go. For instance, Bournemouth to Nuneaton can be a real bargain if you're lucky.

If you travel to East Croydon and you want to really save as much money as possible but don't mind taking odd routes in London, then have a look at taking the District to Wimbledon then tram it over to East Croydon.

It's generally cheaper to get a ticket that sticks to a single operator where possible, with your Loughborough to London St Pancras International East Midlands Trains High Level platforms. ;)

headingsouth

Thanks for the reply - I did check but the london-loughborough fare is only about £9 less (from memory) which doesn't make it worth lugging my bags on the tube and tram - appreciate the idea though.

paul1609

Established Member
Try breaking your journey down like this;
Loughborough to Bedford SOR £39.00
Bedford to St P SDS £22.80
ST P to East Croydon CDS £4.10
East Croydon to Bedford CDS £21.90
Total £87.80
Saves £ 21.20 over a SOR.
Your trains have to call at Bedford in both directions.
You could save another £7.45 per week by buying a network Railcard and using it on the East Croydon to Bedford leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.