• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Regulated Stations London Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millisle

I came across this description in Appendix AA of the London Travel Watch Review of Ticket Office Closures, November 2016. This appendix listed stations exempt from the review, of which these eleven stations are one of the groups as their status as RSLUs means they still have ticket offices. Nine are on the Bakerloo and two on the District. A web search on what is meant by this designation got me nowhere. I wonder if anyone could be kind enough to explain it.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The stations are Queen's Park Kensal Green to Harrow and Wealdstone on the Bakerloo and Gunnersbury and Kew Gardens on the District. These used to be British Rail stations and so are protected against the ticket office closures elsewhere.

Last edited:

higthomas

Why does this status prevent their ticket offices being closed? Many a mainline ex-BR station has lost its ticket office.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why does this status prevent their ticket offices being closed? Many a mainline ex-BR station has lost its ticket office.
They are not prevented from closure, it just requires consultation. Following consultation, certain stations had their closures put on a hiatus. There is no such requirement for LU ticket offices hence they all closed, but Queens Park-Harrow/Wealdstone (except Willesden Jct), Gunnersbury, and Kew Gardens have NR ticket offices managed by LU and thus have/had regulated opening hours requiring consultation.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Further to this, new ticket machines are being installed at these LU stations with full Oyster availability and with the same NR availability.
As these new machines are commissioned the ticket offices will be closed:

Gunnersbury, Kew Gardens: mid-June
Wembley Central: early-July
Harrow & Wealdstone, Queen's Park: mid-July
Harlesden, Kenton, South Kenton: early-August
North Wembley, Stonebridge Park: mid-August
Kensal Green: late-August (last LU ticket office)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Further to this, new ticket machines are being installed at these LU stations with full Oyster availability and with the same NR availability.

I hope there is some sort of commemoration on Kensal Green's last day - is there an actual specific date yet?

LeeLivery

Established Member
For stations like Harrow & Wealdstone, Wembley Central and Stratford I can't help but think it would of been better to pass on operation of the ticket offices to London Overground, Crossrail or Greater Anglia instead of just closing the ticket offices. Why did the former Silverlink operated stations go to LU instead of LO?

greatkingrat

Established Member
Presumably because LU run more trains to these stations than the Overground does.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For stations like Harrow & Wealdstone, Wembley Central and Stratford I can't help but think it would of been better to pass on operation of the ticket offices to London Overground, Crossrail or Greater Anglia instead of just closing the ticket offices. Why did the former Silverlink operated stations go to LU instead of LO?
Stratford was a Greater Anglia station and transferred to TfL Rail, who still provide a booking office and TVMs. It has a complex bit of joint responsibilities with various companies providing different services on each platform, with LU running the gateline, but it is not like the other stations.

cjp

Does this mean next time I get delay repay any underground station will be able to add them to my Oyster?
Or just stations like Ealing Broadway?

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Does this mean next time I get delay repay any underground station will be able to add them to my Oyster?
Or just stations like Ealing Broadway?

Just stations like Ealing Broadway, i.e. NR-operated stations with Oyster facilities.

mattdickinson

The machines have now been installed at Gunnersbury & Kew Gardens. They offer tickets to all National Rail stations (I tried Penzance and Wick), and tickets starting from other stations. The menu also had a greyed out button for ticket collection, and Oyster Travel card extensions outside the zones just led to a blank screen.

mattdickinson

The machines have now been installed at Gunnersbury & Kew Gardens. They offer tickets to all National Rail stations (I tried Penzance and Wick), and tickets starting from other stations. The menu also had a greyed out button for ticket collection, and Oyster Travel card extensions outside the zones just led to a blank screen.

The same machine is also installed at the Westfield entrance at Stratford.

bicbasher

Established Member
Presumably these are the same TVM's that LO/Arriva Rail London stations will get after those ticket offices are (eventually) closed?

mattdickinson

Presumably these are the same TVM's that LO/Arriva Rail London stations will get after those ticket offices are (eventually) closed?

The new London Overground TVMs (seen at Kentish Town West) seem to be floor to ceiling screens with a journey planner, but running the current TVM interface.

The ex-Silverlink TVMs on the Bakerloo line now all have signs that they are unable to accept cards at present.

There is an London Underground Oyster TVM at Queens Park, which has a sign on it saying that it can now only top up PAYG, and now longer load Travelcards.

bicbasher

Established Member
The new London Overground TVMs (seen at Kentish Town West) seem to be floor to ceiling screens with a journey planner, but running the current TVM interface.

Forest Hill has one of these new TVM's. Very slow compared to the older ones.

Railguy1

Wembley Central was still open on Saturday. But I noticed the machines had a technical fault which prevented people from collecting reserved tickets (something like that).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

There is an London Underground Oyster TVM at Queens Park, which has a sign on it saying that it can now only top up PAYG, and now longer load Travelcards.
Sorry, I missed these posts when they were originally posted. But, no these are not the same machines, the new machines are completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.