• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reimbursed more than I expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

HST274

On Monday I travelled from University to Worcester. I arrived in good time for the 1756 train to Worcester Shrub Hill but due to the cancellation I had to catch the 1827 train leaving the train at WOF. Despite the admittedly small fare I applied for delay repay to donate to charity of +30 mins however thought this was wrong as the arrival times were less than 30 minutes apart (I initially went off the departure times by accident). However now in the event I have received 100% for 60 minutes plus delay. I assume they immediately presumed I caught the next train to Shrub Hill which was around 1 and bit hours later but the question is:
What do they go off to decide how long you are delayed.
Do they always go off the exact station you go to even when they are very close or characterised as 'xxx' stations (E.G Worcester Stations)
Has this happened to anyone else

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
A couple years ago I was travelling from Bristol to Andover on a SWR service which got cancelled, meaning I arrived around an hour late with a long fester at Salisbury from the following GWR service. When I put a claim in the system randomly generated a massive delay based on waiting overnight in Bristol to catch the first SWR service on the Monday morning. Failed to take into account the GWR services.

dgl

Established Member
Adding to this, I once got a letter from GWR saying that as the incident was not their fault I was not entitled to delay repay, despite enclosing a cheque as a gesture of goodwill for more than the cost of the return ticket, wasn't going to argue!

4COR

I've had this from GWR as well - Oxford to Caterham (itinerary via Redhill on any permitted ticket). Train from Oxford cancelled at short notice; went on Chiltern instead, and a proper dash (!) across London on the Tube, and I got there just under an hour late. Submitted claim for 30-59min delay.

Email saying delay repay approved for 60-119 min delay - obviously stuck to route and that was the delay it presumed had occurred.

CrispyUK

I don’t think it was incorrect to claim for a 30-59 minute delay, Delay Repay is against your planned journey, which in your case was to arrive for 18:33 at Worcester Shrub Hill. Although you’ve arrived at Worcester Foregate Street only 27 minutes later at 19:00, you then still need time to get to Shrub Hill (either a 15 min walk or arriving 19:20 using a GWR service between the two, making the delay to your original planned journey over 30 minutes.

Not sure why it’s ended up being processed as a 60+ minute delay though, unless the GWR service was also cancelled/delayed on the day? Or the system is only using WMT services to determine the next available option?

zero

GWR once reimbursed me more than the entire price of a 3-day rover for a 1 minute delay (which caused a missed connection of 1 hour).

Also I once had an open return from Cornwall to London and broke my journey many times over a week. On one short hop I was delayed 2 hours. They compensated me more than the price of the entire ticket, and I didn't even pay for the ticket (because, technically against the CoT, my friend used the outbound and gave me the return).

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
TPE have sent me a full refund before on a 59 minute delay. I've no idea if it was an accident or just goodwill on the basis that it was close enough to an hour!

I remember once claiming from Northern for a 60 minute delay on a Lancashire Ranger.

They started out by sending me only half of what I was entitled to, so I complained and received the other half.

A week later, they proceeded to send me the entire amount of what I was entitled to again.

This was in the early days of Carillion running the show at Arriva Rail North, where things were clearly very sloppy as all of my compensation was sent out on handwritten cheques. They also weren't exactly the speediest when it came to addressing any claims in the first place!

Jamiescott1

I remember once I was on a work trip, work brought the ticket but I was delayed an hour plus so ended up £50 better off

island

Veteran Member
If you claimed honestly and have been sent more than the policy entitles you to, I would say that treating the excess amount as a gesture of goodwill is entirely reasonable.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Strange that all these cases of receiving more than was due don’t seem to have led to anybody telling the TOC that this has happened. But, contrary to popular belief, it’s evidence that mistakes are not always in the happen in the TOC’s favour.

skyhigh

Established Member
Strange that all these cases of receiving more than was due don’t seem to have led to anybody telling the TOC that this has happened. But, contrary to popular belief, it’s evidence that mistakes are not always in the happen in the TOC’s favour.
The TOC could argue that the claim is also incorrect - are you able to claim for a delay when you decide to catch a train to an alternative station, even if it's in the same city? If the passenger had taken the train from the origin to the destination stated in the claim (assuming the journey stated in the claim for was University to Shrub Hill), then the payment is correct...

HST274

I think a few pounds too much donated to charity is not exactly a reason to tell the TOC the mistake. 100£ is a different matter. :lol:

cornishjohn

Or we are so fed up with being auto-denied most of our claims, and the consequent laborious appeal process, that the occasional "win" is morally acceptable as "compensation".

How would a TOC deal with a request to pay back an over-compensated amount anyway? The overpayment is already in my bank account.

Haywain

Veteran Member
How would a TOC deal with a request to pay back an over-compensated amount anyway? The overpayment is already in my bank account.
I suspect that in most cases the TOC would ask for the overpayment to be regarded as a goodwill gestures being informed of it. But that’s not a reason not to tell them. In the same way, if given too much change in a shop I would tell them but many people would just walk away (but create an enormous fuss if they were short changed).

The TOC could argue that the claim is also incorrect - are you able to claim for a delay when you decide to catch a train to an alternative station, even if it's in the same city? If the passenger had taken the train from the origin to the destination stated in the claim (assuming the journey stated in the claim for was University to Shrub Hill), then the payment is correct...
I wasn’t referring to one specific claim.

MotCO

Established Member
In the same way, if given too much change in a shop I would tell them but many people would just walk away (but create an enormous fuss if they were short changed).

It reminds me of the joke where someone received too much change and told the assistant "You've given me the wrong change". The assistant assured the shopper that the change was indeed corrrect, so the shopper went merrily on their way with the extra change in their pocket!

Haywain

Veteran Member
It reminds me of the joke where someone received too much change and told the assistant "You've given me the wrong change". The assistant assured the shopper that the change was indeed corrrect, so the shopper went merrily on their way with the extra change in their pocket!
Hilarious - it’s the way you tell them.

ta-toget

I don't get it…

MotCO

Established Member
Hilarious - it’s the way you tell them.
I don't get it…

The cashier was insistent that they had given the correct change, whereas the shopper knew otherwise. However the shopper did not say that they had too much change, just the wrong change. By getting the cashier to state tha the change was correct, the shopper could go home with a clear conscience.

Ok, I'll just stick to the Jokes thread :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.